Bread Pudding

Midwest101
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As the holiday season comes around I love a nice bread pudding. I also like to add some WT101 to the custard mix.

Recipe as follows:

-1 loaf of bread, I like to use challa or brioche, cut into about 1" cubes, placed in a greased metal baking pan

For the liquid custard:

- 1 C heavy cream

- 2-1/2 C whole milk

- 1/2 C sugar

- 6 eggs

- 1 table spoon vanilla extract 

- few dashes of cinnamon

- good splash of bourbon

Combine all the ingredients for custard, making sure the eggs are beaten nicely, and pour over the bread. I refrigerate for an hour or two to let the bread soak. Bake for about an hour at 375 until it passes the tooth pick test. If it's not sweet enough for ya, some maple syrup finishes it off just nicely.

That sounds pretty good.

I wonder, could cooked rice be substituted for the bread to make rice pudding?

22 hours ago, PaulO said:

That sounds pretty good.

I wonder, could cooked rice be substituted for the bread to make rice pudding?

Absolutely!     And, if one suffers from Celiac disease, that's a must.    Rice (or tapioca) can be used to make a terrific, if rather different pudding.    Serve any of 'em with a home made hard sauce to really live the life.

5 hours ago, VAGentleman said:

Here's a link to Kurtz's restaurants Biscuit Pudding.  Similar but a little more hearty.  I make this every christmas and its a hit

http://www.atasteofkentucky.com/shop/kitchen/kentucky-biscuit-pudding-with-jim-beam-bourbon-sauce-recipe.php?atokID=h4vvq924eohndljikpie339i97  I'm with you in substituting WT for JB

Looks good!

My wife makes awesome bread pudding for me. She also makes a 'hard sauce' to top it basically consisting of a stick of butter, brown sugar and bourbon melted and combined in a sauce pan. Try that instead of your maple syrup!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.