What Water of Life did you purchase today? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:13 PM, Caskstrength said:

It was about the same price as the current watered-down release.  Nevertheless, at least in Australia, I think the current release Talisker 25 is overpriced, especially since the 18 is availablr for around 66% less.

Yes, and when I find the Tali 18 at a great price I tend to stock up! At this point anything under $100 gets my attention.

On 1/11/2017 at 9:14 AM, BigRich said:

A store had Oban 18 at $99 so I had to pull the trigger 

I passed on a 2008 Oban 18 at $150 today.  Never seen it before.  Also passed on 2011 Lagavulin 12

Picked up 2 Dalwhinnie 15's on clearance at Wally World for $40 each - I probably should get a few more...3e09f3c6561a60662052fe537d72ce0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

28 minutes ago, gusto16 said:

Picked up 2 Dalwhinnie 15's on clearance at Wally World for $40 each - I probably should get a few more...3e09f3c6561a60662052fe537d72ce0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Might want to avoid the ones lying on their side though! Can't be doing those corks much good and it doesn't say much for the general whisky knowledge of the liquor store personnel either. Then again it is Wally World so expectations aren't exactly high!

Noticed that Glendronach 18 & 21 are disappearing from the shelves and if there around the prices are starting to escalate.

Thought I better pick up a 21 year old bottled in 2015. Got it for 150.00 out the door with tax for a 750ml.
I love 21 yr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Noticed that Glendronach 18 & 21 are disappearing from the shelves and if there around the prices are starting to escalate.

Thought I better pick up a 21 year old bottled in 2015. Got it for 150.00 out the door with tax for a 750ml.
I love 21 yr.

Well done.  Yup, I am definitely seeing the same thing, and I am very glad I was out ahead of this and stocked up on the 15, 18 and 21.  15 is gone, 18 doesn't really get restocked, and the 21 had not been restocked until recently at $250.  I think I paid about $150 for my bottles of the 21.  This is the same thing that I am seeing with Aberlour and others.  Sometimes, our bunkers really serve a purpose, with all of these price increases, let alone availability issues.

Edited by jeffrey r

Well done.  Yup, I am definitely seeing the same thing, and I am very glad I was out ahead of this and stocked up on the 15, 18 and 21.  15 is gone, 18 doesn't really get restocked, and the 21 had not been restocked until recently at $250.  I think I paid about $150 for my bottles of the 21.  This is the same thing that I am seeing with Aberlour and others.  Sometimes, our bunkers really serve a purpose, with all of these price increases, let alone availability issues.

Aberlour is disappearing too off the shelves?
Which would u recommend?

Aberlour is disappearing too off the shelves?
Which would u recommend?

Not quite. Just a big price hike with Aberlour. I don't think they have the strains in stocks like Glendronach, especially with those older Glendronach expressions.

In Aberlour's range, I would definitely recommend the A'Bunadh for a sherry bomb. The 18 is terrific. Both of those have shot up in price quite a bit recently, so while I was a buyer of A'Bunadh at $70-$80, I won't be at $120 and up anytime soon. The 12 NCF is excellent as well. 16 is good, and the regular 12 year expression is just decent.

Couldn't resist adding another Flaming Heart to the bunker.  Been seeing this on their shelf for months and telling myself I've got plenty - but have convinced myself I am unlikely to find many bottles at this price that I'll like as much or more (at least on the dark side).

IMG_20170204_150836.jpg

Couldn't resist adding another Flaming Heart to the bunker.  Been seeing this on their shelf for months and telling myself I've got plenty - but have convinced myself I am unlikely to find many bottles at this price that I'll like as much or more (at least on the dark side).
 IMG_20170204_150836.jpg

And bananas too!!

4 hours ago, BigRich said:

And bananas too!!

I've learned coming home with JUST whiskey can be dangerous ;) 

Finally got a bottle of Kilkerran 12, look forward to opening in 4 months or so.

(have to get through other bottles first)

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, Caskstrength said:

Finally got a bottle of Kilkerran 12, look forward to opening in 4 months or so.

image.jpeg

I managed to get two bottles of this yesterday.  I really enjoy Springbank 10 and so was willing to take a chance on getting the extra bottle.

8 hours ago, Caskstrength said:

image.jpeg

My bottle is about 1/2 gone. I really, really like it!

11 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I managed to get two bottles of this yesterday.  I really enjoy Springbank 10 and so was willing to take a chance on getting the extra bottle.

I've stopped buying more than one bottle of most things now, I feel too "hoarderish" otherwise.

Tell myself that there's always another good bottle around the corner.  Hoping to remain level headed!

Couldn't resist a Talisker Store "on sale" for $35.  Recall this one was priced all over the map ($35 - $85), and admit I got suckered in by the signage ("Reg Price $86.99; BIG SALE $35.99!)

A rather awesomely coloured Clynelish. 20 year old, NCF and under £60. Sometimes I wonder why I bother with bourbon at all. 

clynelish.png

44 minutes ago, beasled said:

A rather awesomely coloured Clynelish. 20 year old, NCF and under £60. Sometimes I wonder why I bother with bourbon at all. 

clynelish.png

Excellent!  Let us know how it is.

2 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Excellent!  Let us know how it is.

I've got the rest of the day off so I had a small pour this afternoon. Well, I bought 2 more. It's the perfect balance of sherry (which I like but I'm not overly fond of sherry-bombs) and those classic Clynelish waxy notes, and there's a brilliant warmth to it towards the finish. 

There was a Gordon & MacPhail cask strength sherry release last year which was similar, obviously with more oomph (it was 54%). This is better I think. 

3 hours ago, beasled said:

I've got the rest of the day off so I had a small pour this afternoon. Well, I bought 2 more. It's the perfect balance of sherry (which I like but I'm not overly fond of sherry-bombs) and those classic Clynelish waxy notes, and there's a brilliant warmth to it towards the finish. 

There was a Gordon & MacPhail cask strength sherry release last year which was similar, obviously with more oomph (it was 54%). This is better I think. 

I was guessing it might be sherry + wax.  Congrats, that sounds delicious. 

Went out looking for an older sherry fix.  Was surprised to see Amrut Intermediate Sherry made it to the shelves of a local store.  Went ahead and bought one, for reasons.

Blood was already in the water, so I went back to my original objective.  I ended up choosing a Bunnahabhain 18 over a Glenfarclas 25.  I'd like to try the Glenfarclas, but the reviews just aren't all that glowing.  Maybe I'll look for a 21 instead . . . Oh well.  Bunnah' 18 never disappoints.

3 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Went out looking for an older sherry fix.  Was surprised to see Amrut Intermediate Sherry made it to the shelves of a local store.  Went ahead and bought one, for reasons.

Blood was already in the water, so I went back to my original objective.  I ended up choosing a Bunnahabhain 18 over a Glenfarclas 25.  I'd like to try the Glenfarclas, but the reviews just aren't all that glowing.  Maybe I'll look for a 21 instead . . . Oh well.  Bunnah' 18 never disappoints.

I presume you have had the Intermediate Sherry before? Surprisingly good the first time I tried it considering my expectations were not all that high for Amrut in the early days when it first started appearing on shelves.

12 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I presume you have had the Intermediate Sherry before? Surprisingly good the first time I tried it considering my expectations were not all that high for Amrut in the early days when it first started appearing on shelves.

I actually have not.  My Amrut education has been sorely lacking.  I really enjoyed Fusion, and the reviews have been very good for Intermediate Sherry.  I actually have a World Whisky themed tasting with my local whiskey group, and this seemed like a good one to spring on them.  Prior to finding this, I was planning on bringing Naraangi, but some of the folks going to the tasting didn't seem too excited about that one.

Just now, garbanzobean said:

I actually have not.  My Amrut education has been sorely lacking.  I really enjoyed Fusion, and the reviews have been very good for Intermediate Sherry.  I actually have a World Whisky themed tasting with my local whiskey group, and this seemed like a good one to spring on them.  Prior to finding this, I was planning on bringing Naraangi, but some of the folks going to the tasting didn't seem too excited about that one.

Yeah, I tried the Naraangi at Whiskyfest last fall and was not impressed. I think you will do well with the Intermediate Sherry.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.