What Water of Life did you purchase today? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The GBS stockpile has arrived! A little whiskey, a little rum, a little funky marc/brandy.

58c6e7877902e_CaroniGlenturretJacoulot.jpg.bcaa326d919a9919898cd9163c55636a.jpg

In addition I picked up a bottle of the newish Redbreast Lustau sherry forward Irish Whiskey for the up coming St. Paddy's celebration. It has yet to arrive locally and I got tired of waiting.

A motley (but delicious) crew! Some interesting literature on the boxes of the Jacoulot and the Redbreast Lustau if I recall correctly. Looking forward to hearing the final tasting lineup for the St. Patrick's Day festivities.

Found a store with some anCnoc 16 which is one of my favourites so picked up a bottle. Might go back next week and clear them out. 

Picked up a Knappogue Castle 12yr PS.  I hate to admit I was suckered in mostly by the store's email that it was aged in Four Roses bourbon barrels, but was pleasantly surprised with the 92 proof (and it doesn't state NCF anywhere on the label, but I'd bet that it is!)  

Picked up another Knappogue Castle 12yr for the bunker.  Having not found a lot of Irish whiskey that hits my sweet spot (at least for what I'm willing to pay for it!), I think having a back-up is justified.  

I bought a bottle of 2015 Kilchoman Machir Bay last night.  I've liked the 2014 bottling, so this was an easy choice.

On 3/19/2017 at 0:56 AM, Kepler said:

Glenmorangie 10 Year packaged like this one

Glenmorangie-The-Original-Highland-Single-Malt-Scotch-Whisky-Gift-Set-1.jpg

I picked this up a couple of years ago - love getting basically "free" samples of other stuff with a full sized bottle!

I picked up a bottle of Craigellachi 13 yesterday.   I don't know anyone that has tried it, so this was a leap of faith in online reviews.  

9 hours ago, Darwin said:

I picked up a bottle of Craigellachi 13 yesterday.   I don't know anyone that has tried it, so this was a leap of faith in online reviews.  

I got a bottle at the beginning of the month and have had about a quarter of it so far. I love it. A drop of water does wonders to it as well. Thinking about picking up the 17 at some point. 

Let us know what you think!

Picked up two bottles of Benromach 10 y/o for $44 on sale.  I really enjoyed my first bottle of it a year ago, and it went quickly.  I've got a bottle of the imperial proof, which is nice, but remember that the 10 y/o 43% abv was such a good dram!

IMG_8993.JPG

As a gift to myself, I went ahead a grabbed a Hibiki 21 at $250.  I know it's a lot but I really enjoy the 12, so figured having a dram of this sparingly should be enjoyable!

As a gift to myself, I went ahead a grabbed a Hibiki 21 at $250.  I know it's a lot but I really enjoy the 12, so figured having a dram of this sparingly should be enjoyable!

That's a great price. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Bought a bottle of Yamazaki 12 last night.

What was the cost?

3 hours ago, RussianBourbonLover said:

What was the cost?

It's going for $84.95 at the state-controlled liquor stores.  The Hakushu 12 and Hibiki 12 go for that, as well, when they can be found.  A shipment just came into the state and there don't seem to be any bottles of the Hibiki 12 and only a few of the Hakushu 12 across the state.  A few Hibiki 17 and Yamazaki 18 also appeared but seem to have been allocated out to the bars before hitting the shelves.  The Yamazaki 12 is the only one that is a bit more plentiful, to the point that the bars didn't get it all.

Got this
8484c9b79bea168eec669f18944d28eb.jpg
CB Peat Monster Reserve Edition 1.75L!!!

AND this
b0f6537ab8297dd904569214862f9cb7.jpg
Nikka Miyagikyo 12 yr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:46 PM, Journeyman said:

It's going for $84.95 at the state-controlled liquor stores.  The Hakushu 12 and Hibiki 12 go for that, as well, when they can be found.  A shipment just came into the state and there don't seem to be any bottles of the Hibiki 12 and only a few of the Hakushu 12 across the state.  A few Hibiki 17 and Yamazaki 18 also appeared but seem to have been allocated out to the bars before hitting the shelves.  The Yamazaki 12 is the only one that is a bit more plentiful, to the point that the bars didn't get it all.

You are getting new shipments of Yamazaki 12yo age stated? Not to mention the Hibiki 12. Hakushu I think still carries its age statement. But haven't seen the others with an age statement in quite some time. All we get now are the NAS versions.

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

You are getting new shipments of Yamazaki 12yo age stated? Not to mention the Hibiki 12. Hakushu I think still carries its age statement. But haven't seen the others with an age statement in quite some time. All we get now are the NAS versions.

We do indeed seem to be getting new shipments.  Very few bottles of Hakushu 12 showed up, and there weren't any Hibiki 12 that I could find.  But we did get a shipment of Hibiki 12  a few months ago, which surprised me, since I'd read that it had been replaced by Hibiki Harmony NAS.

I didn't see a seperate thread for Irish, so I will post this here. My buddy has some health problems and his MD cut him down to beer & wine only. so like the gentleman that he is he dropped of his whiskey holdings to me. 2 bottles of 86 proof Bushmill's Black Bush & a bottle of Bushmill's Millenium Malt, also 86 proof. He bought them coming back from Ireland, never opened them. At least 25 years old. I opened the Millenium, tastes just fine. There was also a Rock Hill Bourbon in the collection as well as a Tullamore Dew crock jug. All it cost me was a duck dinner & some wine for him & his wife. 

On 4/12/2017 at 9:12 AM, beasled said:

craig.png

Wow, great color on that Craigellachie!

I snagged a bottle of Laphroaig 16yo from Douglas Laing's Old Particular line that K&L just brought in. Bottled at cask strength of 53.2%, from a refill hogshead. I haven't been drinking much Islay whisky recently, but this one spoke to me and the price seems more than fair.

30 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Wow, great color on that Craigellachie!

I snagged a bottle of Laphroaig 16yo from Douglas Laing's Old Particular line that K&L just brought in. Bottled at cask strength of 53.2%, from a refill hogshead. I haven't been drinking much Islay whisky recently, but this one spoke to me and the price seems more than fair.

I do like the Old Particular range i think they're good value (here in the UK at least).

Looking forward to that Craigellachie, just need to make some space in the 'open' section for it first.

2 hours ago, beasled said:

I do like the Old Particular range i think they're good value (here in the UK at least).

Looking forward to that Craigellachie, just need to make some space in the 'open' section for it first.

Yes, from what I've seen the OPs have been a good value here as well. The ones K&L has been bringing in have been especially reasonable - the Laphroaig I mentioned was $90, which seems well below the going rate for independently bottled teenage CS Laphroaigs. Unfortunately, like you, I'll need to clear some space on the Scotch shelf before I crack it open.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.