What Water of Life did you purchase today? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My lovely bride picked this up for me today as a little thank you for watching the dogs while she went shopping.  I think I'll keep her.

IMG_4962.jpg.9d5165e5f9c15f4c1271a00a14eb1e26.jpg  IMG_4964.jpg.abdb23dae42641881f7ae422a41d3976.jpg

44 minutes ago, Tennessee Dave said:

My lovely bride picked this up for me today as a little thank you for watching the dogs while she went shopping.  I think I'll keep her.

IMG_4962.jpg.9d5165e5f9c15f4c1271a00a14eb1e26.jpg  IMG_4964.jpg.abdb23dae42641881f7ae422a41d3976.jpg

Nice gift! She's definitely a keeper. That's my birth year too. I'd love to find something distilled the year I was born.

She is definitely a keeper!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, another resolution of "align purchase to consumption" took a dump today.  On a quick business trip to San Jose, and thought it was perfectly reasonable to spend a few hours heading over to K&L's Redwood city location.  First time ever visiting any of their shops, after drooling over their website for years.  At one point had five bottles before whittling it down to these three.  Can't wait to get home and open these babies up!  

All three are single barrel, cask strength, NCF, with no color added:

1987 Glenturret 28 Yr Old Single Malt 49.7%
1988 Strathclyde 28 Yr Old Grain 58.2%
1997 Auchentoshan 19 Yr Old Single Malt 53.3%

I've never had anything from Glenturret (and don't own anything from the others, but have had limited experience), so a bit of a leap of faith - but at least not a bank-breaking leap!

IMG_20170222_172428.thumb.jpg.49eda551308cfa562e82980aadd79ae1.jpg

11 hours ago, GaryT said:

Well, another resolution of "align purchase to consumption" took a dump today.  On a quick business trip to San Jose, and thought it was perfectly reasonable to spend a few hours heading over to K&L's Redwood city location.  First time ever visiting any of their shops, after drooling over their website for years.  At one point had five bottles before whittling it down to these three.  Can't wait to get home and open these babies up!  

All three are single barrel, cask strength, NCF, with no color added:

1987 Glenturret 28 Yr Old Single Malt 49.7%
1988 Strathclyde 28 Yr Old Grain 58.2%
1997 Auchentoshan 19 Yr Old Single Malt 53.3%

I've never had anything from Glenturret (and don't own anything from the others, but have had limited experience), so a bit of a leap of faith - but at least not a bank-breaking leap!

IMG_20170222_172428.thumb.jpg.49eda551308cfa562e82980aadd79ae1.jpg

Very nice! Not had those myself but the Old Particular range is reliable. 

Picked up a Laphroaig 18 myself along with the Springbank Local Barley 11 year. 

2017-02-23_1538.png

My local scotch group talked me into putting an order in for a couple bottles of the SUPER TOP SEKRIT RECIPE SO EXCLUSIVE WE CAN ONLY PUT IT IN 500ML BOTTLES Octomore that was on their website until I bought the last two.  I am probably going to regret that, but I bet someone from my group will end up asking to split the order with me.

some Islays

a11fecd9-25b3-4c15-93c8-26b219bf8b01_zps

Kavalan from Taiwan aged in ex bourbon barrels

cb27e02c-6583-4281-b96e-1dfd5ac2f0fd_zps

Virginia Distillery Port finished Highland Malt Whisky--apparently Malt Advocate's craft distiller of the year

04ae3577-28f3-4dc8-9d15-eddf00f058dc_zps

Edited by bigtoys

On 2/25/2017 at 6:03 PM, bigtoys said:

some Islays

a11fecd9-25b3-4c15-93c8-26b219bf8b01_zps

Kavalan from Taiwan aged in ex bourbon barrels

cb27e02c-6583-4281-b96e-1dfd5ac2f0fd_zps

Virginia Distillery Port finished Highland Malt Whisky--apparently Malt Advocate's craft distiller of the year

04ae3577-28f3-4dc8-9d15-eddf00f058dc_zps

I had the Kavalan this weekend (not the Binny's pick).  The bourbon influence is strong.  It almost tastes like if you mixed a Scotch with a bourbon.  Let me know what you think.

Target store had this last bottle on clearance for 50% off.  $16.48.  Easy decision to bring this home for tasting.

CRNHR.jpg

3 hours ago, kwshannon said:

Target store had this last bottle on clearance for 50% off.  $16.48.  Easy decision to bring this home for tasting.

CRNHR.jpg

It's a nice easy sipper and easy to drink but nothing fancy. At that price I would get several. 

Snagged a bottle of Redbreast 12 on sale at Costco for $38.99. I don't buy much Irish whiskey but that's the cheapest I've ever seen it, and St. Patrick's day is right around the corner.

1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

Snagged a bottle of Redbreast 12 on sale at Costco for $38.99. I don't buy much Irish whiskey but that's the cheapest I've ever seen it, and St. Patrick's day is right around the corner.

Pretty cheap, especially in your area! Pretty much in the $60 range locally all the time these days. Just a shame it isn't the cask strength!

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Pretty cheap, especially in your area! Pretty much in the $60 range locally all the time these days. Just a shame it isn't the cask strength!

If it was the cask strength I probably would have bought a few! But yes, Costco's sale prices here are incredible. It's hard to imagine they make much (or any) money on some of these items but I imagine they're only bringing in items they can get great deals on and that they can move quickly.

As its March i am shifting gears to Irish. Finished off a Redbreast 12 that i am not sad to see go. Only 80p so i resisted adding water for the longest time but it did improve it for me and I was was shocked. It never reached the point where i really liked it i just disliked it less. There was always a strong ethanol note to this that i couldnt get past. I want to like Irish whiskies but have a hard time finding anything I genuinely enjoy. I cracked a Teeling single malt and only had a couple pours so far so the jury is out, i certainly prefer it to RB12. The thing that kills em is i get into a dram and realize i would be happier with a nice EWBiB.

2 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

As its March i am shifting gears to Irish. Finished off a Redbreast 12 that i am not sad to see go. Only 80p so i resisted adding water for the longest time but it did improve it for me and I was was shocked. It never reached the point where i really liked it i just disliked it less. There was always a strong ethanol note to this that i couldnt get past. I want to like Irish whiskies but have a hard time finding anything I genuinely enjoy. I cracked a Teeling single malt and only had a couple pours so far so the jury is out, i certainly prefer it to RB12. The thing that kills em is i get into a dram and realize i would be happier with a nice EWBiB.

This was supposed to go in the what are you drinking thread.

6 hours ago, beasled said:

Ledaig 18 was going cheap so picked up a bottle. Loved the 10. 

Never had the 10, but was recommended to look for young Ledaig in sherry - and really love the one example of those I came across!

24 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Never had the 10, but was recommended to look for young Ledaig in sherry - and really love the one example of those I came across!

Ledaig 10 is all ex bourbon and proud of it.  At least in flavor, not 100% sure of the composition.  Very different animal.  About the closest thing I could compare it to would be Ardbeg or Laphroaig 10, but that's not quite right either.  At any rate, if you like those I would expect you to enjoy Ledaig 10.

8 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Ledaig 10 is all ex bourbon and proud of it.  At least in flavor, not 100% sure of the composition.  Very different animal.  About the closest thing I could compare it to would be Ardbeg or Laphroaig 10, but that's not quite right either.  At any rate, if you like those I would expect you to enjoy Ledaig 10.

There's a citrus/brine thing the 10 has going on that I absolutely love. It's not as phenolic as Laphroaig/Ardbeg but still quite peaty. Delish.

The GBS stockpile has arrived! A little whiskey, a little rum, a little funky marc/brandy.

58c6e7877902e_CaroniGlenturretJacoulot.jpg.bcaa326d919a9919898cd9163c55636a.jpg

In addition I picked up a bottle of the newish Redbreast Lustau sherry forward Irish Whiskey for the up coming St. Paddy's celebration. It has yet to arrive locally and I got tired of waiting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.