The Four Roses 'V' yeast that wasn't really a V.

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

^^^^Ahhhh.........the not too distant memories of the last gleaming days of the glut era. 

So much bourbon, at such great age and viscosity.  They still had that mindset of 'we've got to do something with it'. 

If they only knew then, what we know now.

Another story about a "mix up" with FR's. I was part of a FR's ps barrel pick few years ago. After the pick, Jim Rutledge took all of us out to lunch. It was a fun and educational experience. We ate and talked a lot about bourbon. Somewhere along the line, someone asked about the 2009 FR's Marriage. Jim kinda gave a wry smile as he explained what happened with that. He was going to be away from the distillery when the barrels were dumped. He left instructions as to just how many barrels of each recipe were to be dumped. I can't remember the number of barrels, or the two recipes, but whatever it was, when they dumped the barrels, whoever was in charge at the distillery got the ratios reversed.  (numbers, letters and age used only for example) In other words, it was supposed to be 30 barrels of ABC recipe at 8 years old, and 15 barrels of DEF recipe at 14 years old. What was dumped was 30 barrels of DEF at 14 years old, and 15 barrels of ABC at 8 years old. That was why the 09 Marriage turned out to be so hot and spicy. A few people, including myself, didn't care much for it, but a lot of folks loved it. FWIW, with my tastes having changed a bit over the years, I'd probably like it more now. ^_^

Another example of how a "mistake" kinda turned out to be a good thing for most folks.

Joe

9 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Another story about a "mix up" with FR's. I was part of a FR's ps barrel pick few years ago. After the pick, Jim Rutledge took all of us out to lunch. It was a fun and educational experience. We ate and talked a lot about bourbon. Somewhere along the line, someone asked about the 2009 FR's Marriage. Jim kinda gave a wry smile as he explained what happened with that. He was going to be away from the distillery when the barrels were dumped. He left instructions as to just how many barrels of each recipe were to be dumped. I can't remember the number of barrels, or the two recipes, but whatever it was, when they dumped the barrels, whoever was in charge at the distillery got the ratios reversed.  (numbers, letters and age used only for example) In other words, it was supposed to be 30 barrels of ABC recipe at 8 years old, and 15 barrels of DEF recipe at 14 years old. What was dumped was 30 barrels of DEF at 14 years old, and 15 barrels of ABC at 8 years old. That was why the 09 Marriage turned out to be so hot and spicy. A few people, including myself, didn't care much for it, but a lot of folks loved it. FWIW, with my tastes having changed a bit over the years, I'd probably like it more now. ^_^

Another example of how a "mistake" kinda turned out to be a good thing for most folks.

Joe

Well dang! I had never heard that one before. Thanks for adding that to the story Joe. Wild Turkey gets some grief over the veracity of the story behind Forgiven. This just goes to show that this kind of thing can happen anywhere.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 0:39 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Joe

A great example of a shitty fake "mistake" that turned out awful:

Woops I put 1000 barrels of young corn whiskey with the "good" bourbon.. my bad.

Orphan Barrel Gift Horse.  What the hell...  Thank god I was tasting a friend's bottle.

Edited by namadio
"good"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.