The Boulevardier...new for me

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Don't know if this would be a Negroni variation or Manhattan variation but it is very good.

1 and 1/2 oounce bourbon or rye

1 ounce Campari

1 ounce sweet vermouth

Mix in glass, stir with ice for about 20 seconds, strain and pour into a chilled coup glass.  Garnish with orange peel.

If anyone is looking for a great cocktail book I highly recommend the one that Death & Co. has produced entiled Death & Co. Modern Classic Cocktails.

I do enjoy the Boulevardier.  I back off a bit on both the SV and Campari though, as they can really dominate the whiskey (particularly the Campari) for my tastes.  Throw in a few shakes of chocolate bitters for a "Left Hand"!  Good stuff!

17 hours ago, Tennessee Dave said:

Don't know if this would be a Negroni variation or Manhattan variation but it is very good.

1 and 1/2 oounce bourbon or rye

1 ounce Campari

1 ounce sweet vermouth

Mix in glass, stir with ice for about 20 seconds, strain and pour into a chilled coup glass.  Garnish with orange peel.

If anyone is looking for a great cocktail book I highly recommend the one that Death & Co. has produced entiled Death & Co. Modern Classic Cocktails.

Def a Negroni variation. Just subbing whiskey for gin. And as Joe says ( and your posted recipe indicates)  amping the whiskey up from the usual 1:1:1 ratio works well. For ease I just do 2:1:1. And he's spot on about the chocolate bitters. Yum! 

Well you made me thirsty and my first "hello weekend"  drink was :

2 oz OWA

1 oz Punt e Mes

1 oz Aperol(no Campari on hand)

2 dashes Fee Bros Aztec Chocolate bitters

stirred on a big cube and garnished with a Maker's  infused cherry.  

That's the ticket.

Edited by Old Dusty

Death Bed Manhattan

2 oz Old Overholt Rye

1/2 oz Carpano Antica

1/2 oz Noily Prat dry

2 dashes Angostura

Garnish with orange peel.

IMG_4343.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 6:43 PM, Tennessee Dave said:

Which chocolate bitters do you guys use?

Bittermen's Xocolatl Mole bitters and the Bitter Truth Spiced Chocolate bitters are two interesting but somewhat different options. They originally collaborated until Bittermens got big enough to stand on its own some years ago and do their own production.

Fee bitters kind of mimics Bittermens a bit with their Aztec chocolate bitters. They are perhaps more readily available but I think not quite as good. They are glycerin based instead of alcohol based. Lots of other brands now have a chocolate bitters now (brands seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days) but Bittermens has always been a good choice to me. Of course it is also generally also more expensive and might be harder to find. But they can last quite a while if kept well sealed since you don't use that much per drink!

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Fee bitters kind of mimics Bittermens a bit with their Aztec chocolate bitters. They are perhaps more readily available but I think not quite as good.

I'd second that opinion. Fee chocolate Bitters don't do much for me. They were the only chocolate variety available at my usual place, and I discovered I didn't care for them. Time to shop around.

Following the lead here. Subbing aperol for campari.  2-1-.0.5 oz of bourbon, vermouth, and aperol , respectively.

IMG_20161121_190525142.jpg

Man I tell you I am loving the Boulevardier.  I can see why that bitterness of the Compari is addictive.  Got to find the right Gin for the Negroni.  What do you guys recommend?

13 hours ago, Tennessee Dave said:

Man I tell you I am loving the Boulevardier.  I can see why that bitterness of the Compari is addictive.  Got to find the right Gin for the Negroni.  What do you guys recommend?

The classic is a main stream London Dry like Tanq or Beefeaters. Boodles is another hard core piney juniper brand that works well if you want the big classic Negroni blast. Some people swear by the classic and inexpensive Gordon's gin. Need something that can go toe to toe with the Campari!

I think that a subtle citrus-y gin will get buried. The Negroni was never my favorite because for me it seemed like one was enough and then it took awhile to appreciate the subtleties of any other cocktail.

Ok.  Got my chocolate bitters and whipped up a Left Hand thanks to recommendation by @smokinjoe.  I did up the bourbon to 2 oz and cut the Campari to 1/2 ounce.  Drink just screams holidays!  Thanks smokinjoe.

IMG_4379.jpg

On 11/21/2016 at 8:43 PM, Tennessee Dave said:

Any of the Navy Strength gins (usually Leopold's or St. George or Hayman's in our house) so I can keep it simple - 1:1:1.  Campari is required, but we've played around with various sweet vermouths - M&R for crowds of premixed in a pitcher, Dolins for a standard Negroni, Carp Antica for a change, and a local SW called Capitoline for an excellent, special, etc..  Like Bruce, we find one is enough and skews the palate enough that you really won't taste a second cocktail for awhile - great with Italian food, though.

For a Boulevardier, some people might find the grainy, herbal whomp of rye and Campari overwhelming.  Using a wheated bourbon like MM, we think, makes us think we are drinking a sweet, fortified Campari as the MM gets lost.  A happy compromise is JB BIB 1.25:1:1.  Chocolate bitters are good, but if you don't have any, Angostura or even Peychaud's are OK.  BTW, the "we" is my wife and me.  I make them, and we taste them.  She tells me if it curls her toes.  If it does, we write it down.  If it doesn't, I try a new recipe.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.