Bourbon Barrel

Golferpimp1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll echo what others have said and congratulate you on a great find! The barrel looks great and I, too, am a little jealous! A store here recently did an Elijah Craig pick and their barrel is stenciled with the logo. It looks very cool and I know those guys well enough to know they aren't selling :angry:

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

As luck would have it....... :D

Bewildered, befuddled and over a barrel. :huh: Which one should I choose? 

Cheers! Joe

brl.jpeg

• I like it 1

Joe!    Quick!    You need to tip each barrel a little and see which one has the most Bourbon left in it.      That's the one to grab!

• I like it 1

Well, I pick my baby up tomorrow morning. :o I'm pretty sure I know which one I'm gonna choose. I'll try and post tomorrow to let y'all know, and will include a couple of pics too.

Cheers! Joe

Just my own personal guess; but I think Joe may intend re-aging some of his many, many Weller mingles in there....Probably already has enough of em to fill a 53-gallon barrel!    :D 

Now that might be a blend worth tasting!    :P   ....If he doesn't leave it in there too long.  :lol:

• I like it 1

Well, I took possession of my baby today. :D FWIW, they were twins, but I only got one. :mellow: I think the other one ended up going to a good home though. ;) I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my barrel yet. I'm leaning towards cleaning it up and using it as a decorative piece, but there's a chance I could make a couple of planters out of it.

Every since I got into this hobby, I've always wanted a barrel. The problem had always been, room in the vehicle, and driving home 7 hours/400+ miles from Kentucky. This was a no brainer. It was only 10 minutes /4 miles away, and the buddy that let me know about the barrels (he bought a couple too) has a pick up truck. :)

Cheers! Joe

brl1.jpeg

brl2.jpg

brl3.jpg

• I like it 1

Cool! I can see that being a nice table if you have the room

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

That's a good one right there (especially for a known wheater whore:D). 

Nicely done, Joe! 

Edited by Paddy
spelling error

Well, I took possession of my baby today. 

This was a no brainer. It was only 10 minutes /4 miles away, and the buddy that let me know about the barrels (he bought a couple too) has a pick up truck. [emoji4]

brl3.jpg.bf8d698c402f67b185a94ad7bb14679a.jpg[/url]

Wow, that is very cool that you were able to score a barrel so close to home, and an Old Fitzgerald barrel to boot.

My father-in-law turned his bourbon barrel into a table for his back patio. He finished it and put glass on top of it. We eat a lot of meals on his bourbon barrel table when the weather is warmer.

I look forward to seeing what you do with your baby.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My parents have a barrel they bought when they first moved to Hawaii. I don't remember what distillery it was for. I should take a look again. 

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

That's a good one right there (especially for a known wheater whore:D). 

Nicely done, Joe! 

Heee-He!   Paddy is so right, Joe.    This is THE ONE for you.     I'm sure you'll make the right decision with yer new baby.    Happy for you, Buddy.

• 2 weeks later...
On March 18, 2017 at 3:54 PM, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

My father-in-law turned his bourbon barrel into a table for his back patio. He finished it and put glass on top of it. We eat a lot of meals on his bourbon barrel table when the weather is warmer.

I just happened to have a round piece of plexiglass laying around. ;) It was a bit too large, so I went to a glass shop today and had it cut down to size. I'm still not sure if I'll have my barrel inside or out, but regardless, I liked the glass idea. Thanks Fitz.

So, step one is done. I left the protective coating on the plexiglass for now. I'm not sure if I'll get any more work done on my barrel this week. I have a lot of things on my to do list, and there is now a 1936 Plymouth 5 Window Coupe in my garage. Long story. :huh:

Cheers! Joe

bar.jpeg

What you need is a larger piece of glass for the table top, and then get another barrel and use it to make stools, and another barrel to turn into an outdoor bourbon bar, and another to make end tables, and 4 more barrrels to make a bar, and another barrel to make a cooler, and one to make a fire pit . . . the possibilities are endless.

Authentic Occassional Barrel Table   Authentic Open Barrel Display Case    Authentic Barrel End Table    Image result for bourbon barrel table    Image result for bourbon barrel table    Image result for bourbon barrel table

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Joe, I know I'm a little late to the party, but here's an idea for a bourbon barrel coffee table. If you get another barrel, you can make one for your man cave, and one for out on the deck. Then keep the one you have in the man cave.

1624690-438x.jpg

I'm not sure. There may be a fishnbowljoe signature on my barrel.

20170406_162022.jpg

20170406_161038.jpg

Forgive the Georgia pollen.

Edited by jbowl

1 minute ago, jbowl said:

I'm not sure. There may be a fishnbowljoe signature on my barrel.

Sadly no, but I appreciate the thought Joel. One of these days.......... :mellow:

Cheers! Joe

45 minutes ago, Queball said:

Joe, I know I'm a little late to the party, but here's an idea for a bourbon barrel coffee table. If you get another barrel, you can make one for your man cave, and one for out on the deck. Then keep the one you have in the man cave.

Thanks for the idea Dean. Maybe sometime in the future. I've got enough "projects" and other stuff to keep me busy for a while.

Cheers! Joe

3 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Sadly no, but I appreciate the thought Joel. One of these days.......... :mellow:

Cheers! Joe

Couldn't remember if you were on that pick.

• 9 months later...
On 11/26/2016 at 11:19 PM, smokinjoe said:

Excellent!  Now, you'll have to do a little handiwork on the barrel to offset the shrinkage that will occur over time.  Some info here, as well as other places.

After my wife unexpectedly suggested I procure a barrel for use as an end table, I was hoping to find one that would be consistent with my preferences and yesterday picked up this Bowman at the distillery for $150.  I also picked up a John J Bowman and an Isaac Bowman (port finished) but that one suffered some evaporation overnight.   

But I digress - the lady at Bowman strongly recommended I drive self tapping screws (6 per hoop into larger staves to mitigate the shrinkage impact.  I also would like to perhaps clean up the hoops a bit (some minor rust) and preserve the wood and hoops without significantly altering the appearance.  Perhaps a clear stain and matte finish would help to preserve the staves and slow deterioration.   I looked quite a bit over this site but didn't really find a detailed discussion of "how to" or the merits of various options.  Thoughts?  If I'm plowing old ground, can someone direct me to discussions that might help? 

Thanks.

The top is partially wet, I moistened the lid as suggested by my barrel counselor.

redir[1].aspx

20180121_144912.jpg

On 1/21/2018 at 3:10 PM, marshbound said:

After my wife unexpectedly suggested I procure a barrel for use as an end table, I was hoping to find one that would be consistent with my preferences and yesterday picked up this Bowman at the distillery for $150.  I also picked up a John J Bowman and an Isaac Bowman (port finished) but that one suffered some evaporation overnight.   

But I digress - the lady at Bowman strongly recommended I drive self tapping screws (6 per hoop into larger staves to mitigate the shrinkage impact.  I also would like to perhaps clean up the hoops a bit (some minor rust) and preserve the wood and hoops without significantly altering the appearance.  Perhaps a clear stain and matte finish would help to preserve the staves and slow deterioration.   I looked quite a bit over this site but didn't really find a detailed discussion of "how to" or the merits of various options.  Thoughts?  If I'm plowing old ground, can someone direct me to discussions that might help? 

Thanks.

The top is partially wet, I moistened the lid as suggested by my barrel counselor.

redir[1].aspx

20180121_144912.jpg

Personally I like 'em when it looks like they just rolled out of the rickhouse! But I have seen some with a lot of work on then to clean them up and those look good as well. There are barrel hoop nails that you can buy that can help hold up a hoop but they do look a bit obvious.

I take clear polyurethane and paint over the whole barrel including the hoops.  It looks good and also acts like a glue to keep the hoops in place.  No screws or nails needed.  You can sand the barrel first if you want or leave it as is

14 hours ago, VAGentleman said:

I take clear polyurethane and paint over the whole barrel including the hoops.  It looks good and also acts like a glue to keep the hoops in place.  No screws or nails needed.  You can sand the barrel first if you want or leave it as is

I'd be interested in seeing a picture if you can post one.  I wouldn't mind a slight darkening, and don't want it to be very glossy.  I'm also considering buffing the hoops a bit to remove some surface rust.

I have yet another question for anyone who can help - any idea what the markings on top mean (aside from the obvious, of course)?

DSP-VA-35

Bourbon Whiskey

Serial No. 13D-29 021

Filled 4-29-2013

B.C. 53G

And in red, on each side, either an 8-5 or B-5

From the fill date I presume it to be either Virginia Gentlemen, or Isaac Bowman Port Finished, both of which are dumped I believe a little past 4 years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.