Bourbon Barrel

Golferpimp1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

BUMP.  ASmith Bowman Distillery in Fredericksburg VA yesterday (20 July 2018) had six used, (presumably) empty barrels in their reception area with a FOR SALE sign on them - I think it said "$159 each".

I did not go look - too tempting.  Plus, I'm not sure I have a hiding place big enough to hold it indefinitely.:blink:

• 1 month later...

Well, 18 months later........ :huh: I sanded my barrel a second time, and applied the first coat of polyurethane/stain. I took a wire brush to the bands, and painted them with Rustoleum.  I used self tapping screws to secure the bands to the staves. I have a few more screws to go, and will add a second coat of stain, and I'm sure I'll have to touch up some of the paint on the bands. I'm awaiting the contractors to finish installing our new siding. After that, a new front window. When all that is done, I'll have a couple of yards of dirt, and a couple of yards of river rock delivered. Then my barrel will be cut in half and used as planters. Hopefully this will all be done by the end of the month. Fingers crossed. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

barrel1.jpeg

barrel2.jpeg

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Well, 18 months later........ :huh: I sanded my barrel a second time, and applied the first coat of polyurethane/stain. I took a wire brush to the bands, and painted them with Rustoleum.  I used self tapping screws to secure the bands to the staves. I have a few more screws to go, and will add a second coat of stain, and I'm sure I'll have to touch up some of the paint on the bands. I'm awaiting the contractors to finish installing our new siding. After that, a new front window. When all that is done, I'll have a couple of yards of dirt, and a couple of yards of river rock delivered. Then my barrel will be cut in half and used as planters. Hopefully this will all be done by the end of the month. Fingers crossed. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

Joe, ya' had me right up until I read that last part about cutting it in half and using as planters.     It loox so damned good, I'd keep it intact and use it as a patio table. 

Sounds like you have a whole bunch of improvements going on at Casa Joey.     Good for you and little lady, Joe.

• 4 months later...

Biba! Joe
barrel1.jpeg.ecc4bb05cd382cda54a8f6e8918f4b93.jpeg
barrel2.jpeg.81271dac17d46eb8514ee2b722b47621.jpeg

Joe I still have not put screws in mine. What type size did u use?? Also did the self tapping go right through the bands or did u have to drill holes first?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 12:55 AM, Golferpimp1 said:

Joe I still have not put screws in mine. What type size did u use?? Also did the self tapping go right through the bands or did u have to drill holes first?

Yes, self tapping screws will go through the bands, however if is much easier to drill the hole first and then run the screws in. I make bars/cabinets out of bourbon barrels and this always works for me. 

49 minutes ago, kawboyz11 said:

Yes, self tapping screws will go through the bands, however if is much easier to drill the hole first and then run the screws in. I make bars/cabinets out of bourbon barrels and this always works for me. 

What he said. I drilled holes first, then used stainless steel self tapping screws. FWIW, I used Rust-Oleum “weathered steel” aged metallic paint on the bands and screws. Rust-Oleum has a number of different colors of metallic paint that you can use.

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.