Which would you choose or the 2016 LE's

birdie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

Plus I think I read somewhere that they bottled some of the future PVW23 releases ahead of time.  Has anyone got lucky with a PVW23 to see if the laser code shows a 2016 bottling date?

So I just checked my bottle of PVW23 from this year and lo and behold there is no date code on the bottle anywhere.  Or I'm completely blind.  If I hadn't bought it at a reputable store I'd be wondering if it was a fake. 

EDIT:  Strike that.  Date code is there but it's really tiny, I was in a dark room and I'm blind.  Code shows it bottled on March 15th of 2016.  So it was bottled very early which could mean it had some 2015 leftover juice in it I suppose.

Edited by Sluffo

Kind of late to the party so I'm not sure it's still up in the air, but I try to prioritize based on what seems to be the clear best representation of itself in a given year, if any.  

If I recall correctly (entirely possible I am not) PVW20 and 23 seem to be getting positive regard as being relatively good this year, whereas I think the reviews I've read seem to paint this as a somewhat weak year for the BTAC, including WLW.

Kind of late to the party so I'm not sure it's still up in the air, but I try to prioritize based on what seems to be the clear best representation of itself in a given year, if any.  

If I recall correctly (entirely possible I am not) PVW20 and 23 seem to be getting positive regard as being relatively good this year, whereas I think the reviews I've read seem to paint this as a somewhat weak year for the BTAC, including WLW.

Interesting because every review site that I've seen said that the WLW for 2016 was wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, briankeith513 said:

Interesting because every review site that I've seen said that the WLW for 2016 was wonderful.

No.  It's really bad!  No one should buy it if given the opportunity.

If you have made the mistake of already purchasing it I will do you a favor.  Send it to me and I will refund you the MSRP.  PM me for my address.

No.  It's really bad!  No one should buy it if given the opportunity.

If you have made the mistake of already purchasing it I will do you a favor.  Send it to me and I will refund you the MSRP.  PM me for my address.

I consider myself to be a great judge of character, and from your words, I can sense sincerity, I appreciate your concern.

1 minute ago, briankeith513 said:

I consider myself to be a great judge of character, and from your words, I can sense sincerity, I appreciate your concern.

:lol::lol:

1 hour ago, briankeith513 said:

Totally possible I could be thinking of last year, or be completely mixed up.  My point, regardless, was that I would first do my research (not a problem for me, clearly), then prioritize based on what was generally accepted to be the best example of itself this year.

Admittedly, at this point I'm sure most of us would be thrilled to have most any LE bourbon offered to us at MSRP . . .

31 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Totally possible I could be thinking of last year, or be completely mixed up.  My point, regardless, was that I would first do my research (not a problem for me, clearly), then prioritize based on what was generally accepted to be the best example of itself this year.

Admittedly, at this point I'm sure most of us would be thrilled to have most any LE bourbon offered to us at MSRP . . .

I haven't read many reviews (I just strike out on these every year, so it makes me jealous), but Blake at Bourbonr thought WLW was either the best or 2nd best of the BTAC this year (he loved Handy, too, if I recall). 

Honestly, I find it hard to believe that WLW could really disappoint. It's an "older" cask strength wheater from the guys who do the other Wellers, and it shares similar juice to the Pappy line. Sure, it may disappoint if you spend your entire paycheck on it, but at MSRP I doubt I'd be let down with the release.

And yes, I totally agree about the MSRP thing. I grabbed a bottle of 10yr Michter's for $110 this year, and was perfectly happy with that purchase (and I know the rep of Michter's around here).

9 hours ago, Sean Bond said:

Honestly, I find it hard to believe that WLW could really disappoint. It's an "older" cask strength wheater from the guys who do the other Wellers, and it shares similar juice to the Pappy line. Sure, it may disappoint if you spend your entire paycheck on it, but at MSRP I doubt I'd be let down with the release.

2014 WLW was a hot mess. I tried every trick in the book to make it taste awesome but never could get it to sing. Alcohol heat all the time. From beginning to the end of the bottle Never had an issue with other years. It most definitely disappointed.

57 minutes ago, flahute said:

2014 WLW was a hot mess. I tried every trick in the book to make it taste awesome but never could get it to sing. Alcohol heat all the time. From beginning to the end of the bottle Never had an issue with other years. It most definitely disappointed.

Was it just the 2014?  I seem to recall disappointment in the 2015 as well, and maybe a bit of communal letdown for the 2013.  I have to say I liked the 2013, though.

6 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Was it just the 2014?  I seem to recall disappointment in the 2015 as well, and maybe a bit of communal letdown for the 2013.  I have to say I liked the 2013, though.

This is a perfect example of how our individual tastes differ. The 2013 (for me) was the weakest of the last four releases. And I loved the 2014. Enough to trade for a second bottle---that now is about 3 pours from the Empty Bottle Support Group thread. :)  2015 I traded for things I wanted more (incl FR SmB '15)  and 2016 is getting tons of praise but I can't enjoyably drink it neat. Easily the hottest of those four mentioned (to me). This is YMMV all the way. 

2 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

This is a perfect example of how our individual tastes differ...This is YMMV all the way. 

So, so, true.  

Well guys, feel free to send whatever years you feel are too hot right over to Chicago! :D I don't have enough experience with WLW to be disappointed by any of the years, yet, since they're all better than the younger lineup to me.

6 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

This is a perfect example of how our individual tastes differ . . . This is YMMV all the way. 

Much truth here.  For all I know, the reason I preferred the 2013 over the other years was that I opened that particular bottle the night a couple of relatives who had been taking advantage of our hospitality for six weeks FINALLY moved out.  I was never in a situation where a true blind SBS was possible, so it is highly likely.

Edited by garbanzobean

1 hour ago, garbanzobean said:

Much truth here.  For all I know, the reason I preferred the 2013 over the other years was that I opened that particular bottle the night a couple of relatives who had been taking advantage of our hospitality for six weeks FINALLY moved out.  I was never in a situation where a true blind SBS was possible, so it is highly likely.

Hell any Bourbon would hit the spot that night. :D

Maybe WLW isn't quite in your wheelhouse, because it's quite possibly the most wanted Bourbon out there.

Cheers, Jeff

WLW for me all the way.  But, I have an affinity for cask strength offerings.  WLW might be my favorite release each year.  Although I have struck out the last two.  luckily I was able to stock up when they where more available.  I open a WLW and Highland Park 18yo each year at Thanksgiving and drink them through the holidays.  Great tradition.  

I am surprised that there is this much of a consensus on this.  Looks  like a bunch of bourbon drinkers / enthusiasts not marketing / hype susceptible newbs. Part of the reason that I enjoy the opinions expressed here so much. 

• 4 months later...
On 11/29/2016 at 10:12 PM, Sluffo said:

So I just checked my bottle of PVW23 from this year and lo and behold there is no date code on the bottle anywhere.  Or I'm completely blind.  If I hadn't bought it at a reputable store I'd be wondering if it was a fake. 

EDIT:  Strike that.  Date code is there but it's really tiny, I was in a dark room and I'm blind.  Code shows it bottled on March 15th of 2016.  So it was bottled very early which could mean it had some 2015 leftover juice in it I suppose.

By chance could you tell me if your laser code included ":" in the time portion?  I requested a laser code image from a person selling a Pappy 20 from 2016 but the laser code is B160760732M no spaces and no colon.  I've seen laser codes from prior years that have no spaces and have spaces but they both have always included a colon.  I am hoping that since your bottle code is a couple days before mine on March 17th that they should look similar if this bottle is real, even though yours is a 23.  Trying to buy as a gift so I am total amateur but trying to do my due diligence based on everything I've read regarding fakes.    

DSCN4914.JPG

4 hours ago, jbert429 said:

By chance could you tell me if your laser code included ":" in the time portion?  I requested a laser code image from a person selling a Pappy 20 from 2016 but the laser code is B160760732M no spaces and no colon.  I've seen laser codes from prior years that have no spaces and have spaces but they both have always included a colon.  I am hoping that since your bottle code is a couple days before mine on March 17th that they should look similar if this bottle is real, even though yours is a 23.  Trying to buy as a gift so I am total amateur but trying to do my due diligence based on everything I've read regarding fakes.    

DSCN4914.JPG

If you're worried about a fake, worry about the seal, the color of the liquid, the fill level.  Not that I'd know, but my gut would say that if someone was selling a counterfeit, the bottle would probably be authentic with substituted contents and then resealed (less stuff to reproduce/fake i.e. Labels, bottle codes, stopper and the bottle itself),  Just throwing that out there so you look at all angles if you're insistent on delving into the secondary market without any experience.  There are other conversations on here that touch on this subject and a google search of counterfeit whisky may give you more info.  Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2017 at 4:37 PM, jbert429 said:

DSCN4914.JPG

Sorry I'm late to reply, but yes, mine looks just like that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.