Which would you choose or the 2016 LE's

birdie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Looks like I  might have a 'chance', and chance being the operative word, to pick up one of the following, which would you choose, and to add, I have never had any of these before,

Michters 20yr

Pappy 20yr

Pappy 23yr

William L Weller

And its for drinking, albeit a special occasion, not to bunker.

My order would be:

WLW

PVW20

PVW23

M20...I don't know what they charge retail these days but I was offered one at Binnys 2 years ago at $499...I didn't even consider it as I am very skeptical any bottle is worth that...I can only imagine it is higher these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Larue Weller is the best value out of that list IMO, followed by the Pappy 20. 

This, exactly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My order would be:

WLW

PVW20

PVW23

M20...I don't know what they charge retail these days but I was offered one at Binnys 2 years ago at $499...I didn't even consider it as I am very skeptical any bottle is worth that...I can only imagine it is higher these days

I concur with this as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll join the chorus.    WLW, especially this year's edition, if reviews online mean anything (and they often do NOT).    But, that aside WLW is always a stellar pour. 

Pappy is Pappy.    Everybody should have a chance to taste it's iterations; but the newer stuff ain't the same as the stuff from a decade or two back, for sure.

Still a taste being necessary to form an opinion, I'd say buy or beg a TASTE... not a bottle.   Just my opinion, of course.

My list would be the following:

WLW- Always a solid pour and one of the more consistent of the BTAC line. That and I think any of the BTAC is some of the best bourbon "available" in the market today.

PVW 23- Just because it is what it is and you never know if you will get another opportunity to see/find one in the future.

PVW 20- Have heard some not so good things about this years variation of the 20 year. Would get it to trade for 2 bottles of BTAC in a heart beat.

M20- Would most likely pass for numerous reasons.

Unanimity is correct in this case - WLW all the way.

Another unanimous opinion...M20 is a last resort or potential "skip"...for $500+ you can realistically buy a case of something that is definitely good.

If limited to the 4 choices, I would buy:

WLW

WLW

WLW

WLW

WLW

WLW

pappy 20

WLW

in that order, avoiding Michters BS and call it a life well spent

Weller whore that I am, without hesitation I'd  choose the WLW;)

Cheers! Joe

Thanks for the feedback, WLW seems the way to go, so is the Pappy 23 hype more about what people then sell it for, read somewhere that people will sell it online the day after they get it for 10x what they paid for it......unbelievable part of that is someone then buys it!!!!

Assuming this is your only shot (and you've had none of these bottles), I'd probably grab the PVW20, since as has been said, everyone should give it a shot once. With that being said, WLW is my second favorite bourbon all-time (behind last year's  FR LE SmB). So all things being equal, I agree with the consensus that WLW is the way to go. 

My choice would be:

PVW 23

PVW 20

WLW

M20

I know it goes against what everyone else has said so I'll explain my reasoning.  Everyone should try Pappy at some point and if you don't get a chance to buy one at retail, a pour of either PVW23 or 20 can easily be $100-200 at most bars while I've found pours of WLW frequently for $45 or even less.  If it was me picking I'd go with PVW 20, WLW, and then PVW23 since I'm lucky to have bottles of each sitting at home already and I prefer the PVW20.

Edited by ThirstyinOhio

WLW all the way.

I suppose Pappy 15 as a distant second, tho I haven't tasted any from the last couple of years.

Did you get it yet?

I asked myself this question this weekend, prioritize the BTAC and Pappy and what would I pick first... WLW was my top choice.  Stagg then PVW15 would be next, then ER17 and Lot B.  No where in there did you see Pappy 20 or 23 in my list, because honestly, too expensive and not in my sweet spot.

14 minutes ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

I asked myself this question this weekend, prioritize the BTAC and Pappy and what would I pick first... WLW was my top choice.  Stagg then PVW15 would be next, then ER17 and Lot B.  No where in there did you see Pappy 20 or 23 in my list, because honestly, too expensive and not in my sweet spot.

^^^^^ This exactly. I was specifically asked what was most important.

1. WLW

2. GTS

3. PVW15

I love barrel proof bourbons, but I have to say that the past couple of years the Pappy 20y has been outstanding, and the 15y has always been my favorite Pappy. I would have a hard time turning down another 20y Pappy based off of the past 2years. Bottom line, pick what you think will make you happy. They are all great bourbons. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one advantage of the PVW23 over the PVW20 is it has a higher chance of containing a good amount of S-W whiskey. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one advantage of the PVW23 over the PVW20 is it has a higher chance of containing a good amount of S-W whiskey. 

I think, and please correct me if I'm wrong , that it would contain no SW juice (1992+23=2015).

36 minutes ago, grantsi said:

I think, and please correct me if I'm wrong , that it would contain no SW juice (1992+23=2015).

The math is accurate but don't discount stainless steel tanks or individual drums. Could be S-W dribbling out for awhile. That's how HH put out the 20 yr JEF last year. 

16 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

The math is accurate but don't discount stainless steel tanks or individual drums. Could be S-W dribbling out for awhile. That's how HH put out the 20 yr JEF last year. 

Plus I think I read somewhere that they bottled some of the future PVW23 releases ahead of time.  Has anyone got lucky with a PVW23 to see if the laser code shows a 2016 bottling date?

11 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

The 23 year age statement only means that the whiskey is at least 23 years old. 

Even though S-W closed in 1992, I'm not sure that there are stocks from 1993 that would be able to immediately pick up the slack as the new Bernheim distillery had some problems at first. PVW15, for example, was S-W until at least 2010

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.