Willett WFE price increases

ThirstyinOhio
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Willett has greatly increased their prices of their WFE products at the gift shop.  It started with a 25yr rye that they released a few weeks back that use to be about $350 but they increased that price to $750.  Then my buddy picked up a 13yr there two weekends ago and paid $175 which is about $50 more than what they were just a month prior and then they released a 14yr this past weekend priced at $285!  I don't know if they are just trying to maximize the profit on their remaining aged inventory that they purchased in the past or trying to price flippers out of the game.  At $285, I won't be buying very many unless I know for sure that particular release is REALLY good.  I'm not angry at the price increases as its their product and their business and they can do as they wish but it sucks as I've enjoyed the majority of the bottles I've been lucky to get from them and at this price I won't be buying nearly the same amount. 

Edited by ThirstyinOhio
info correction

Bourbon Truth had a recent blog post addressing this very issue.  According to him (and he seems to have good connections with Willett) this is absolutely, at least in part, a response to the flippers.  Wow, I have had several WFE's and some were good, others very good, and others still were great.  For $285 I would hope I was getting something outstanding, but there is no way to know for sure.  Got a birthday rolling around next month.  If any of that 14 year old is still there, may treat myself to one.

This is why I changed my mind about the Bookers Rye. I got one for a buddy of mine & in return he was kind enough to give me a 100ml bottle full from one that he already had open. After drinking it I knew I made a mistake about dismissing this particular LE & was fortunate enough to know where another one was at retail.

- Even if Beam makes another Booker's Rye it won't be the same. Who's to say they ever will though?

- The most important thing is I found it to be an incredible whiskey. (As did everyone else)

- I faced the honest truth. Whiskey prices may level off, but they will never get any cheaper.

Now I can't say I would ever pay that for WFE. If it was legendary though and my palate thought the same. Who knows? I might buy several bottles. Bourbon & Rye seem to gain more steam every day.

Edited by Louisiana

14 hours ago, Louisiana said:

This is why I changed my mind about the Bookers Rye. I got one for a buddy of mine & in return he was kind enough to give me a 100ml bottle full from one that he already had open. After drinking it I knew I made a mistake about dismissing this particular LE & was fortunate enough to know where another one was at retail.

- Even if Beam makes another Booker's Rye it won't be the same. Who's to say they ever will though?

- The most important thing is I found it to be an incredible whiskey. (As did everyone else)

- I faced the honest truth. Whiskey prices may level off, but they will never get any cheaper.

Now I can't say I would ever pay that for WFE. If it was legendary though and my palate thought the same. Who knows? I might buy several bottles. Bourbon & Rye seem to gain more steam every day.

Another bottle was released the other day, a 15yr and I heard it was priced at $225.  That's less than what the 14yr was this past weekend.  I don't know if the 14yr was a pricing mistake or if they are shooting for a specific ROI on each barrel from now on.  The 14yr was only 96 bottles I think, so if the 15 was 120ish, that would net them close to the same amount of revenue per barrel.

I agree with you Louisianna, whiskey isn't getting any cheaper and the prices that I might balk at now could be the prices I yearn for in years to come.

Hell, I thought Willett had already increased their prices. :huh: More than once even......

Good for them.  I'd rather them make money than some bozo who posts bottles for sale as soon as he gets in his car.

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Hell, I thought Willett had already increased their prices. :huh: More than once even......

Oh they have. And then some.

I don't like it, but I like it more than all the guys that would camp out for new releases and immediately post the crotch photos of bottles for sale.

18 minutes ago, flahute said:

Oh they have. And then some.

I don't like it, but I like it more than all the guys that would camp out for new releases and immediately post the crotch photos of bottles for sale.

I hear ya' Steve. 

Unfortunately I think that this is the future of LE bourbon.  Short of limiting releases to KBF in person purchases, I don't foresee any way that the distilleries can satisfy consumer demand for their products without raising prices.  Maybe they will continue to use LE releases to "encourage" liquor stores to carry and sell their other products, but I don't think that is a feasible long term model.  That's a real shame, because that means I have probably obtained all the limited editions that I am going to get.

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^Steve, you sayin' you don't enjoy a good crotch shot?!?:lol: 

Ha! I'd make an exception for a hot female, but no........it's always a dude.

I can safely say that I will never pay more than $200 for a bottle of bourbon.  I don't care if it was bottle especially for Pappy Van Winkle himself and comes with a Cuban cigar rolled personally for Fidel Castro.  To date, I have never paid over $100 for a bottle, close but not over, but I can never say never on that threshold.  I guess I won't be buying any more WFE from the gift shop, oh wait.  I don't pass on LE's but quickly lose interest when they hit three figures.

I understand them wanting to raise prices to "combat the flipper."  The downside is, the 2ndary market jumped proportionally to the price increase immediately.  There are plenty of people out there that don't think twice about paying 2k for something they want.  I know a gal that just bought a 5k comforter for her bed.  She didn't even look at the price tag.  That could've been a ton of bourbon...  maybe she'll get me a nice xmas gift.

• 1 month later...

The issue is what they consider "secondary price" .  In my opinion, the majority of the Willett bourbon (with the exception of some specific bottles) has ZERO secondary value.  Try and sell a giftshop bottle to someone in the Kentucky area and see what they pay ya as i am sure its not secondary.  The reason it sells at all secondary is that is the only way to get it for many people out there who can't drive there and get one.  What they are paying for is someone to drive there buy a bottle(2 max) and then ship that bottle to them.  The flippers are a necessary evil as thats how the stuff gets distributed to other areas.  I know alot of people out of the area praised it as now there is no money for the flippers as thats all they will pay and it cut their margin out.  in that case they will get none as the flippers wont waste their time.  if they want it, the price will go up the same for the flippers to get their cut to make it worth their while.  You dont have people lined up to C&S a bottle thats a pain to get as you cant just pick it up at every store, and is a pain to ship with the tube and is $$$.  So the result is those outside the area pay more to fund the flippers still or do without as it wont be avalible and the local people get to pay a higher price based on an artificial secondary

I was there the week between Christmas and New Years and they had a 12yr at $175 and a 14yr at $204 - bought a couple of the 14's for local SB'rs and a 12 for myself - heard good things about the 14yr and haven't opened the 12 as of yet

2 hours ago, Hop said:

I was there the week between Christmas and New Years and they had a 12yr at $175 and a 14yr at $204 - bought a couple of the 14's for local SB'rs and a 12 for myself - heard good things about the 14yr and haven't opened the 12 as of yet

At KBF in 2013 I bought a 20yr "C" barrel at the gift shop for $200 and thought afterward I had lost my damn mind. Funny how quickly perspectives and prices have changed. 

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:16 PM, Hop said:

What day of the week was it?  I've been hearing the shelves are empty entirely of WFE or the daily allocation sells out immediately in the morning?

I'm going to be a cox's creek (car pool without me driving) picking barrels on the 19th.  Trying to get a stop at Willett in.

Then I'm going back 20-22 and hitting willett tour on 21 (with Barton and HH) with a large groupe of friends.

Fingers crossed a single WFE bourbon is there for me =( but a lot of people have been telling me it was empty when they were there

When I dropped in on my way up or down from visiting the fam in Toronto around Xmas, I popped in while a 13yr was available.

I said to myself "f it, yeah, I'll finally spring for their $10/yr concept and pick up some 13yr". I checked the price, and it wasn't $130, it was $175 or $179.

I was cured instantly of my buyer's impulse.

6 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I was cured instantly of my buyer's impulse.

Okay, who are you, and what did you do with Paul? :ph34r:

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Okay, who are you, and what did you do with Paul? :ph34r:

He's an imposter. He took the real Paul and distracted him with a vat of aged rum that contains no additives.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

He's an imposter. He took the real Paul and distracted him with a vat of aged rum that contains no additives.

Paul has been mysteriously missing from these boards for some time...hmmm.  ;)

Haha I deserve all of this and more. Been a keraaazzy summer, fall and winter, dawgs.

Edited by The Black Tot

They know there are folks who will pay that, but that would not be me.   I *might* pay an extra 20% of MSRP for a bottle of PVW15.  I just don't believe in participating in this escalating madness with *current production* food products developed to be consumed.  But its fun to watch!

7 hours ago, musekatcher said:

They know there are folks who will pay that, but that would not be me.   I *might* pay an extra 20% of MSRP for a bottle of PVW15.  I just don't believe in participating in this escalating madness with *current production* food products developed to be consumed.  But its fun to watch!

Not sure "fun" is the word I would use but it is certainly a curiosity to be sure! I have chosen to only watch for at least a couple of years now and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I did visit the distillery last year. That will likely be the extent of my spending on Willett for the foreseeable future.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.