Peg Leg Porker

Knocksville10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anybody tried this yet? Thoughts? It claims to be a bourbon, that's been charcoal filtered. Probably more smoke to it. I may pick some up on my next spirit outing.

Never heard of it; but the brand name reminds me of a really OLD joke about a very special pig that had saved his owners when their home and barn caught fire.   To make the story much shorter, basically the pig had been receiving adulation from the entire County from anyone who happened past the rebuilt farm house where the pig held a place of honor in a private pen on the front lawn.    One day the pig was out in his pen; but had a stub and a peg leg on one hind quarter.    A passerby asked after the pig's missing leg, and the farmer replied something about not eating such a 'special pig' all at once.    Heeeee-HEE!    It's funnier when stretched out properly; sorry.

Who makes this brand?   Where is the brand made?

Edited by Richnimrod
  • I like it 1

On 11/29/2016 at 0:23 PM, Richnimrod said:

Never heard of it; but the brand name reminds me of a really OLD joke about a very special pig that had saved his owners when their home and barn caught fire.   To make the story much shorter, basically the pig had been receiving adulation from the entire County from anyone who happened past the rebuilt farm house where the pig held a place of honor in a private pen on the front lawn.    One day the pig was out in his pen; but had a stub and a peg leg on one hind quarter.    A passerby asked after the pig's missing leg, and the farmer replied something about not eating such a 'special pig' all at once.    Heeeee-HEE!    It's funnier when stretched out properly; sorry.

Haha that's awesome. Found out a little more about it. The guy who makes it is a world renowned pit master from Nashville and I believe it's been said he lost a leg to cancer, ergo the name. Evidently it's filtered through his own coals (that he makes himself for BBQ) so it's more of a Tennessee Whiskey. I'm hoping to sample soon. I've seen it priced between $39.99 and $49.99.

IMG_3530.PNG

On 11/29/2016 at 0:23 PM, Richnimrod said:

On 11/29/2016 at 3:08 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

A prior post about this from a couple of years ago didn't have much info but suggested it was sourced from Dickel. It also referenced the same joke!

Thanks for the link. I searched and nothing came back. That's interesting that it's been out so long and it's just now making its way east. 

On 12/2/2016 at 1:45 PM, Guinny_Ire said:

Where'd you see it?

All over Knoxville.

Too far east unfortunately. Buddy's boy is at Belmont and I was hoping you'd say nashville which maybe it is if you're seeing it.

Buddy of mine told me it wasn't on the shelf in nashville, now he's saying differently (it' from Nashville). 'nevermind.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2016 at 1:50 PM, Guinny_Ire said:

Buddy of mine told me it wasn't on the shelf in nashville, now he's saying differently (it' from Nashville). 'nevermind.

I'm sure it's in Nashville, as the Peg Leg Porker BBQ restaurant is there (or at least in the metro Nashville area). Send him on a hunt for you. It's definitely unique, stands up well with food. Easily worth the $39.99 I see it for.

On 12/8/2016 at 9:41 PM, scratchline said:

8 year old version at Astor Wines in NYC.

34954_hr.jpg

That's awesome that they're putting an age statement on it. Just from reading more about the guy who started it, he does everything the right way, so having a proper age statement only fits into his character.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any tasting reviews/thoughts of the new 12 year age statement release of Peg Leg Porker?  I've walked by it a few times in the store and have hesitated on pulling the trigger due to lack of tasting notes and the high price tag (~$85.00). 

On 5/6/2017 at 0:54 PM, pbuchana05 said:

Does anyone have any tasting reviews/thoughts of the new 12 year age statement release of Peg Leg Porker?  I've walked by it a few times in the store and have hesitated on pulling the trigger due to lack of tasting notes and the high price tag (~$85.00). 

Make sure your peg leg porker is at least 18 years old :lol:

• 7 months later...
On 5/6/2017 at 1:54 PM, pbuchana05 said:

I’m in the same boat as you. I passed on a few, because of the price difference. I didn’t see or hear any reviews on it unfortunately.

• 2 months later...

If you see  the 12 again let me know.. i havent been able to find any in Nashville. Buddy of mine knows “pegleg” and contacted hin the other day. Batch 2 of the 12 year is coming out this year. Not sure what season but i’ll be searching for it. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.