Starting a distillery

gohrmund
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was approached by a friend that owns a liquor store and other businesses. He is considering starting a small distillery with his partners. He asked me for some info on how to do it, but I know my limitations.

I am wondering if there are people/persons on here that might be able to point him in the right direction. It is in the early planning stages so any help on equipment, design.

Who would you recommend he contact to see if this will work?

Gary

Do any of them know how to distill and understand the chemistry and engineering behind it all? If not, they need to find that person first.

First line up at least several million dollars worth of backing, then .....use it more wisely than starting a distillery.    Just MHO.

May also have some tied house laws that would prevent from owning both a liquor retailer and a liquor manufacturer. 

Thanks for the input guys. I agree that having someone with distilling experience is a must to even consider moving forward. Good point on the potential issue of a liquor store and distillery conflict. I will pass along the info guys.

Gary

This is an easy pass. The idea sounds great, but that's about it. Tell them to use their money towards something they truly understand. Nobody wants to get into farming right now, but when prices get really high everybody & their momma wants to get in. I'm a 4th generation farmer & the infrastructure is there for me. My dad, brother, & I continually invest every year. It's almost impossible to get into nowadays unless one just has too much money. Think about it. Relationships, Land, Equipment, Storage, Time, & about 100 other things. It's a huge investment & it's sometimes tough for even the most seasoned veterans. 

The American Distilling Institute forums are the place to start

http://adiforums.com/

But even they will tell you its extremely difficult now for new distilleries as there is such an over saturation of them.  People can only buy so many vodkas, gins and white dog, not to mention overpriced young bourbon

How's this - Go to the companies that have been distilling quality whiskey for a long time.  See about single barrel selections for the liquor store.

1 hour ago, starhopper said:

I would recommmd your friend go to this website....

http://thebourbontruth.tumblr.com/

and read the "Dangers of Opening a New Distillery" article before he does anything else!

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend that blog for anything bourbon related.  It continues to exist as little more than a tiring caricature of all the petty griping from the self-important corners in the bourbon world.  

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend that blog for anything bourbon related.  It continues to exist as little more than a tiring caricature of all the petty griping from the self-important corners in the bourbon world.  

Joe - to each his own I suppose.  I just find it refreshingly "in your face" and brutally honest. 

Edited by starhopper

3 hours ago, starhopper said:

Joe - to each his own I suppose.  I just find it refreshingly "in your face" and brutally honest. 

Indeed, to each his own.  But for me, the in your face style and boasts of honesty shtick of the blog seem like a forced attempt for attention and a diversion away from the blogs lack of any meaningful content.  But again like you said, to each his own.

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Indeed, to each his own.  But for me, the in your face style and boasts of honesty shtick of the blog seem like a forced attempt for attention and a diversion away from the blogs lack of any meaningful content.  But again like you said, to each his own.

I often find the content well thought out, insightful, and entertaining - at least to me.  Others will have to decide for themselves - but they certainly should read it for themselves before rendering a judgment one way or the other.

On another topic - aren't you close to the Williamson Bros Bar B Que place?

Cheers!:D

Edited by starhopper

On 11/29/2016 at 8:09 PM, gohrmund said:

It is in the early planning stages so any help on equipment, design.

I've gone to a couple local/small distilleries in the last couple months and have asked them how they started. Almost all of them got their first stills of eBay. The second most common tip was "become friends with a cooper." 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.