Smoked Sweet Potato and Pecan Pie with Bourbon, Maple and Bacon

MelissaM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I made this pie for Thanksgiving this year and it was a huge hit. Today is my first day here so I thought I would share.

Pecans: I candy them, sadly, I don’t measure. Essentially I chop up some pecans in a chopper unit or with a hammer or even a baseball bat and set them off to the side. Next in a saucepan I melt butter, a shot or two of bourbon and some brown sugar to taste and make a syrupy goo that I dump all over the pecans. Next I toast these bad boys in an oven at 350, on a sheet pan until light browned.

Generally I salt these heavily and did this batch. I would ease off on the salt a little next time.

Pie:

What You Will Need

Sweet Potatoes - 2.5 C mashed

Wood Chips - I like Pecan

Bourbon - 2-3 Shots

Eggs 3

3/4 C Maple (meh maybe a little less)

1C Leche minus 4TB (because of maple and Bourbon) 

Bacon Fat 2TB

Butter ?

Salt A Pinch, A Dash, however you feel comfortable measuring

Your usual seasoning : a sprinkle of ginger, a pinch of nutmeg, a wink of cinnamon

Let’s Do This

I started by smoking 2# of sweet potatoes for two hours. I finished them in the oven with some bacon fat, butter and 1/2 to a shot of bourbon added to help moisten/mash. I mash throughout the cooking process.

Once a mashed consistency I pull from oven and allow to cool. 

Once cooled toss in a mixing bowl, add milk, 1-2 shots of bourbon and maple and whisk it all until smooth. In a separate bowl whisk the 3 eggs and add to final mix. Toss in a pie shell and bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until firm in the center. Top with pecans. 

15230668_10154612047591271_5624064903842237199_n.jpg

I make this every year. I swap maple for sugar and then bourbon for vanilla, etc. This was the first year I decided to smoke the potatoes. It was definitely a big hit. All of those flavors just work well together.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.