Booker's MSRP and allocation?

BottledInBond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A fairly prominent liquor store in my area just sent out an email that referenced OGD114 going away, the KC age statement going away, and also mentioned Booker's becoming allocated. Further, it states that the MSRP on Booker's is going up to...... Wait for it...... A cool $100. 

Has as anyone heard anything about a big price hike for Booker's? I guess I wouldn't be that shocked after the Booker's Rye, KC2001, and the OGD/KC changes. But the idea of Booker's becoming a $100 bottle makes me a little sad. It has always been around, ussually for $50ish, and always good for when you're in the mood for a barrel proof pour that won't take you a year or more to track down like a GTS or whatever. Times they are a changing

Haven't heard about allocation but I've noticed stores charging more since they went to named batches vs numbered. Never understood that one as nothing else changed. It used to be around $50-55 and now some stores are charging $65-70 for the named batches and displaying them by name. Anything for a buck, I suppose. :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

A fairly prominent liquor store in my area just sent out an email that referenced OGD114 going away, the KC age statement going away, and also mentioned Booker's becoming allocated. Further, it states that the MSRP on Booker's is going up to...... Wait for it...... A cool $100. 

Has as anyone heard anything about a big price hike for Booker's? I guess I wouldn't be that shocked after the Booker's Rye, KC2001, and the OGD/KC changes. But the idea of Booker's becoming a $100 bottle makes me a little sad. It has always been around, ussually for $50ish, and always good for when you're in the mood for a barrel proof pour that won't take you a year or more to track down like a GTS or whatever. Times they are a changing

I actually got a similar email from a store around here about the Bookers MSRP going up to $100 next year.  I thought he was just trying to scare us into moving his inventory for him but if you got the same thing (and mine wasn't from a chain, it was an indie store), maybe there's some fire to this smoke.

Edit to add: I guess I know what I'm buying this weekend...

Edited by dcbt

Looks like I am going to need to get a second job. What are the preferred batch #'s these days? Haven't purchased Booker's in awhile. 

This would be outrageous. There's tons of it in every well stocked liquor store. I like it and think it's fairly priced given its specs and its availability (that is, because there's tons of it I can buy it whenever I like).

There's no shortage for this — I don't believe for one second that a six year old bourbon goes from ubiquitous to allocated overnight. Good grief. If this rumor is true, this is clearly just testing what they can get away with charging.

I can buy a very good 15 year old scotch (Glengoyne 15) for $70 — not a chance in hell I'd pay an extra $30 for a six year old bourbon.

In Los Angeles this is available at Costco so clearly not allocated (yet)...can't see a 100% price jump making sense unless they create a secondary product with a higher MSRP like they did with the rye...

3 minutes ago, Saul_cooperstein said:

In Los Angeles this is available at Costco so clearly not allocated (yet)...can't see a 100% price jump making sense unless they create a secondary product with a higher MSRP like they did with the rye...

That's a good point: if they have some (maybe annual?) limited edition, I could see $100 for that. But not for the standard bottling.

20 minutes ago, Spade said:

That's a good point: if they have some (maybe annual?) limited edition, I could see $100 for that. But not for the standard bottling.

Booker's 25th was $100 MSRP. Clearly Beam has been "innovating" more since then with $125 or whatever KC2001 and $300 Booker's Rye. Plus they started naming all the batches of Booker's now for whatever reason.

im not saying this is accurate for sure, but I'm not referring to a personal email sent to me 1:1 from a store owner. This was a broad blast email to hundreds if not thousands of people, so I doubt they would be so bold to be that public with if if there wasn't something to it. Otherwise if it's wrong I would expect Beam to be all over them for it

The price increase has been posted as a rumor on the release calendar on BreakingBourbon, so they've obviously seen some mention of it too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar info in a recent FB post from a local buyer:

"If you haven't heard, stock up on Booker's . . . Feb 1st the cost goes up $40 per bottle in KS."

Not sure if he meant cost or MSRP?

Meanwhile, a small local chain had a special on it for $44.99 . . . ?  Nuts!

I can't really see this being on the up and up. Hell, the price of Booker's has been going down around here over the last year or so. :huh:

Cheers! Joe

I got that email.  It's the second time I've heard the story and I still don't believe it.  A price increase makes sense.  Doubling the price doesn't.  I'm betting on some jackwad in the distribution chain spreading BS.

I heard today from my local purveyor that he was told by his supplier that Booker's would become 'harder to get' soon.    He just received a batch (2 cases); but no indication of a price hike was mentioned.

I think the  age of these new ones was less than 7-years, though, for the life of me, I can't recall what the age statement read.

Edited by Richnimrod
Edit to add...

32 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I heard today from my local purveyor that he was told by his supplier that Booker's would become 'harder to get' soon.    He just received a batch (2 cases); but no indication of a price hike was mentioned.

I think the  age of these new ones was less than 7-years, though, for the life of me, I can't recall what the age statement read.

Is it the batch aged 6 years, 10 months, and 1 day? Not sure why that age stuck in my head.

Echoing others, I can't figure out why Beam would hike this price that much, which leads me to believe it's either untrue or exaggerated, though it's hard to know what sort of scheme they're cooking up and how they would justify such an increase.

I would say this is crazy since it already sits on shelves for $45 bucks here, but this strategy might work. I know of a local store owner that couldn't sell CRNHR for $24.99. The customers just assumed it was too cheap to be any good. He intentionally marked it up to $49.99 & it sold very quick. True Story.

I aint buying it, and if it does happen, I really aint buying it.....and I do regularly enjoy some Booker's.

It's regularly a $50 bottle here, and Costco just got a pallet of it in for $39.99. I usually only buy it when its under $45. Hell, the age keeps dropping, why should the prices double?

My gut says that we will start seeing a Basil Hayden's small batch aged__ yrs __ mos. labels rolling out with less Booker's.  Thankfully the Knob Creek '01 failed miserably. 

1 hour ago, Whiskey Dick said:

I aint buying it, and if it does happen, I really aint buying it.....and I do regularly enjoy some Booker's.

It's regularly a $50 bottle here, and Costco just got a pallet of it in for $39.99. I usually only buy it when its under $45. Hell, the age keeps dropping, why should the prices double?

Age is but a number.  I'm not a big Booker's drinker, but I listen to those who are.  The reviews of these recent batches have been very high.

I recently found myself in Costco purchasing some of that $39.99 Booker's!  I couldn't help but think to myself, "how can Beam keep flooding a national chain with pallet loads of this stuff (especially at that price)?!?!" 

So, to a shortage...Yes, if they keep that up, they will soon find it difficult to maintain a decent supply.  As to price, no way it's going up to $100.  Well, at least not in just six months or one years time.;) 

Speaking of... A buddy of mine selected a KCSB this Monday.  He ended up picking a 12 year old that dumped at 123 proof.  After a few drops of water (to get it to the 120 release point), he's coming out with around 33 gallons of splendid 'honey barrel' Knobgoodness! 

I'll take that, any day of the week! :D  

Edited by Paddy

I will buy an occasionally bottle at up to $60. Bottles stacked deep around here at those prices so there isn't any huge demand for this juice.

At $100 a bottle I won't even look at them. 

Would be a big mistake if this is actually true. 

I've heard the same thing about it going up to $100 here in Ohio.  I don't see myself buying it at that price when I can get KC single barrel at half the price. 

That sucks. It was always on my best value lists. Great bourbon that never got as much respect as it deserves in my opinion because it is so available. And it gets a lot of respect. 

This shows incredible contempt for consumers. There's just no way a six year old bourbon goes from being on every shelf to being allocated. It's insulting. You can't fake scarcity this egregiously and figure people won't notice. I'd hope these are just going to sit on the shelf at $100.

My first instinct was to pick up three or four and stash them away. Instead I think I'll spend the equivalent amount of money on stuff from other distilleries...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.