Another JD bottling, maybe it's new?

Postal Grunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I ran across a new, new to me at least, bottle from Jack Daniels. It's bottled at 86 proof and priced around $22 across the river in Platte City, a North KC suburb.  I haven't bought any kind of JD in over 30 years so it still sits on the shelf. Anyone here familiar with this?

Is this the 150 anniversary regular bottle.  If so, its just regular JD at 86 proof.  Not bad for the $22 it is around here.  Better than regular JD

I agree with VAG.  The 86 proof 150th does taste better to me than the regular black label (currently 80 proof) for some reason. Can 6 proof points make THAT much of a difference?  I guess so.  I kind of wish they'd put it back to 90 which is what it was when I drank it regularly.

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I agree with VAG.  The 86 proof 150th does taste better to me than the regular black label (currently 80 proof) for some reason. Can 6 proof points make THAT much of a difference?  I guess so.  I kind of wish they'd put it back to 90 which is what it was when I drank it regularly.

For me too, JD gets progressively better as the proof increases, and reaches a crescendo with their Barrel Proof offering.  Silver Select at 100 proof is terrific also.  I'm thinking these higher providers may have some more age on them, as well?

I hadn't see the 86 proof 150th, but my dad opened a 100 proof 150th bottle at Thanksgiving, which was damn tasty (although more than $22 - can't recall what it ran).  It didn't mention the age, but I would guess it had a couple more years on it (and comprised of honey barrels in those prime spots).  

For me too, JD gets progressively better as the proof increases, and reaches a crescendo with their Barrel Proof offering.  Silver Select at 100 proof is terrific also.  I'm thinking these higher providers may have some more age on them, as well?

What Joe said. I'm am refreshingly surprised by this phenomenon but I see it consistently. I'm very happy with these offerings from JD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

My second JD BP is about half full.  I moved it further back on the shelf - found myself reaching for it and drinking it neat like I did the first bottle.  I decided to slow down a bit and give some other things a chance.  And, at a price above $75 per 750 around here, it'll give Booker's a run for my money after the first of the year.B)  And if FR BP PS/SPs hold their current prices around here, I'll have two BP brands cheaper than Booker's to pick from. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/17/2016 at 4:50 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Isn't that the truth.  I have noted the decline of Ol No. 7 for decades, the single barrel (94 proof) is one superior dram though.  The decline in proof is the reason that I switched to GD12 as go to Tennessee Whiskey, less expensive than Ol No. 7 too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.