High West Rye

hawkeye62
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

High West has a white rye called OMG rye. I think the mash bill is 80% rye, 20% rye malt. I heard that they were aging some, but I haven't heard anything about it lately. Does anyone have any info?

Regards, Jim 

20 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

High West has a white rye called OMG rye. I think the mash bill is 80% rye, 20% rye malt. I heard that they were aging some, but I haven't heard anything about it lately. Does anyone have any info?

Regards, Jim 

I have asked David about this on more than a few occasions.  I even got to try a bit of it once on a distillery tour with David (along with several interesting barley whiskey styles they had been making). That said I am not entirely sure HW is still making the OMG "silver" rye. They do still make a silver wheat whiskey I believe.

But I presume their own rye is still supposed to be coming out at some point. Just not sure what that point will be! Would not surprise me if it ended up being a distillery or local offering only. And with the recent change in ownership I have no idea what impact that might have.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a bottle a year or two ago when one was on the markdown rack. I dont see them anymore around here.

It was an intersting pour. If you've ever made good homemade bread, it was like drinking the raw dough. yeasty, raw....not bad at all, but very different than an aged spirit.

I have a bottle open now, about four pours gone. I have had a few bottles in the last few years. As you said, an interesting pour. High West web site lists the OMG as "sold out". I was at the HW distillery in Park City about four years and asked if they were going to be releasing an aged version of the OMG. I was told it would be released in "about three years" and would be called Valley Tan. Well, they do have a Valley Tan, but it is not an aged OMG. They call it a "lite whiskey". It comes off of the still at a high ABV and is more of a vodka aged in charred oak barrels just long enough for it to turn light brown in color. Maybe I will go to Park City and make another inquiry. They do not answer Emails.

Regards, Jim       

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.