What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having a very easy drinking BTSB from a local store. 

IMG_1141.JPG

How do u like the yeti.....I love mine cor bourbon. Store it in the freezer and it chills things perfectly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Golferpimp1 said:

How do u like the yeti.....I love mine cor bourbon. Store it in the freezer and it chills things perfectly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I find my self picking it up first before my other glasses. I haven't put it in the freezer yet, might have to try that.

Returning to OF1920. My positive first impressions of this remain: lots of red berries complemented by some aspartame sweetness, and a nice dry oaky finish. If I tasted this blind I'd probably think it was a really good barrel of ER10.

It was a dusty evening at the bar across the street from my office. Started with Ancient Age 10yr Barrel 107 and it was the star of the show. Total caramel flavor bomb tonight. Followed with Old Charter 7yr BIB. I had to chuckle at the old paper price tag still on the bottle: $3.54.  

7 hours ago, flahute said:

It was a dusty evening...Followed with Old Charter 7yr BIB. I had to chuckle at the old paper price tag still on the bottle: $3.54.  

Ah, one of the great sleeper bourbons ever, Steve.  I've loved every bottle I've had.  Though the slope shouldered OCPR remains my favorite from their line, there have been times I thought the 7 yr BIB may have been better.  

On 1/19/2017 at 6:30 PM, smokinjoe said:

Damn great whiskey there, Country.  In my Top 5 all-time.  I feel your pain in letting that one pass on.  If I hear something wailing later, I'll just tell myself it's the local pack of coyotes.  :D

I was so excited to find this - probably pulled fewer than a dozen dusties off shelves, and when I first opened this one, I liked it - but didn't love it.  But the more I revisited it, the more I liked it.  Think my last pour was perhaps my favorite.  For 13 yrs old, I don't get any oak bite, but it has that lovely silkiness and depth you get with age.  It was a lovely bourbon to the last drop!

IMG_20170120_185011.jpg

14 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

wondered about this one, and afraid to bite the bullet at $30 for a presumably 4 year old 100 proof BIB. I'll stick with my HH 6 year BIB for $11, I know I like that one.

speaking of things not being as you thought........I'd held out on getting the CR Northern Harvest Rye, wanting to try it but not wanting to splurge on a bottle at the $25ish I'd seen it at. Finding it on a shelf for $16, I took a chance. How the f#*@ did this win whiskey of the year last year?

This remains a good question for me as well. I feel like was just trying to be different or something. I don't think it is terrible whiskey, but to me it is bland and certainly not excellent whiskey. Makes me question all of his picks a bit more. I'm sure he also feels a need to not pick something from BTAC every year.

FWIW I love me some Booker's Rye, as overpriced as it may be......

I opened a bottle of EWSB 2005 last night.  Even after letting it sit quite awhile, it tasted thin, hot, and alcoholic.  Will let this one sit a bit.  If it doesn't improve, I'll just dump it into the decanter for mixed drinks and cooking.

Moved on and had a glass of Bourye.  This is a nice balanced whiskey, but I'm not sure I would purchase again for the price.

ECBP 135.6.  After a pretty shitty week at work, a nice early start to the weekend.  Neat - full flavors with barrel notes and a savory element that I just love in some barrel proofers.  With a few drops of water, the heat fades into the background and brings out more vanilla.  Love this stuff.

16 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Having a very easy drinking BTSB from a local store. 

IMG_1141.JPG

Just finished one of those bottles! Very Good Stuff.

49 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

Just finished one of those bottles! Very Good Stuff.

Is it the 40 or 45 abv ? 

7 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

The 45.

Amazing what that extra 5 does. The 90 proof is so much better than the 80. 

I actually did a 50:50 vatting of this BTSB & EHTBP.

The BTSB (90) is very easy with some nice oak flavor to it.

The EHTBP (127.2) is strong with a nice sweet flavor to it.

I did equal parts of each & said voila. It came out to 108.6 Proof & the complexity is great! They are the same mashbill, so it's basically a nice little small batch.

25 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

The 45.

17 minutes ago, beasled said:

It's what I've heard too. Another one to try, it doesn't end, lol. 

22 minutes ago, beasled said:

3 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

This was a really good Single Barrel though. I have 3 different BT SB's in the bunker. Two variations being very good & 1 variation being solid. I have never tried the 80 Proof. Hopefully you can a hold of a 90 Proof Will.

Cheers,

Jeff

18 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

This was a really good Single Barrel though. I have 3 different BT SB's in the bunker. Two variations being very good & 1 variation being solid. I have never tried the 80 Proof. Hopefully you can a hold of a 90 Proof Will.

Cheers,

Jeff

I sure can ;-). This one is my list, the only liquor store not far from my town sells it for €33. 

Cheers,

Will.

55 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Used to get them here. Got a few bunkered ;)

Of course you have a few bunkered;). I still can find it, an old stock at my only liquor store. They have some Hancock Reserve and some WT 8 yo, they used to have some ETL and some Weller12, but this time is over. I'm gonna ask them if they can order the ETL, worth a shot.

7 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Of course you have a few bunkered;). I still can find it, an old stock at my only liquor store. They have some Hancock Reserve and some WT 8 yo, they used to have some ETL and some Weller12, but this time is over. I'm gonna ask them if they can order the ETL, worth a shot.

They can try! The UK importer was told no ETL was being exported last year which means nothing this year either. 

40 minutes ago, beasled said:

They can try! The UK importer was told no ETL was being exported last year which means nothing this year either. 

Too bad, i'm gonna hit the bottom of my only bottle (the one i offered to my father in law), i would be nice to replace it. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.