What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

First day of the season and I went with WT101 and the penultimate pour of a bottle of Stagg Jr. batch 4. I suppose it was technically the last day of fall. Anyway, I haven't been thrilled with this handle of WT101 but after not having it for a while it tasted much better than I remembered. Maybe airtime, maybe absence making the palate grow fonder. No need to overcomplicate it. It was good, if just a bit thin. The Jr. was great. A little sizzle on the tongue neat but a few drops of water and it was dialed in. I really hope BT can keep this in the shelves in the $50-60 price range. 

getting a quick jump on the winter thread!

last night had some Maker's 46 and Woodford at a holiday party.  Figured I'd try these again since I haven't had them in a while, not bad pours by any means.

1 hour ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

getting a quick jump on the winter thread!

last night had some Maker's 46 and Woodford at a holiday party.  Figured I'd try these again since I haven't had them in a while, not bad pours by any means.

Both are quite enjoyable and readily available in that price range.  Nothing spectacular, but both are good mid-price pours. Throw ER10 or ETL (and until recently, OGD114) in there and I think a man could live quite comfortably in the $30's...  Before everybody jumps me about OGD114 being a $30 pour, OGD114 state minimum in Michigan is $32.99 so all you guys getting it for $12 and $17 just keep it to yourself! :P

Midnight last night I was rounding out a side-by-side of OWA, EC12YR, HMcK10, and ETL.  Sip to sip that one jumped around (with the EC12YR in the early lead) but the ETL pulled it out on the backstretch.  I think the HMcK and OWA actually have a similar cinnamon note, and I'd be hard pressed to say which of those I like best.  Right now just a shade favoring the OWA.

Finished up with some Crown Royal Hand Select Barrel Proof, which I have grown tremendously fond of...  I'm not sure if it's just CANADA banging around in my mind, but it's sort of a pancakes in heaven kinda flavor...

I had a couple generous pours of a Blanton's store pick last night. Absolute Bourbon bliss with this pick. Soft and refined, well balanced for sure. Something about Christmas time and Blanton's...

14 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Still working on a FR SmB LE 2016. 

I tried it on its own and found with a drop or two of water it opened up nicely.

Enjoy!

Mixing it up again. Back to a vatting of ORVW 10 and OWA^_^

Cheers! Joe

Good thing you're getting an early

14 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

IMG_0383_zpsnp0jiqyk.jpg

Wowza, you have a ways to go! Good thing you're getting an early start :D

Edited by RWBadley
I can

2 minutes ago, RWBadley said:

Good thing you're getting an early

Wowza, you have a ways to go! Good thing you're getting an early start :D

I had a feeling someone was going to mention this.:) There is only one pour left. I do have another in the bunker.

Edited by MTNBourbon

I'm finishing the last of my Makers 46 CS while watching the last season of The Fall on Netflix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had very small pours of OGD114 and OBSQ, then had the Mrs. pour something from the bar for me blind. It was high proof and oaky but I couldn't put my finger on it. I said I didn't like it and it turned out to be Virgin 101. 

10 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Both are quite enjoyable and readily available in that price range.  Nothing spectacular, but both are good mid-price pours. Throw ER10 or ETL (and until recently, OGD114) in there and I think a man could live quite comfortably in the $30's...  Before everybody jumps me about OGD114 being a $30 pour, OGD114 state minimum in Michigan is $32.99 so all you guys getting it for $12 and $17 just keep it to yourself! :P

It's worth $30 IMHO and unfortunately won't be available at any price very soon.

Started off the good old birthday with a BT Select and Two James J Riddle old fashioned. Followed by HWMWD act 4.4, and a nice pour of Traverse City Whiskey Port. Not bad for getting old.

Drinking from a freshly cracked EC NAS in the new bottle design. Bought it to see how it's stacking up to the old EC12. I haven't done the sbs yet but wanted to give the NAS a spin to see what I thought of it in isolation. I fully expected to not be impressed but I have to say that it's hitting the spot impressively with a richness of flavor and a full mouthfeel.

8 hours ago, JNeff33 said:

Started off the good old birthday with a BT Select and Two James J Riddle old fashioned. Followed by HWMWD act 4.4, and a nice pour of Traverse City Whiskey Port. Not bad for getting old.

Well Happy Birthday!  

For me I'm still working on open bottles so I made a dent in a Yellowstone 93 proof - it's not bad bourbon in fact it's pretty good but it's just not worth the shelf space vs. others for less $

Needed a mixer last night to add to my coke and used Early Times 354 Bourbon. Forgot I even had that one. It actually made a good drink!

19 hours ago, beasled said:

I tried it on its own and found with a drop or two of water it opened up nicely.

Enjoy!

Not a bad idea, I'm gonna try this tonight.

Thanks. 

Stuck at home sick, so I am trying to relax to get better in time for Christmas (first year me and my fiancé are hosting Christmas eve). So I'm sitting back with a very small pour of Ezra Brooks 90 proof while finally finishing the last season of Justified.

Loved that show!  I was jealous every time they sat down and had a pour of Pappy. 

I'm on holiday vacation for the rest of the year, so starting the season off right.  I'm not a daily drinker, nor a morning or mid-day whiskey drinker (I do like a beer with lunch though)... but for my mid-day coffee, I think I'll add some Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream to it.  Mmm-mmm.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.