What Bottle Did You Open Today? Winter 2016/2017

RocAFella1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

image.jpeg
It's been a while since I've had this but I'm glad it's still relatively available. 

"Relatively available" makes me want to take a road trip to your locale. Haven't seen a bottle anywhere near me in 5 years or so. Enjoy. That's one fine pour in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opened a Rebel Yell 10 year single barrel (is the new acronym RY10SB?), to compare to ORVW.  So far, I think ORVW wins by a little bit, bringing a bit more oak, savoriness, and balance.  But we shall see.  It's definitely a good wheater, we shall see how a bit of air time changes things.  So far, there is no heat, and a rich mouthfeel.

IMG_8363.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Opened up my 1st Booker's Toogie.  Just two pours in, so we will see how it goes. However, this batch is different than the other Booker's  I have enjoyed. Good different. 

IMG_0794.JPG

This past Friday I opened  MMCS 111.3,.  The first impression was well at least I only have 375 mL.  No favorable way too much alcohol too little taste.  The following morning a different story not great but not bad either.  This morning same impression as yesterday morning.  I'll give it some time and perhaps it will develop into  nice pour.

On 1/8/2017 at 5:01 PM, Special Reserve said:

This past Friday I opened  MMCS 111.3,.  The first impression was well at least I only have 375 mL.  No favorable way too much alcohol too little taste.  The following morning a different story not great but not bad either.  This morning same impression as yesterday morning.  I'll give it some time and perhaps it will develop into  nice pour.

You put it well SR, "way too much alcohol too little taste".  I had the same experience with my first bottle of MMCS.  I really wanted to like it.  I used most of the bottle for cocktails for my wife.  I will most likely try it again at some point because it is usually on sale around me and like I said, I really want to like it.  It's a cask strength wheated bourbon.  Maybe it's the age that is lacking...

Just opened a bottle of Henry McKenna BIB 10 year barreled in 2001, and am really enjoying it compared to the more recent 2004 bottles I've had.  Sweeter, more aromatic, deeper on the nose.  Closer to POH, which I always hope I can find in the Henry McKenna.  Should be a fun bottle to enjoy over the next few weeks!

On December 23, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Jazz Nut said:

Opened a Rebel Yell 10 year single barrel (is the new acronym RY10SB?), to compare to ORVW.  So far, I think ORVW wins by a little bit, bringing a bit more oak, savoriness, and balance.  But we shall see.  It's definitely a good wheater, we shall see how a bit of air time changes things.  So far, there is no heat, and a rich mouthfeel.

IMG_8363.jpg

The sad thing is that Rebell Yell is selling for big money on the secondary market.

52 minutes ago, Jazz Nut said:

Just opened a bottle of Henry McKenna BIB 10 year barreled in 2001, and am really enjoying it compared to the more recent 2004 bottles I've had.  Sweeter, more aromatic, deeper on the nose.  Closer to POH, which I always hope I can find in the Henry McKenna.  Should be a fun bottle to enjoy over the next few weeks!

I came across a LS selling McKenna for $21 a bottle...needless to say I loaded up.

11 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

I came across a LS selling McKenna for $21 a bottle...needless to say I loaded up.

Great price!!!

1 hour ago, Bbstout said:

The sad thing is that Rebell Yell is selling for big money on the secondary market.

You can always count on a certain segment of bourbon nerds to be really stupid.

I opened my first bottle of the Evan Williams 12 year from the Heaven Hill gift shop today. I don't know what I expected but it was better than that. Very rich, smooth. It is expensive ($130 I think) but this was a gift, and even if I had paid for it, I think I'd be OK with the purchase 

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

I opened my first bottle of the Evan Williams 12 year from the Heaven Hill gift shop today. I don't know what I expected but it was better than that. Very rich, smooth. It is expensive ($130 I think) but this was a gift, and even if I had paid for it, I think I'd be OK with the purchase 

How does it compare to EC12?

1 hour ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

You didn't ask me, but I find it to be very different. 

1 hour ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I think this is easy to identify as being a Heaven Hill product so it clearly has a somewhat similar profile. But although this and the old age stated EC are both list at 12 years I don't get as much oak from this, and from my one pour I think this is a little sweeter. The best comparison I could make for this would be to the PHC Promise of Hope, but it's not exactly that either. Like I said only one small pour so far so I need a few more to dial in my analysis. 

On January 13, 2017 at 6:28 PM, BottledInBond said:

BIB generously shared this bottle with me and I agree with his comments. Would be nice if they distributed this one.

Not open just quite yet, but on deck.......

FWIW, the Old Fitz BIB is a DSP KY 16/24. :P

Cheers! Joe

next.jpeg

40 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Not open just quite yet, but on deck.......

FWIW, the Old Fitz BIB is a DSP KY 16/24. :P

Cheers! Joe

next.jpeg

That looks like my kind of line up. I love bonded Old Fitz!  The bonded trilogy of Heaven Hill products is right in my wheelhouse roo!

On 1/15/2017 at 5:53 PM, LCWoody said:

Opened up two EC's tonight 

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

My EC 18 stated barrel dated of nov 97. Where yours stated bottle date.  Interesting. 

9 hours ago, BB12 said:

My EC 18 stated barrel dated of nov 97. Where yours stated bottle date.  Interesting. 

I think the new EC 18 is using a bottled on date. Maybe to separate it from the old batch.....

OF1920.  Not a fan of OF but gave this one a try.  Getting lots of acetone on the nose and a bitter finish which is exactly why I don't like OF in general.  Oh well, I also scored a 2014 GTS and 2015 THH my local manager had been hiding in his office, which more than makes up for the OF.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.