Just bourbon and bitters?

aardvark
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I realize that technically a cocktail is supposed to have bitters and syrup, but I have never been a fan of sweet drinks, or cocktails in general.  I have always taken my bourbon neat.  My bartender daughter finally talked me into trying something more exotic and was pushing an old fashioned.   I decided to first try the bourbon with just a dash of bitters - no syrup - and it was pretty good.  So I was wondering if anyone else takes their bourbon this way, and does this have a name (other than bourbon and bitters, I suppose) in case I decided to order it at a bar. I have scoured the internet and searched this forum and the only thing that keeps coming up is old fashioned.  

I've never tried that, but it sounds like it would be pretty good. Maybe I'll try it later today while the ballgame is on.

Tim

2 hours ago, ratcheer said:

I've never tried that, but it sounds like it would be pretty good. Maybe I'll try it later today while the ballgame is on.

Tim

Let us know what you think.

I do this often as well.  Here in Montreal our Bourbon selection is limited by the government-run outlets, but we have access to a wide variety of aromatic bitters!

To me adding a couple of dashes of bitters to my bottom shelf bourbons can be a fun modifier.  Orange, vanilla, etc - they usually work since most of these boutique bitters circle around flavours that are part of the bourbon taste rainbow.

... I don't like too much sweet with my bourbon cocktails, so when I do mix myself an old fashioned, I barely coat the bottom of a rock's glass with simple sirop.

Eric

• 7 months later...

I've been adding a couple of dashes of Cardamon Bitters ( Fee Bros ordered thru amazon)

Doesn't sweeten the bourbon - it does impart a faint sassafras aroma.  I've also tried it with rye which seems (to me) to soften the bite, yet intensify the flavor.

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, WoodrowinManassas said:

I've been adding a couple of dashes of Cardamon Bitters ( Fee Bros ordered thru amazon)

Doesn't sweeten the bourbon - it does impart a faint sassafras aroma.  I've also tried it with rye which seems (to me) to soften the bite, yet intensify the flavor.

Welcome to SB.  (Did you check out the "New to StraightBourbon" thread?  It's a good place to post stuff about you and your likes if you are so inclined and has some helpful hints for getting around the site as well as for putting up with the rest of us;).)  If you have questions, do not hesitate to ask them.

I agree with you about cardamom bitters (and thanks for bumping up the thread).  Our Old Fashioneds sometimes have muddled fruit, sometimes don't, sometimes have fruit garnish, sometimes don't, sometimes use simple syrup or demerara or agave syrup, sometimes don't (but that's rare).  However, they always have varying drops of various bitters, sometimes more than one bitter flavor.  I haven't done a lot of experimenting with ryes and bitters, though, as my wife prefers rye only when it is in Manhattans.  So, thanks - I now have a way to use up some of the bottles of bitters I have accumulated even if I have to drink them all myself.B)

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

• 4 months later...

Been thinking I'd like to try an old fashion. Might be a good way to use some of the bourbons I'm not that crazy about. I picked up some Angustora bitters and some sugar cubes. I'll try  with and without the sugar this weekend and see if I like it.

13 hours ago, brock957 said:

Been thinking I'd like to try an old fashion. Might be a good way to use some of the bourbons I'm not that crazy about. I picked up some Angustora bitters and some sugar cubes. I'll try  with and without the sugar this weekend and see if I like it.

You are, of course, welcome to try anything you wish; but, for me making an Old Fashioned with Bourbon I don't like neat would be a non-starter.    Lots of other cocktails mask the shortcomings of an inferior whiskey better than an Old Fashioned.    I suppose, if you use enough bitters, and even some orange rind, maybe some extra sugar if the dram is excessively woody, it might be OK; but not where I'd start, in order to draw down some less-than-stellar bottle.

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

Being a Southern Comfort fan for umm, ahhh, a long friggin time, I have found that lemon juice cuts the sweet, right nicely. Even my variation of an Old Fashion, needs the lemon juice. I use honey instead of simple syrup or sugar. It's just too sweet without the lemon...

• 4 months later...

I often add bitters with no syrup to bourbon. My recent favorite is Dr. Boker's Bitters (a few drops). I have a collection of different bitters that I sample from time to time. Depending on the base flavoring, you will find that some bitters are better than others in specific bourbons. It's really a matter of personal preference and it can be fun to experiment.

• 5 months later...
On 12/30/2016 at 8:25 PM, aardvark said:

I realize that technically a cocktail is supposed to have bitters and syrup, but I have never been a fan of sweet drinks, or cocktails in general.  I have always taken my bourbon neat.  My bartender daughter finally talked me into trying something more exotic and was pushing an old fashioned.   I decided to first try the bourbon with just a dash of bitters - no syrup - and it was pretty good.  So I was wondering if anyone else takes their bourbon this way, and does this have a name (other than bourbon and bitters, I suppose) in case I decided to order it at a bar. I have scoured the internet and searched this forum and the only thing that keeps coming up is old fashioned.  

I inadvertently did this when making an Old Fashioned. I forgot the simple syrup. Turned out pretty good.

• 1 year later...

BUMP!  Bittermilk bitters from SoCarolina??  Wife's sister said I should try these.  She's not a drinker, BUT she tried a rye cocktail featuring one of their several mixes at a restaurant and was told by her husband she could NOT have a fourth.  Before I mailorder, I'd like some candid comments.  PM's are fine with me.

https://bittermilk.com/

TIA.  AND, I have no connection with Bittermilk or SoCar but do have a distant connection with my sis-in-law.

• I like it 1

I have seen the Bittermilk around town but have never tried them. These are more like a bottled cocktail mixer where you add the alcohol of your choice rather than a more traditional bitters like Angostura. That said the #1 sounds like an interesting way to make an old fashioned and probably what your SIL has.

• 1 year later...

I quite like having Baker's with a couple of dashes of Angostura over ice. Heaven in summer.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a bottle of Rebel 100 today. It is by far the youngest tasting bottle of this I've had. Since I want it to feel like spring after this snowy week, a few dashes of Philman's strawberry bitters are in order.

On deck, the same bourbon with Meyer lemon bitters.

• 2 months later...

I find that Old Fashioneds are generally too sweet for me (especially with sweet bourbon to begin with), and so I just tried a dash of Angostura bitters in a pour of Maker's Mark, which is already quite sweet. It's not bad at all, and basically tastes like an Old Fashioned (and I didn't use any ice -- it isn't hot enough these days, yet). It certainly doesn't need to get any sweeter. It could do with a citrus garnish, but I don't have any at hand right now. If you don't experiment, where's the fun in it? And in general, I'm pretty lazy about making cocktails, so just two ingredients suits me just fine. BTW, I'm new here, and I have a bunch of tasting notes for all kinds of whiskey (and whisky) that you can look at, if you are interested. I've only been taking notes for a year or so, and I've gotten better at it, so the later reviews are a bit better than the first ones. :)  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KYlbLjQyADQskTHFoOPbRmqPqRvne_ceqniX4oEpF9k/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by phrasewarden

17 hours ago, phrasewarden said:

I find that Old Fashioneds are generally too sweet for me (especially with sweet bourbon to begin with), and so I just tried a dash of Angostura bitters in a pour of Maker's Mark, which is already quite sweet. It's not bad at all, and basically tastes like an Old Fashioned (and I didn't use any ice -- it isn't hot enough these days, yet). It certainly doesn't need to get any sweeter. It could do with a citrus garnish, but I don't have any at hand right now. If you don't experiment, where's the fun in it? And in general, I'm pretty lazy about making cocktails, so just two ingredients suits me just fine. BTW, I'm new here, and I have a bunch of tasting notes for all kinds of whiskey (and whisky) that you can look at, if you are interested. I've only been taking notes for a year or so, and I've gotten better at it, so the later reviews are a bit better than the first ones. :)  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KYlbLjQyADQskTHFoOPbRmqPqRvne_ceqniX4oEpF9k/edit?usp=sharing

While I do like sweet, there is a trick that I've done since my youth. In your case you can kill 2 birds - lemon! You can even keep the bitters.

I like some bourbons with bitters and honey... and of course the lemon. Without it, it is waaay too sweet. Works well with ECBP.

P.S. Welcome to the board!

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Just made my first Old Fashioned.  Used gran. sugar because I didn't have anything else and went all out and bought those fancy $25 a jar cherries.  

I used Bulliet Rye and the "proper" bitters with both an orange and lemon peel.

Wow!  Why did I not do this sooner?

My new favorite drink.

• I like it 3

I became a "covid bartender" when everything went into lock down initially. 

I have tweaked my Old Fasioned Recipe for the last year. I have gotten to where I think its pretty darn good. 

3 ounces of either 94 proof Elijah Craig (or preferably Wild Turkey Rare Breed)

1/2 teaspoon of home made simple syrup (I use unfiltered cane sugar with a 1:1 ratio of sugar to water when I make it)

2-4 dashes of each of the bitters shown in the picture

slice of an orange peel. I rim the glass with the peel, then twist it and drop it in the glass

I large ice ball

2 luxardo cherries

I will very lightly drizzle a touch of the luxardo syrup on the ice ball. I don't think I use enough to add any flavor to it, but it looks cool. 

Bill20210221_135758.thumb.jpg.c70df7c78f329165e4b2d156f4b1805e.jpg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 12:00 PM, detroitdad said:

I have tweaked my Old Fasioned Recipe for the last year. I have gotten to where I think its pretty darn good. 

1/2 teaspoon of home made simple syrup (I use unfiltered cane sugar with a 1:1 ratio of sugar to water when I make it)

slice of an orange peel. I rim the glass with the peel, then twist it and drop it in the glass

I large ice ball

2 luxardo cherries

I will very lightly drizzle a touch of the luxardo syrup on the ice ball. I don't think I use enough to add any flavor to it, but it looks cool. 

Dude!

• 10 months later...
On 6/7/2021 at 2:00 PM, detroitdad said:

I large ice ball

2 luxardo cherries

This is awesome. My recipe is similar...however I do prefer rye in an Old Fashioned. I almost always use Rittenhouse but right now I'm using Old Overholt bonded. I'd crawl over broke glass for some Old Forester Rye....it isn't around my area anymore and I love it neat or in a cocktail. I've started buying and experimenting with various bitters. My favorite are Fee Brothers Black Walnut. Gives the drink a molasses like flavor. Peychauds isn't my favorite...something about it puts me off. For syrup I use the Jack Rudy Demerara syrup....I think its great. And I put in about a half of a bar spoon of the Luxardo cherry syrup....I agree with how you use the orange. Without orange it just doesn't seem right. Awesome post! 

• 2 weeks later...

Many bars I favor have gone to making an Old Fashioned with a split base of bourbon and rye. I think it works well!

Edited by tanstaafl2

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Many bars I favor have gone to making an Old Fashioned with a split base of bourbon and rye. I think it works well!

Which one of each do you think works best?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 3:15 PM, flahute said:

Which one of each do you think works best?

If I use one or the other I tend to prefer rye. With a split base I tend to go 50/50.

• 8 months later...

Well, tonight I tried Buffalo Trace with 2 dashes of Peychaud's. Not bad. But I think a bit of sweetness wouldn' hurt.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.