bourbon suggestions for old smoker new to bourbon

aardvark
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been smoking cigars for over 45 years, but just got turned on to the great bourbon drink a few months ago.   I smoke fuller bodied cigars, and have always had stout or porter with my cigars. I'm looking for suggestions from full-bodied cigar smokers  as to what bourbon might pair well.  My only experience was at the local cigar bar a few weeks ago, when a friend gave me some eagle rare 10 (not one that I really like) and I found that that bourbon took away from the cigar taste, and the cigar took away from the taste of the bourbon.   I've had better luck smoking with a good scotch, but hoping I can find a bourbon that pairs well with a strong cigar.  FWIW, my current favorite is Woodford Double Oaked, but I've not smoked with it yet.   It seems rich enough, though to hold up to a strong cigar.  TIA for any suggestions. 

I haven't been smoking cigars nearly as long as you, but for me, a lighter bourbon pairs well with most cigars. It seems like otherwise the cigar and bourbon tend to fight each other over who's going to win the flavor battle and you end up losing on both ends. Many times I'll just have a pour of plain old Four Rose's yellow label if I'm trying a particular cigar for the first time. The FRYL obviously isn't anything over the top, but IMHO it's a decent whiskey that allows the cigars flavors to come through.

You might also check out bourbonveach.com and search for the cigar and whiskey pairings they've put together.

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

I haven't been smoking cigars nearly as long as you, but for me, a lighter bourbon pairs well with most cigars. It seems like otherwise the cigar and bourbon tend to fight each other over who's going to win the flavor battle and you end up losing on both ends. 

Thats how it is for me, as well.  Bourbon and cigars can pitch a fit when together.  Personally, I drink more bourbon while smoking cigars...cuz I favor and drink more bourbon.  But generally, I find scotches to pair more favorably with cigars.  

Bourbon-wise, Beam whiskies work well with cigars for me.  Not that they're necessarily lighter, but the Beam profile (younger aged) provides a nice balance.  Specifically, The Beam BIB is a winner, as well as the new Double Oak.  

Eagle Rare is pretty easy drinking, so if that didn't pair well for you it could be rough sledding to find the balance (and enjoyment) you're looking for.

As a recreational cigar smoker (and professional drinker:rolleyes:), Joe's suggestion is on par with my experience, as the younger JB BIB and DO don't seem to do anything, in a drying or spice way, to overwhelm my smoke.   

Having said that, I'd try everything, 'cause it's for science! :lol:

9 hours ago, Vosgar said:

a lighter bourbon pairs well with most cigars

Counter intuitive, but makes sense.  

9 hours ago, Vosgar said:

You might also check out bourbonveach.com and search for the cigar and whiskey pairings they've put together.

Thanks. Great site, and they also recommend a lighter bourbon.  The FRYL seems to be a popular choice

6 hours ago, Paddy said:

it's for science!

Here's to science :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.