Smoking the glass

marshbound
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw something new to me two weekends ago on tour at the Copper Fox.  They offered a taste of their single malt in an apple wood smoked glass.  Get a wood chip smoldering with a propane torch, then put the glass over it for a minute or two to let the smoke swirl around inside and put a film on the inside of the glass.  Pour,  two drops of water, and drink.

As a fan of campfires and whiskey, this was in my wheelhouse.  I tried it later with more time (and whiskey) and the aroma lingers on quite pleasantly to me.  I wondered if this is a "thing" that has been going around, some fad or gimmick.  Not for everyone for sure, nor even frequently even for someone who likes it, but a once in a while thing perhaps.

I found one article that mentions the tactic with their nouveau cocktail inventions:  https://talesofthecocktail.com/destinations/pairing-cocktails-fireplace-wood-sommelier

Has anyone seen or tried this?  I used apple, I would think cherry or oak would work as well.   

17 hours ago, marshbound said:

I saw something new to me two weekends ago on tour at the Copper Fox.  They offered a taste of their single malt in an apple wood smoked glass.  Get a wood chip smoldering with a propane torch, then put the glass over it for a minute or two to let the smoke swirl around inside and put a film on the inside of the glass.  Pour,  two drops of water, and drink.

As a fan of campfires and whiskey, this was in my wheelhouse.  I tried it later with more time (and whiskey) and the aroma lingers on quite pleasantly to me.  I wondered if this is a "thing" that has been going around, some fad or gimmick.  Not for everyone for sure, nor even frequently even for someone who likes it, but a once in a while thing perhaps.

I found one article that mentions the tactic with their nouveau cocktail inventions:  https://talesofthecocktail.com/destinations/pairing-cocktails-fireplace-wood-sommelier

Has anyone seen or tried this?  I used apple, I would think cherry or oak would work as well.   

Getting pretty common in the more "fashionable" (i.e. hipster! B))  cocktail forward bars but it has been done for awhile now.

Here is a demo video from as far back as 2011. His technique is a bit exotic but I like this method of capturing smoke in a bottle better than just smoking the glass.

Edited by tanstaafl2

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Getting pretty common in the more "fashionable" (i.e. hipster! B))  cocktail forward bars but it has been done for awhile now.

Here is a demo video from as far back as 2011. His technique is a bit exotic but I like this method of capturing smoke in a bottle better than just smoking the glass.

Thanks.  Hipster I decidedly I am not, LOL.   However, if they are going to help create demand for bringing back quality classic cocktails I'm all in favor.  Not sure I'm going to get that smoker past the budget review process, might have to continue with the more theatrical blowtorch method.

Coincidentally Jamie (who did the video) was in Rob Roy in Seattle for that piece.  I've spent a couple of months in the city and that was one of the bars close to my office that I planted myself in.  Definitely a younger vibe in Seattle.

The first smoked cocktail I had was the Waylon at the now defunct Tailor in NYC.  I broke into a smile with the first sip.  Eben Freeman was/is a great barman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/fashion/16shake.html

I love his quote at the end of this article:

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/secrets-of-a-cocktail-master

Edited by scratchline

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.