BOTM 1/17: Rebel Yell 10 yr old Single Barrel

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tried this one again and am still disappointed that I'm getting nothing like what most of you are getting.  I got one of the "meh" barrels I guess.  I get NO sweetness whatsoever, even when adding some water.  Basically just a hot alcohol entry and a very oaky, almost bitter finish.  My wife got me this for Christmas and had to pay a premium to get it (with shipping, etc.) since it is not available in Missouri.

Missouri got a small amount of this. I got one in St. Louis county and I saw one yesterday at a small shop in St. Charles county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• fishnbowljoe changed the title to BOTM 1/17: Rebel Yell 10 yr old Single Barrel
On 1/3/2017 at 0:04 PM, Flyfish said:

When so many bourbons are being down-proofed and going NAS it is encouraging that a couple old-time respected labels like Yellowstone and Rebel Yell are being restored to or moved to upper shelf status. With this said, I still don't understand the marketing strategy behind putting  bottom shelf labels on upper shelf bourbons. 

When those "upper shelf" Bourbons are sold out, the uneducated will pick up the bottom shelf product. (And there are some gems there).

Random pondering.  Anyone that has had both, notice any similarities in RYsb10 and Michters 10? i seem to at times...

Random pondering.  Anyone that has had both, notice any similarities in RYsb10 and Michters 10? i seem to at times...

Still waiting for this to be released in VA (although it's probably going to be a lottery item).

• jbutler unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I was able to locate a bottle of this a few weeks ago. It has a nice sweetness, vanilla, a bit of white pepper, and a bunch of oak (which I like). My bottle is from barrel 4744352.

I did a SBS with RY10YrSB, OWA, and a 60:40 OWA/W12 blend. I like the extra heat and cinnamon spice I get from the OWA. The blend is tasting very good, some vanilla and sweetness along with red fruit and some oak. I found The RY10YrSB similar to the blend, without the fruit and more oak astringency on the finish.

I have not seen a bottle of W12 on the shelves in the past 2 years, so I'll keep my eye out for this one.

If RY10 ever shows it's face around here I guess I'm going to have to find a way to try it again but it will be a pour and not a bottle.  The bottle I have is NOTHING like all the descriptions I see posted.  It has almost NO sweetness whatsoever.  It is all heat and a very bitter oak finish. It has improved very slightly over time but not enough to risk another purchase.  My wife got me the bottle I have and paid a premium for it since she had to have it shipped in from out of state.

I have and am very familiar with other wheaters (OWA, W12, SB-Blend, Old Fitz, etc.) and this bottle of RY10 has nothing at all in common with any of them to my palate. 

I'm wondering if it is just one of those love/hate bottles. My friend had one and couldn't talk about it enough. He absolutely loved it. I went to his place specifically to try it and wondered what he might be smoking. I found it thin and just flavorless is n general. Not anything that screwed my face into a twist but just blah as could be. I really would love to try another bottle sometime

I had a pour from another bottle on Sunday, barrel 4744369 IIRC. It was not as good as the bottle I have at home. There was hardly any sweetness to it and the oak dominated the palate and finish. Seems the barrel variation is a "thing" as others have stated. Not shocking as it is a single barrel, I'm a bit more likely to pass if this is available again. Lots of other things still to try!

I'm assuming that all of you are talking about the 2016 version.  I can't find any of that around here and you can't have it shipped into KY (GRRRRRRRR!:angry:).  I've heard that the 2017 will be out in April but no one can tell me exactly when.  I hope to get a bottle or two since I am a big wheater fan.

Yes, I believe both the bottles I've tried are the 2016. They both have aged since 9/2005 on the bottle.

When I first opened my bottle from barrel#:  4744166 (aged since: 9-2005) I was not impressed.  It seemed bland and thin.  A month later was significantly more impressive.  Now, several months down the road, it continued to improve and it is my Saturday and Sunday morning sip.  It always makes for a great start of the day.

• I like it 1

On 3/22/2017 at 1:00 PM, Clueby said:

If RY10 ever shows it's face around here I guess I'm going to have to find a way to try it again but it will be a pour and not a bottle.  The bottle I have is NOTHING like all the descriptions I see posted.  It has almost NO sweetness whatsoever.  It is all heat and a very bitter oak finish. It has improved very slightly over time but not enough to risk another purchase.  My wife got me the bottle I have and paid a premium for it since she had to have it shipped in from out of state.

I have and am very familiar with other wheaters (OWA, W12, SB-Blend, Old Fitz, etc.) and this bottle of RY10 has nothing at all in common with any of them to my palate. 

It would not surprise if the first shipment of RY10yr was from the honey barrels.  Then after the glowing reviews, the less-than-honey ones get released.  That is sop in French wines.  The first shipped are for the reviewers and review magazines; then the ones from the less favorable part of the vineyard get released.  Agreed about tasting future bottles at a bar or store.  Caveat emptor in this game.

Has anyone heard of an exact release date on this.  No one I talk to at my local stores can give me any information.

I been searching and can't find anything online about the new release.  Supposedly a few people on here found new release bottles.  I've called a few places in Houston last week and they haven't heard anything.  One place said they received a case or so but it was allocated to wholesale side not retail.  Guy at Total Wine said they thought they where going to get some last Tuesday but didn't get any but those seem to have no idea what they are talking about.  I might call them up again though just to see.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:27 PM, HoustonNit said:

One place said they received a case or so but it was allocated to wholesale side not retail. 

I remember stores telling me that's their policy with the harder to find stuff (or the old tired line "my restaurants and bars are my best customers").  I don't shop at stores that do that.  They are not respecting their retail walk in customers, which are the lifeblood of any good retail store.

I remember stores telling me that's their policy with the harder to find stuff (or the old tired line "my restaurants and bars are my best customers").  I don't shop at stores that do that.  They are not respecting their retail walk in customers, which are the lifeblood of any good retail store.

Different states have different setups for how bars get their liquor. I know in my case, My local shops (Twin Liquors and Specs) don't do enough retail volume to get large allocations of tough to get stuff. Perhaps a case (6 bottles) of Blantons a year. Because Texas law is stupid and stores have to wholesale to bars, both do a ton of volume out the wholesale door and have access to much larger allocations. Now, most of that uptick in hard to find stuff also goes out the same door, but both store managers siphon off as much as they can to treat their retail regulars. So, bottom line, sending the 3 bottles of Pappy out the door to bars means that they can retail an extra case or two of Blantons and a few BATCs that they wouldn't have had otherwise.

4 hours ago, TexanBrad said:

I know in my case, My local shops (Twin Liquors and Specs) don't do enough retail volume to get large allocations of tough to get stuff. 

Just to set the record straight, your "local" Specs might be a relatively small neighborhood location, but Spec's is one of the larger retailers around and they have as much buying power as just about anyone.  So how they choose to "sub-allocate" to their individual stores is an internal decision and choice they make, but they have access a lot of the allocated LE's.  Your store may just not get very much.

Generally I've found reason to be skeptical of the numbers of allocated LE's that retailers tell people they get.  It's kind of like asking a girl how many sexual partners she's had, you need to multiply by three!   :)

Edited by Kepler
brain cramp when typing

I don't know if anybody knows for sure.  My local stores haven't been able to give me any information on when they expect to get any.

Buy and taste them with an open mind.  It seemed odd to me that RY10yrSiB came out of nowhere with so many good barrels.  We've already decided that it is probably sourced (HH ?).  So buy and taste carefully because last years release may have been the honey barrels.  I'm interested in your reviews of the new release..

Stopped by Packages & More on my way home (no bourbon but I did pick up a nice deal on two Cabernet's).  They said they got ONE bottle a couple of weeks ago and that was it.  He told the distributor that all one bottle would do is make everybody mad.  Don't know what they did with the one bottle though.  Could be that they stashed it back for their Black Friday sale.

After a few friends raved about it, I opened my bottle and as not overly impressed. For the price I'd rather have OWA. I went back to the bottle the other night to do a SBS tasting with OWA and the cork broke. You're not helping your case Rebel Yell :-)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I have enjoyed bottles from three different barrels, one barrel is better than the other two. However, all three are very tasty and are light years ahead of the much over rated OWA

I will pick up another bottle, if the opportunity arises. 

On April 6, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Madhatter said:

...So buy and taste carefully because last years release may have been the honey barrels.  I'm interested in your reviews of the new release..

This is pretty much where I sit regarding this whiskey .  The initial releases were all over the ball park review-wise, from what I saw, with a few to the " Good" side, most in the "Middle", and a few at the "Bad".  And I agree, these were the honey barrels most likely.  Or, at least reason would suggest the best would come first .  Makes me expect that they won't get any better.   My impressions of it from a couple of bottled tasted from are that is serviceable.  Not bad, just not a lot there, and offered nothing to get me excited about .  Below all iterations of Makers, Larceny, and OWA, but above WSR and even with W12 in my ratings scheme.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.