BOTM 1/17: Rebel Yell 10 yr old Single Barrel

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Only heard of one bottle ever making it to Elizabethtown.  Still keep stopping by and asking but all I get is "We ordered some but . . . "

Finally chased down a bottle.  Purchased it at TW and will pick it up Saturday.  Hopefully I'll get to try it Sunday.

I got my hands on 3 bottles back in April and wasn't immediately impressed with the one that I opened.  I thought it was a good bourbon, but not great.  After letting it sit on the shelf for a few weeks, I revisited it last night and liked it much better than I did in April.  It is a solid bourbon and I am glad I purchased some.

I had some last night along with some W12 last night and preferred the RY10. Interesting because I had a wheater blind tasting a few weeks back and preferred the W12 and slightly preferred OWA over RY10.

Maybe it's opened up.

Just got my first bottle of RY10.  Label says aged since 9/06, so not sure if it's 2016 or 2017 release.  I asked my local to inquire about it with the distributor and a case showed up.  Got 2 for $52 apiece.  I like it a lot.  Very drinkable, and compares favorably to a MMPS I have open which is superb.  At the price I paid, I'm happy with the purchase 

I find bemusement in the fact that some people actually hold a bias against the whiskey because of its name, and try to tie some sort of racist connection to it.  Really????

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I find bemusement in the fact that some people actually hold a bias against the whiskey because of its name, and try to tie some sort of racist connection to it.  Really????

Wait a minute . . . are folks saying Billy Idol is a racist?  I don't think he was that involved with the whiskey either way.  

I never had much exposure to RY, but the sample I got for the 10yr SB was just delightful.  Much spicier than I'd expect for a wheater, but a fine bourbon.  

If folks bought a bottle and don't want it because of the name, please reach out for disposal instructions :)   

Wait a minute . . . are folks saying Billy Idol is a racist?  I don't think he was that involved with the whiskey either way.  

I read the song was about Rebel Yell bourbon. He was hanging out with the Stones and RY is a favorite of Keith Richards.

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Only in the echo chamber that seems so irritatingly pervasive nowadays.   Peace out - I'll be in the False Dichotomies thread B)

Finally picked up my bottle from TW this afternoon.  Looking forward to trying it.

21 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Finally picked up my bottle from TW this afternoon.  Looking forward to trying it.

Hope you like it, Kevin. Be sure to let us know what you think!

18 hours ago, GaryT said:

No, not Billy Idol, but rather the connection to the American South and the Civil War of 150 years ago.  I know, odd isn't it?

The world is full of ignorant people,how else can you explain it.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

No, not Billy Idol, but rather the connection to the American South and the Civil War of 150 years ago.  I know, odd isn't it?

Odd is one name for it (I think someone else already got "ignorant").  

Folks - it's whiskey.  What I drink ain't trying to make any statement (unless I'm drinking that Terressentia crap - than I hope my friends will knock some sense into me!)  

Did anyone in this thread comment make any comment about the name and its connection to the confederacy or racism? I think someone commented about why name a 10yr SB LE expression after an essentially bottom shelf whiskey but I didn't see anyone comment about the name being inappropriate?

I could care less what they call it all I care about is what's in the bottle.

7 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Did anyone in this thread comment make any comment about the name and its connection to the confederacy or racism? I think someone commented about why name a 10yr SB LE expression after an essentially bottom shelf whiskey but I didn't see anyone comment about the name being inappropriate?

I could care less what they call it all I care about is what's in the bottle.

No Nit, not on these pages.  My statement was referring to these bizarre comments I have seen in other places.  

No Nit, not on these pages.  My statement was referring to these bizarre comments I have seen in other places.  

Ok good I like this place it's about exploring and finding good whiskey and sharing with others. It's not about trying to find hot topics to excite responses from others also known as...trolling.

3 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Ok good I like this place it's about exploring and finding good whiskey and sharing with others. It's not about trying to find hot topics to excite responses from others also known as...trolling.

Just making an observation of whiskey reviews that I found truly odd and outside of my area of comprehension.  I think most of us are here for the right reasons.

20 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

Hope you like it, Kevin. Be sure to let us know what you think!

Well, all I can say is that I wasn't disappointed.  My bottle was put in the barrel in September 2006.  Medium dark color as you would expect from something that has been in the barrel for 10 years.  Good legs in the glass.  Lots of caramel on the nose with very little acetone, which dissipated  quickly.  Tasted it neat first.  Same caramel that I got on the nose with some spiciness (cardamom, not pepper) and some smoky oak on the finish, but not to heavy. With water and then ice the caramel stays but the oakiness recedes.  I like my wheated bourbons so needless to say I enjoyed it.

• 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.