Amped up version of Evan Williams Black?

JPK
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello,

I'm wondering if any of you know of a pour that might be described as an "Amped up" version of EWB.

I happen to really like the stuff...but find it lacking in proof , finish and strong flavor.

I'd like a concentrated higher proof version if it exists...lol

I've tried the white label and feel it really is quite different and didn't enjoy much...just seemed harsh and prickley to me.

One of the flavors that really stand out to me in EWB is the char...or maybe some type of smoke.

It almost adds a scotch like profile to its bourbon flavor.

I don't find many reviews of bourbons that mention char that isn't a high rye bottle.

I like some rye for sure but many of the high ryes I've had seemed unbalanced and a little "sharp"...if that makes any sense to you.

OGD114 for instance. I like it. The finish is great. Mouthfeel is great.

It just has that high rye sharpness instead of a rounded "soft" sweet cinnamon/clove/leather/char taste.

I do read a lot about "smoke" in the Stagg Jr.

That's where I'm leaning for my next purchase.

I'm looking for around 100 proof or a little more...higher is ok (just add water)..but 80 proof seems so mellow anymore.

If anyone here has a solid recommendation I'd really appreciate hearing it.

Also...I'm really looking for a $50 and under bottle.

If you happen to know of a pour that meets my wants to a "T" and costs $200 LOL I'd like to hear it but I'm in no position to spend that type of $$$.

Thank you

John

Edited by JPK

There is a white label version of Evan Williams which is the Bottled In Bond, 100 proof. Often costs $5-6 more so still a value, but I don't think it is sold in all markets. The good thing is EW is a Heaven Hill brand, and they make several other BIB labels. Try them all, they're good values and the same source. Dant, Brown, McKenna, etc. 

Oh and you mentioned Stagg Jr. as being interesting to you. If you're thinking about Stagg Jr. but already like the Heaven Hill profile, without splitting too many hairs Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is sort of the Heaven Hill equivalent, and I prefer it over Stagg jr personally. It is a little older and generally a little more expensive though. 

4 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

There is a white label version of Evan Williams which is the Bottled In Bond, 100 proof. Often costs $5-6 more so still a value, but I don't think it is sold in all markets. The good thing is EW is a Heaven Hill brand, and they make several other BIB labels. Try them all, they're good values and the same source. Dant, Brown, McKenna, etc. 

Add Virgin Bourbon 101, and Fighting Cock 103.

thank you for the replies thus far.

I do like..in fact the EC12 was my favorite pour till they changed it.

I find the new stuff a far cry from the old.

Not trying to restart an EC12 vs EC NAS here...just my feelings.

Not a fan of the EW white...very different flavor profile IMO.

Never heard of Virgin...and forgot about FC103...going to look into those.

Thank you all!

McKenna BIB, a 10 year 100 proof HH bottling

maybe even Old Ezra 7 year 101 proof, generally assumed to be sourced from HH

Edited by Whiskey Dick

You should probably start by moving up the HH ladder from EWB since you want a similar flavor with a bit more oomph.

Start with the various HH BIB's as mentioned above (except white label of course). They are not in all markets though. If you can find it, I'd especially recommend the HH6yr BIB.

Then there's EW1783, though I've never tried it and don't recall anything good ever being said about it.

After that, try Evan Williams Single Barrel. Then Henry McKenna 10yr BIB. Other good ideas mentioned above.

3 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Oh and you mentioned Stagg Jr. as being interesting to you. If you're thinking about Stagg Jr. but already like the Heaven Hill profile, without splitting too many hairs Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is sort of the Heaven Hill equivalent, and I prefer it over Stagg jr personally. It is a little older and generally a little more expensive though. 

A "little" more expensive? A handle of EW BIB is about $26 in Phoenix where we are headed. In terms of price, Stagg Jr. and EC BP are both premium bourbons that run almost double that--when you can find them.  IMO, neither belongs in the same discussion with value priced EW. I agree with flahute's recommendation of HH 6YO--if you can find it. I get it in Louisville for 10.69/750. Have not seen it in handles or I would buy several of those. And I have enjoyed numerous bottles/handles of 1783, a somewhat more mellow, subdued expression of the EW profile. All of this EW talk is a reminder of what fantastic bargains HH offers.

The Henry McKenna is good stuff for sure...but it doesn't have the smoky flavor.

The EW1783 isn't bad at all. I had forgotten about it actually. I may well revisit that one.

I had it pretty early on in my whisky tastings and my tastes have changed since then..but I remember thinking it was pretty good.

I just wish they'd make a 100 proof version..lol

I haven't tried any HH labels. Why "except white label of course"? are you referring to EW white?

I just looked at HH's website. They don't list anything actually called Heaven Hill. Do they still make an actual Heaven Hill pour?

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, JPK said:

The Henry McKenna is good stuff for sure...but it doesn't have the smoky flavor.

The EW1783 isn't bad at all. I had forgotten about it actually. I may well revisit that one.

I had it pretty early on in my whisky tastings and my tastes have changed since then..but I remember thinking it was pretty good.

I just wish they'd make a 100 proof version..lol

I haven't tried any HH labels. Why "except white label of course"? are you referring to EW white?

I just looked at HH's website. They don't list anything actually called Heaven Hill. Do they still make an actual Heaven Hill pour?

Thank you!

Yes, the white label BIB which you said in your original post that you don't prefer

Heaven Hill does make a number of budget labels with that name on the label. Not sure you can get them in Michigan but if you ever have reason to drive through Kentucky you can find it easily.

1 hour ago, Flyfish said:

A "little" more expensive? A handle of EW BIB is about $26 in Phoenix where we are headed. In terms of price, Stagg Jr. and EC BP are both premium bourbons that run almost double that--when you can find them.  IMO, neither belongs in the same discussion with value priced EW. I agree with flahute's recommendation of HH 6YO--if you can find it. I get it in Louisville for 10.69/750. Have not seen it in handles or I would buy several of those. And I have enjoyed numerous bottles/handles of 1783, a somewhat more mellow, subdued expression of the EW profile. All of this EW talk is a reminder of what fantastic bargains HH offers.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in what I was saying. I was saying that ECBP is a little more expensive that Stagg Jr. The OP mentioned wanting to also try Stagg JR for a higher octane pour. Yes, clearly ECBP should not be in the same discussion of Heaven Hill value pours with their BIBs 

Thanks Flahute. Very strange they don't list them on their website. Wonder what their reasoning behind that...?

yip, that's the one to try, if you ever get a chance. worth taking a case home with you if you come through KY. Not a mind blowingly great bourbon, but I would argue there's not a single bourbon of greater price/quality ratio.

I like the EB 101 7 yr but if you are willing to go up in price ($40 ish) you should give Ezra B a try. It's 99 proof and aged 12 yrs. 

28 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I like the EB 101 7 yr but if you are willing to go up in price ($40 ish) you should give Ezra B a try. It's 99 proof and aged 12 yrs. 

Less than a year ago, this was $28 or so out here. It's now $50. I refuse to buy it at the new price.

I will buy any SAOS BP products, rye or bourbon, sight unseen anymore. I've yet to have a bad one.

2 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

I will buy any SAOS BP products, rye or bourbon, sight unseen anymore. I've yet to have a bad one.

I have enjoyed every SAOS BP I have ever bought as well.  In fact, every SAOS product, except a bottle of SAOS 10.  I am not sure why.  It had to be the batch.  

Great suggestions on the next steps up on EWB.  I think the logical next step would be EWSB, then EC, then HMck10, then ECBP.  The only caveat is that EWSB and HMcK10 are SiB so, while good, there will be some variability.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.