Empty Bottle Support Group 2017

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 minutes ago, spectre said:

That Booker's  2014-06 is some good stuff! I've got one bottle left and it's due for a spot in the rotation soon.

It's hard to beat for sure. Glad we both have more.

Finally finished off this bottle. It took awhile. Not because I haven't enjoyed the bottle, but because it was tasty. I look forward to my next encounter with The Hulk, aka Stagg Jr....

IMG_1701.JPG

Can't say I'm sorry to see this one go. Drank way hotter than it's 125 proof.  Following it up with some ECBP batch 12 which doesn't seem nearly as hot..and has such a great finish compared to the FP.

20170909_234314-756x1008.jpg

21 hours ago, Clueby said:

Can't say I'm sorry to see this one go. Drank way hotter than it's 125 proof.  Following it up with some ECBP batch 12 which doesn't seem nearly as hot..and has such a great finish compared to the FP.

20170909_234314-756x1008.jpg

Interesting that you felt it was"hot".  I always feel that Full Proof drinks a lot smoother than what one would expect from a 125 proof.

59 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

Interesting that you felt it was"hot".  I always feel that Full Proof drinks a lot smoother than what one would expect from a 125 proof.

This is the only bottle I've ever tried and its a PS so maybe that has something to do with it..but yeah it was all burn. And I prefer high proof most of the time.

This is the only bottle I've ever tried and its a PS so maybe that has something to do with it..but yeah it was all burn. And I prefer high proof most of the time.

It's been a busy night for me started with a pour a SAOS SB 11yr cask strength at 49.7%. Not as good as my previous barrel a11yr around 55%-60% but really excellent. Followed by a ECBP, OC8YR/Stagg Jr and finishing with a PS 1792 full proof PS.

I rank them tonight as SAOS, ECBP, OC8YR/Stagg Jr and 1792 PS full proof last.

Need to get another bottle of SAOS SB from NASA they have a great selection. Want to to try a high proof younger barrel.

The 1792 didn't drink hot, the nose is nice and interesting but the finish after taste blows. Might of been hotter if it was my first pour.

Well, I just finished off a bottle of Wild Turkey Masters Keep Decades, I thought it was a good pout, but won't be opening my back up for some time.

Right now I am doing a SBS with a WTKS and Decades to see how they both stack up.

IMG_1146.JPG

Well, I just finished off a bottle of Wild Turkey Masters Keep Decades, I thought it was a good pout, but won't be opening my back up for some time.

Right now I am doing a SBS with a WTKS and Decades to see how they both stack up.
IMG_1146.thumb.JPG.b5240589f34188e00d166be481b2cad5.JPG

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on how you think those two compare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on how you think those two compare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been through many WTKS bottlings, and usually prefer WT101, but I found one on the shelf from the 2nd floor of a rick house, and it's really dark.

Background on the WTKS:

Bottled: 2/19/2016

Warehouse: O

Rick # 2

Brief Tasting Notes of the WTKS:  A shy nose, but good mid-palate and finish.  It's a spice monster overall with some orange peel, in the palate, with some drying oak, and strangely some powdered sugar in the finish.  I liked this one a lot and bought a backup bottle.

Brief Tasting Notes on the Decades:  A nose full of spice, orange peel, oak, and a lot of other things that I can't pin down.  The mid-palate starts slow, then blooms with brown sugar, baking spices, unmistakable WT character, sweet, spicy oak.  The mid-palate transitions into the finish, which includes notes of caramel, brown sugar, light mint, graham cracker?, slight nutmeg/clove.  The finish tends to fade away quickly initially, then builds for a curtain call.

I do like the Diamond more than the Wild Turkey 17, but is it really worth it?  I also like it better than Diamond Anniversary (but I found adding WTRB (03 I think) to Diamond Anniversary is nice, and really adds a nice little funk to the mix).

Bonus tasting, just because I was feeling Wild Turkey tonight.

Background on the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel:

Barrel #2078

Rickhouse: M

Floor #5

Store Pick: G-Will Liquors Twin Cities, MN (several locations)

Brief Tasting Notes on the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel  A nose of anise seed, brown sugar, funky oak, this one always seems a bit weird.  The mid-palate starts with funkiness, mint, anise seed, nutmeg, brown sugar, but it's an odd taste---and this is what I've experienced for 3/4 of the bottle.  The mid-palate transitions into the finish which is brief including slight brown sugar, nutmeg, mint, funkiness (to be determined).  Not my favorite store selection, but unique to what I've tasted for Wild Turkey.  Based on all of the single barrels I've tasted, this is the most "off profile" I've tasted.

Finished off this gem last night. I have been working on this bottle for about 6 months. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to my next one. 

IMG_7357.thumb.JPG.85446d40bbac0a277931a7a0bf15b356.JPG

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:05 PM, Jazz Nut said:

I found adding WTRB (03 I think) to Diamond Anniversary is nice, and really adds a nice little funk to the mix).

Do you have ESP or something, because you read my mind and stole my idea! (JK).  Great minds think alike.  Adding Rare Breed to Diamond Anniversary gives the well-aged Diamond the extra "kick" that it needs.  I call it Poor Man's WT12 ! ;)

Edited by Kepler

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

Do you have ESP or something, because you read my mind and stole my idea! (JK).  Great minds think alike.  Adding Rare Breed to Diamond Anniversary gives the well-aged Diamond the extra "kick" that it needs.  I call it Poor Man's WT12 ! ;)

Nice. I sometimes mix bourbons or scotches together too. 

For example Longmorn and Clynelish go well together. And Highland Park, being the great all-rounder that it is, pretty much goes well with anything (except the more potent Islays, for obvious reasons).

Edited by BourbonDude

^Kepler now you can go after that case of barrel picks.

I emptied what was left of Canadian Club 100% rye and had to pour down the drain an EWSB 2004 that was corked, darn shame.

No reason to keep it around. Had my lower cabinets torn out due to flooding and needed shelf space.

Having only recently become a bourbonite I was looking forward to my first "Empty Bottle Support Group" picture and post.  Unfortunately my first empty (KC SiB PS) happened at our tailgate and I was unable to get a picture.  Would be more sad if I didn't have two other PS KC SiB and one that bottled myself at the distillery tour bunkered.

Just killed a bottle of Blantons while watching my Packers get their asses kicked.  This bottle got better with time - I hope the Packers do too.

Finished off a bottle of OGD 114 in an old fashioned while grilling tonight. It's one of my go to's for a high octane cocktail. Not as big of a fan of it on it's own.

I have fond feelings for this bottle.  It was my support through a recent prolonged hurricane watch.  Finally finished off what little was left.  A fond farewell!

ER10 Empty.jpg

A bottle of HH6yrBIB will head to the bin in the morning. I am still kicking myself for not buying these sooner. So good for so cheap!

Any bourbon named by Ronnie Van Zant in a Lynyrd Skynyrd song is good in my book.IMG_3148.JPG

Edited by Mako254

Anyone ever wonder why there's way more posts in the purchase bragfest vs. the empty bottle thread?

Well a really enjoyable pick of RRSiB, really nice sad to see it go.

Have other backups on deck.

ff103ff124a62f4f238082ad19b66ea4.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.