Empty Bottle Support Group 2017

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

You sat at the airport for over a week????!!!     Now to me that is just an unconscionable flight delay.     I would NOT stand for such, if it were me.     Of course if they supplied the bourbon for free, I'd be less likely to complain.

Must've been United. :D

Final pour of a 1792FP SB. Very good, but I've only tried this store select, so I don't know how the regular version is.

IMG_0064.JPG

Edited by JSpartan

In my admittedly meager experience (three picks, three 'shelf' bottles), 1792 FP doesn't seem to vary much.   

All that I've had were wonderful.      Differences are noted; but, all have been fairly similar.   And, for my wallet at least, all were worth the ask.

17 hours ago, JSpartan said:

Final pour of a 1792FP SB. Very good, but I've only tried this store select, so I don't know how the regular version is.

7 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

In my admittedly meager experience (three picks, three 'shelf' bottles), 1792 FP doesn't seem to vary much.   

All that I've had were wonderful.      Differences are noted; but, all have been fairly similar.   And, for my wallet at least, all were worth the ask.

A few months ago I tried 3 sbsbs (2 store picks and a regular bottle) of full proof.

Came to pretty much the same conclusions:  Slightly different, but all very familiar.

The "normal" bottle did place last, but it certainly wasn't bad by any means.

Finished a 12 year wheated experimental this week.

This was very interesting.  Had the normal Weller thing going on, but also some light berries in the middle and fresh fruit on the finish.

I'm not a big fan of Weller 12, but I definitely enjoyed this bottle.

IMAG2258_1.jpg

One man down.  One man up.

Over the years I have come to appreciate BT more and more, especially at it's price point.  And, with the increasing scarcity of this stuff in my neck of the woods, I suppose that the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" phenomenon has also contributed to my appreciation!

Buffalo Trace.jpg

Kicked my last SAOS Rye, pretty sad to see it go. The RRSB was a good one too fortunately don't have to look too far for my next pour. 

IMG_20170806_000008274.jpg

Finished this recently, it's a 375ml JB Signature Craft Harvest series - the High Rye release.  It was actually quite good.  For a comparison, think it might be what an 11 year old 90 proof OGD could taste like.  I'd buy it again and in fact have another.  I bought a selection of different recipes when I came across them at around twenty bucks about a year ago.  Thought I'd sample several of them out of curiosity. I can't say I'm expecting the others I bought to be as good as this High Rye (brown rice, Triticale and whole rolled oat.  They didn't have any of the red wheat unfortunately).  But I'll keep an open mind, whenever I get around to opening them.

WIN_20170731_001732.thumb.JPG.4249f40dfd1416623a30be70e0ec0a41.JPG

Busy night tonight, and I'm too lazy to go get my camera and don't know how to take pictures WITH A PHONE (after all, IT IS A PHONE!!) so all you get is a stock photo of ONE of my empties.  My only Baby Saz bit the dust as the base in some Cynar Manhattans while we finished off some skirt steak I grilled this weekend, and tonight "all by myself, again" I finished off my Jos.A.Magnus Cigar Blend Batch #1.  The opinions of some critics notwithstanding (Hi, Wade, et al), I will miss the JAB/CB#1 a lot.  So, thanks, Nancy.  Your work is appreciated by me.

JAB CB 1.jpg

Four roses yellow hit the bin. I'm always slow to buy another but they always go fast

On 8/4/2017 at 4:24 PM, Richnimrod said:

You sat at the airport for over a week????!!!     Now to me that is just an unconscionable flight delay.     I would NOT stand for such, if it were me.     Of course if they supplied the bourbon for free, I'd be less likely to complain.

Good one Rich! :) that had me laughing. 

I was stuck at an airport for a couple of days a while back during a business trip. A fellow passenger reminded me that we actually willingly paid and continue to pay to be tortured:)

Ah, hate to see the last pour of this one.  But, the pain is eased by the fact that, after several weeks of no luck, I found a replacement bottle of this stuff for the cabinet the other day.  Relief!  Blanton's is no longer "exciting" to drink for me, but it's sort of like an old friend that I know I can always enjoy the evening with -- good stuff!

Blantons.jpg

On 8/9/2017 at 5:53 PM, Swamp55 said:

Ah, hate to see the last pour of this one.  But, the pain is eased by the fact that, after several weeks of no luck, I found a replacement bottle of this stuff for the cabinet the other day.  Relief!  Blanton's is no longer "exciting" to drink for me, but it's sort of like an old friend that I know I can always enjoy the evening with -- good stuff!

Blantons.jpg

It's a very good pour!

Done with my bottle of Baker's in 5 nights. I don't remember the last time a bottle went that fast!!!

IMG_2682.JPG

Just good old EW White label. Solid pour great in the fridge.

Just need to get some HH 6yr.

8e993a9bb32b2c9875249d04c65078f9.jpg

Having the last pour from a fantastic family size PS BT. Yeah, I know, it's only BT but this was truly a honey barrel and one I'll definitely miss. I've always been a fan of BT, but it's the second time I've had a PS that showed me how amazing this whiskey can be. It's great to know there's still reasonably priced bourbon that IMHO will stand with damn near anything else out there, regardless of proof. Hats off to my favorite distillery!

After a long day in the yard, this seemed like a nice way to hydrate this evening. Sadly I feel this is one of the many bottles to become empty as there are a few with very little left in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2ab46e549c992c87f3b665fcdb046343.jpg

Having the last pour from a fantastic family size PS BT. Yeah, I know, it's only BT but this was truly a honey barrel and one I'll definitely miss. I've always been a fan of BT, but it's the second time I've had a PS that showed me how amazing this whiskey can be. It's great to know there's still reasonably priced bourbon that IMHO will stand with damn near anything else out there, regardless of proof. Hats off to my favorite distillery!

I've been really digging BT PS lately, sad to see one bite the dust.

2 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Killed this one last night.  Is it OK to post @ rye on this forum, or will I get hit by lightning?

IMG_3652 (002).JPG

Wow, I wish it were that price here. 

Dant BIB, HH6 BIB, Old Forester 1920, and new bottle Weller SR are headed to the recycle bin. A couple I finished a while back, and a couple more recently. Now I have to find a couple to open. ;)

Cheers! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.