Bourbons with a lot of char taste?

JPK
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello Friends,

I'm trying to get a list together of pours that have a higher than average level of "char" in the taste.

Enough to actually tell it's there..and not necessarily in balance either.

From the very few I've tasted I would put these on the list.

EWB (the most assertive so far)

EW 1783 (just a little)

EB (I don't care for this pour..though I could taste some char..maybe because of the filtering after distilling?)

I'm thinking of trying fighting cock next as I've heard some talk of char in the taste.

I like the char taste and would enjoy sampling some well rounded pours that have a higher level than average char flavor.

Maybe I'll work on compiling a list of non-chill filtered bourbons...maybe they would have more particles of char left in them...?

Thanks for the help!

John

Edited by JPK

You might wanna try Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof.

It's not particularly complex or deep; but, it does have a good deal of char along with sweetness and cereal, and no shortage of proof-ahge.   HA!

It's pretty good for what it is, and I like it well enough that I replaced it before I ran through the first bottle.

Have you tried Cooper's Craft?  I've only had it once but I remember a lot of char in it.  I think it's only available in the south though. 

6 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

You might wanna try Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof.

It's not particularly complex or deep; but, it does have a good deal of char along with sweetness and cereal, and no shortage of proof-ahge.   HA!

It's pretty good for what it is, and I like it well enough that I replaced it before I ran through the first bottle.

What Rich said.   AND, I did the same thing - bought a replacement before I was halfway through the first one.  And, I now have two on the shelf in addition to the open one.  Can't be too careful.  You just never know what B-F is going to do with its spirit.

Also, I just finished off my KC 2001, Batch 1 (100 proof, BTW).  At $133 per, I won't likely buy another - just not 5 times better than basic KC which I like well enough.  BUT, sipping it neat reminds me enough of a 2" charcoal grilled bone-in sirloin steak that my mouth waters just thinking about it.

Many people on SB have said that W12 has a noticeable amount of char, to the point of being sooty.

5 hours ago, Conquistador said:

Many people on SB have said that W12 has a noticeable amount of char, to the point of being sooty.

I was going to suggest this one but decided not to since it's impossible to find anymore. It's true though. It was one of my first impressions when I first started drinking it. 

17 hours ago, Conquistador said:

Can confirm, wrt two bottles I tasted about a year ago.  The ashy/sooty came through in the finish.  If it was limited to a few poorer barrels, you would think that the master (ahem) blenders could have blended it away.  Since they didn't, it may have affected a larger number of bottles.  Recent tasting notes I've read haven't had the ashy criticism.

^^^I think it was the '13 run of W12 where this characteristic was often cited.  Quite a bit of that distillate would have been sold into '14 as well. 

• 10 months later...

Just thought I'd chime in on this one.

Since starting this I've tried quite a few other bourbons.

Found out KCSB is my fav...so far lol

Also Really liking extra oak and char in my bourbons.

I actually really like Devil's cut and Double oaked from JB....could be higher proof though.

Need to pick up JBB to try also want to take up GrPeMi's idea of Larceny.

Can any of you think of some other real oak & char bombs?

Thanks

Edited by JPK

Give Woodford Double Oaked a try if you can. I forget what the proof is but I was pleasantly surprised.

Oh Boy..I'd love to try that stuff (GTS)...around here it's a little pricey though...$90...if you can find it.

...never seen it at a bar either....:(

That WRDO does sound good. Still $67 in these parts. I don't mind WR...good idea!

Edited by JPK

For dirt, grit, leaf mold, mushroom, Good Earth, charcoal flavor, lately I've reached for OE 7yr.  It is a perfect cold day sipper to me after or during yard work.  Like earlier today.

I do like actually really like OE7.

In fact it is in my top 3 $20-$25 bottles. (OE7,WT101,JBDO)...depends on mood.

Have to admit I never really picked up the flavors you describe.

...there is a flavor in there I haven't been able to nail down though...maybe I can taste again with your thoughts in mind.

...."dirt, grit, leaf mold, mushroom, Good Earth, charcoal flavor" actually sounds good to me...lol...now I'm thirsty...lol

6 minutes ago, JPK said:

I do like actually really like OE7.

In fact it is in my top 3 $20-$25 bottles. (OE7,WT101,JBDO)...depends on mood.

Have to admit I never really picked up the flavors you describe.

...there is a flavor in there I haven't been able to nail down though...maybe I can taste again with your thoughts in mind.

...."dirt, grit, leaf mold, mushroom, Good Earth, charcoal flavor" actually sounds good to me...lol...now I'm thirsty...lol

Stores here carry it more often than they used to, and that makes me really happy now that late Fall is here.

Darnit Virtuoso....lol

I've only had it during the summer.

....never even thought about it being a "autumn/winter comfort" pour.

I gotta get some more...lol

Been looking forward to sipping some KCSB during passes with the snowblower...lol...maybe I'll get on with some OE7 also.

...hope it snows a lot...lol

Well...

my Wife..bless her...Was at the store and saw a long searched for bottle of Fighting Cock.

She picked it up for me.

Must say...not bad for the price and alc%

It is basically all sweet, vanilla , and some burn....though not bad for the proof...the sweetness helps with that.

no char or oak that I can pick up in any amounts.

...but it is ok for the price & proof if ya like sweet and vanilla.

Basically anything in the 10-20 year range if you like char/oak. Here are some that range from easy to only moderately hard to find.

Orphan Barrel Forged Oak or Barterhouse if you can find them. Despite the internet hate Gifted Horse was pretty good and had a decent amount of oak too.

IW Harper 15 year

Eagle Rare 10, I would say this is the best value for sure if you like a bit of oak, store picks can be very good

Elijah Craig, 12/NAS/BP all have a bit of oak, 18 especially

Henry McKenna 10 BIB

Russell's Reserve 10 year or Single Barrel

Knob Creek SB store pick in the 12-14 year range

High West Bourye

Whistlepig 10/12 rye, the 10 year store picks are especially good

Lock Stock & Barrel rye 13/16 year

Edited by EarthQuake

22 minutes ago, JPK said:

Fighting Cock.

..but it is ok for the price & proof if ya like sweet and vanilla.

FC is good for the price. But you should try it aged 12 years and bottled at barrel proof, and called ECBP.  Then you'll find the char, and a lot more. 

I have a bottle of ECBP...bought it to try to replace EC12.

Not the same...too much variance per batch I think.

Darn good pour though. And definitely some oak too

Edited by JPK

Thanks earthquake.

I've only had a few of those listed HMcKenna BIBER10, and ECNAS.

I'll have to look into the others you listed.

You may well be right in looking for 10yr+

Wish my wallet agreed...lol

Edited by JPK
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.