Let Us Celebrate the Life of Parker Beam

mosugoji64
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sad news indeed. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family, and all his "other" family at Heaven Hill. 

Joe

Thank you Parker for decades of top notch bourbon, and for your example of bravery and genteel in the face of such a wicked disease. RIP.

I am so sad to learn today that we have lost Parker Beam, the Master Distiller for generations at Heaven Hill.  Parker was a devoted family man and giant among bourbon titans.  His wife Linda fought by his side through to the end of his courageous battle with ALS.  Parker, Linda, and Craig were dear friends to many of us at StraightBourbon.com.  I invite you to post pictures and memories of this great man.  Let us celebrate the life of Parker Beam.  

I'll kick off the celebration. The picture below was taken at the 2004 KBF Sampler at the Civil War Museum in Bardstown.  In those days, all the Master Distillers were active participants in the Sampler.  Later that evening Parker signed and gave to me a bottle of Elijah Craig 18yo, a bottle which I have to this day. 

Cliff and Parker in 2004.jpg

Truly sad news.  A true ambassador for the bourbon industry and someone who connected its exciting present with its rich past.  May he rest in peace and may his name and memory always be present in the hearts of all bourbon lovers.

Sad indeed. Never had the pleasure to meet him, but a truly one of a kind man.

May the angels be pouring freely tonight with all they have robbed of the barrels over the years.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such sad news.  My grandmother had ALS (diagnosed in 2006, passed away in 2010).  What a horrible disease, hoping for a cure someday soon!  What a great master distiller, Heaven Hill bourbons are one of my top picks.  Whether it is an EWBIB, EWSB, EC12, ECBP, or PHC---among many others!  I'll be pouring an ECBP in honor tonight.

1 hour ago, Caskstrength said:

Will pour some Jim Beam tonight in remembrance.

You mean Evan Williams  or Elijah Craig,  right?

He was a true gentleman!  Heaven Hill could not have had a better brand Ambassador that Parker Beam.  May he rest in peace, and always be fondly remembered.

So sad a day, as we all mourn the passing of another Bourbon Legend, and a fine and generous man. 

He probably suffered as much as he could, and I'm sure his family will eventually come to terms with this loss, as will we all; and trust that he is no longer suffering, but joining the friends and family that preceded him to the great reward.

Rest forever in the peace you earned with your life here among us, Parker.    You will certainly be missed by many, many people.

Thanx to Cliff for posting this unfortunate news.

As one that grew especially fond of PHC over the years as well as others in the Heaven Hill stable, we will truly miss him, RIP PB...I'll pour some PHC golden anniversary in honor.

14 minutes ago, Paddy said:

He was a true gentleman!  Heaven Hill could not have had a better brand Ambassador that Parker Beam.  May he rest in peace, and always be fondly remembered.

What Paddy said.    A fine gentleman, and truly generous spirit.   He will be missed by all who knew him, and many who knew of him. 

He certainly laid down some wonderful whiskey for all of us to enjoy.    Let's raise a glass of one of his brands to his memory.    Cheers, Parker!    We'll miss you.

ALS is such an insidious disease that takes away a person a small bit at a time while loved ones watch helplessly.   Not fair it should happen to anybody, especially a wonderful man like Parker Beam.

He's at rest now, and I hope his family and all his close friends can accept that he's in a better place now.

Man........we knew this day was coming, but it doesn't make it any easier. RIP to Parker and condolences to his family and Heaven Hill brothers and sisters.

I never had a chance to meet him but consider myself lucky to have seen his video tribute to Jim Rutledge back in November. They were probably the last words of his spoken in public so to speak. I'm grateful for everything he did to make Heaven Hill what it is today.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Parker, and haven't met anyone who has had that pleasure who didn't hold him in the highest esteem.  I know I've enjoyed the hell out of the bourbon he oversaw, and am sad to learn of his passing.  I hope he is at peace, and his family and close friends take comfort in that.  

In the early and mid-2000s, thanks in large measure to the efforts of Bettye Jo Boone and Jim Butler, hanging out with StraightBourbon.com members at the Gen. Nelson gazebo during the KBF was the place to be.  All the Master Distillers hung out with us at the gazebo.  At the 2003 KBF, I brought Erlenmeyer flasks to the gazebo.  They were quite the hit and Parker Beam was happy to drink with us from his flask, too.  Such memories ... .  I will so miss this man.

Parker Erlenmeyer Gazebo.jpg

Edited by Barrel_Proof

Thoughts and prayers with Parker's family. ALS is such a horrible disease to have to suffer through that it may almost salve the grief of loss to know Parker has relief from the suffering. 

This news saddens me very deeply. Parker was a unique guy, and I have many fond memories of time spent with him. My deepest condolences to Linda and the rest of his family.

We will not discuss the time Parker and Jim Rutledge got me trashed at the SF Whiskey Expo, however. This shot; 2004 in San Francisco (sobriety intact).

jim and parker.jpg

We all knew it was coming but still very sad to hear. I did not get a chance to meet Parker Beam as we were not so fortunate to have many of the master distillers stopping by the gazebo by the time I was a regular attendee. Most unfortunate. But of course the whiskey he produced speaks for itself and I hope that with his son still on board at Heaven Hill we will continue to be able to honor his accomplishments for many years to come.

Hopefully a little of the PHC Promise of Hope will serve as a fitting tribute to his memory later this evening.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.