Cloudy after adding ice...

M1marksman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got a bottle of Woodenville Whiskey Co. bourbon as a gift. Enjoyed my first pour neat. Not bad, a little oakey perhaps. A few days later i poured myself a bit. I had a few sips and decided to drop an ice ball into it. The bourbon started getting cloudy, as the ice melted it became more cloudy, looking rather unappealing. For the record my ice is made with water run through a reverse osmosis setup then I  boil the water twice before I make the ice, so it's not a ice problem. I've never had this happen with any other bourbons, any thoughts?

16 minutes ago, M1marksman said:

I got a bottle of Woodenville Whiskey Co. bourbon as a gift. Enjoyed my first pour neat. Not bad, a little oakey perhaps. A few days later i poured myself a bit. I had a few sips and decided to drop an ice ball into it. The bourbon started getting cloudy, as the ice melted it became more cloudy, looking rather unappealing. For the record my ice is made with water run through a reverse osmosis setup then I  boil the water twice before I make the ice, so it's not a ice problem. I've never had this happen with any other bourbons, any thoughts?

Your first problem is that you're adding ice :D

If the water you use to make your ice is not cloudy, you most likely have a bottle of Non-Chill Filtered whiskey.  I know nothing about Woodenville Whiskey Co and I'm too lazy to post a link to LMGTFY so take with a grain of salt.

Edited by namadio

1 hour ago, namadio said:

Your first problem is that you're adding ice :D

If the water you use to make your ice is not cloudy, you most likely have a bottle of Non-Chill Filtered whiskey.  I know nothing about Woodenville Whiskey Co and I'm too lazy to post a link to LMGTFY so take with a grain of salt.

That would make sense. Many thanks.

M1, there are some older threads on here that discuss the scientific underpinnings of this phenomenon in such excruciating detail that even those of us with science degrees had to drink in order to get through the explanations.   Bottom line: not bad whiskey or bad ice.  It is related to non-chill filtering.  The drop in temp causes some of the congeners (the flavorful bits) to come out of solution a little.  They would have been removed if the whiskey had been chill filtered (i.e., sort of but not technically "homogenized").  Want them to go away?  Try letting the glass come to room temp.

16 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

M1, there are some older threads on here that discuss the scientific underpinnings of this phenomenon in such excruciating detail that even those of us with science degrees had to drink in order to get through the explanations.   Bottom line: not bad whiskey or bad ice.  It is related to non-chill filtering.  The drop in temp causes some of the congeners (the flavorful bits) to come out of solution a little.  They would have been removed if the whiskey had been chill filtered (i.e., sort of but not technically "homogenized").  Want them to go away?  Try letting the glass come to room temp.

What Harry said.    NOTHING WRONG with the whiskey OR the ice.     I believe the term (the one I've heard anyway) is "frost haze", and it occurs in unfiltered spirits, when they are chilled.

Whenever I see it, I say THANK YOU For NOT FILTERING OUT ALL The FLAVOR from my Bourbon.    If this appearance bothers you... close your eyes... HA!    ...OR, send any offending Bourbon to me.

7 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

What Harry said.    NOTHING WRONG with the whiskey OR the ice.     I believe the term (the one I've heard anyway) is "frost haze", and it occurs in unfiltered spirits, when they are chilled.

Whenever I see it, I say THANK YOU For NOT FILTERING OUT ALL The FLAVOR from my Bourbon.    If this appearance bothers you... close your eyes... HA!    ...OR, send any offending Bourbon to me.

What you've heard as frost haze is what Ralfy would call Scotch Mist in Scotch whiskey.

(Emphasis added to original post quotation.)

Dean

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.