70/30 Knox Whiskey Works

Knocksville10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked this up from a local LS today. 70/30 Corn and the. Single Barrel Cask Stregth 116.23 to be exact.m

IMG_3671.JPG

IMG_3672.JPG

IMG_3673.JPG

Where in Knoxville is the distillery?  I get there often on business, and would like to stop in.  

Nose: overwhelming maple, brown sugar, vanilla. Bare with me here, almost like a KC barbecue sauce. Slight alcohol.

Taste: clove, vanilla, incredibly sweet. Minimal alcohol. Slightly viscus. Still seems a little watery.

Finish: About what one would reasonably expect from a CS whiskey. Short and sweet though.

Forgive me if I didn't paint the clearest picture. This is my first ever review. With that said, this is the first CS I've ever had but it definitely doesnt drink to it's proof. I give it a solid B+. For $34.99, would definitely buy again.

5 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Where in Knoxville is the distillery?  I get there often on business, and would like to stop in.  

If you're familiar with the downtown area, it's on Jackson Ave. Near Sweet Pea's Downtown Dive BBQ.

Slightly OT, but  is there's an awesome brewery/restaurant on the corner of Jackson & Broadway called Balter Beer Works. If you haven't been there, do yourself a favor and go grab some tacos/sliders there.

Thanks.  I'll look for it next trip.  Interesting side bar on the 70/30, that they combine the rye and malted barley percentages together into "30", rather than listing them separately.  Wonder why?

34 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Thanks.  I'll look for it next trip.  Interesting side bar on the 70/30, that they combine the rye and malted barley percentages together into "30", rather than listing them separately.  Wonder why?

My guess is that it makes it seem like a higher Rye mash bill than it really is.

This is actually a sourced whiskey. However, they recently released a small amount of their own bourbon, the first Knoxville bourbon that I know of. They called it their silver release. Opened something like 20 small barrels, sold off the shelves in about 1 week. A good portion of that was slotted to the multiple proprietors of the business. Managed to grab a bottle that they had tucked away at the distillery. As far as I know they are planning for at least two later releases out of the same batch. To be named gold and platinum or something along those lines. Still haven't opened it. I also thought that 70/30 dark label was enjoyable.

Fun looking distillery.  Their Old City Heirloom Corn Whiskey looks interesting.  I see TN now has over 20 distilleries listed.  Between Middle and East TN, there's a distillery within ~40 miles of any household.  Wasn't too long ago there were only two for the whole state.  Or maybe they've always been there, un-publicized? lol.  TN must be second only to you-know-who in numbers of whiskey distilleries. 

17 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

My guess would be to give some mashbill information without giving away the source completely (assuming the mashbill is recognizable). 

17 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It notes it is sourced on the label so good on them for that. The "old bourbon casks" part is what caught my eye. This seems an odd turn of phrase and makes me think used casks could be involved.  The grossly overused term "curated" is also thrown in there for good measure. So maybe from Kentucky but not made in Kentucky? Something sourced from Diageo perhaps?

Isn't MM made with 70% corn? But that seems a rather unlikely source.

Maybe you can get the truth out of them Joe!

51 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It notes it is sourced on the label so good on them for that. The "old bourbon casks" part is what caught my eye. This seems an odd turn of phrase and makes me think used casks could be involved.  The grossly overused term "curated" is also thrown in there for good measure. So maybe from Kentucky but not made in Kentucky? Something sourced from Diageo perhaps?

Isn't MM made with 70% corn? But that seems a rather unlikely source.

Maybe you can get the truth out of them Joe!

Back label clearly says aged in used bourbon casks so your instincts are correct. The 'curated from Kentucky' phrase, if I read it correctly, is odd. It suggests that something is from Kentucky. Probably the old bourbon casks. This means the distillate can be from anywhere and not Kentucky as I thought upon my first reading of the label. 

Barrel Whiskey is MGP distillate aged in used barrels. Maybe this is a riff on that idea. The MGP 70/25/5 mashbill works in this instance.

Edited by flahute
added thought

15 hours ago, flahute said:

Back label clearly says aged in used bourbon casks so your instincts are correct. The 'curated from Kentucky' phrase, if I read it correctly, is odd. It suggests that something is from Kentucky. Probably the old bourbon casks. This means the distillate can be from anywhere and not Kentucky as I thought upon my first reading of the label. 

Barrel Whiskey is MGP distillate aged in used barrels. Maybe this is a riff on that idea. The MGP 70/25/5 mashbill works in this instance.

MGP has a 75/21/4 and 60/36/4 recipe but don't think they have a recipe with 70% corn so MGP seems unlikely. Still think it might be Tennessee made but aged in Kentucky by Diageo at the "Bulleit Experience" so that they can get away with saying it was "curated in Kentucky" rather than distilled in Kentucky.

But mostly just idle speculation on my part!

7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

MGP has a 75/21/4 and 60/36/4 recipe but don't think they have a recipe with 70% corn so MGP seems unlikely. Still think it might be Tennessee made but aged in Kentucky by Diageo at the "Bulleit Experience" so that they can get away with saying it was "curated in Kentucky" rather than distilled in Kentucky.

But mostly just idle speculation on my part!

Quite right and thanks for the correction! I was thinking of the easily divisible by 5 mashbill of the rye and made too quick of a jump to the bourbon side without verifying. *smacks forehead*

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.