Smooth Ambler halts Barrel Selections for remainder of 2017

The Black Tot
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thank you, JF, for your explanations.  The stores near me (Wash DC) do have the American.  Although my New Year's resolution is: Drink down the bunker, I will make an exception for it but only for research purposes.B)  OTOH, I'm a little disappointed about the wheated but only because I have to wait a few more months.  I guess I'll just have to open the bunkered Contradiction.

On 1/19/2017 at 9:50 AM, Harry in WashDC said:

my New Year's resolution is: Drink down the bunker

or, the trunk...........

On 1/18/2017 at 10:42 PM, The Black Tot said:

. It's not that bourbon finally caught up to scotch - because scotch went up too, and is STILL more expensive like for like than bourbon is.

I wouldn't go that far because there are a numerous scotches that offer way more value than some of these new bourbon releases.  

9 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I wouldn't go that far because there are a numerous scotches that offer way more value than some of these new bourbon releases.  

Well yes, but if you're comparing high priced limited edition bourbons at say $300 you have to compare them to high priced limited edition malts, which often run $750+ any day of the week.

Sure you can find a good value proposition and compare it with a high end limited edition bourbon, but I said like for like.

I have had several stellar SAOS Single Barrels.  One of my favorites was a 9-Year Old 98.6 proof bourbon.  I recall having emailed John at the time to inquire why it had such a low proof.  He indicated they ran across several aged barrels below 100 and they were really good.  He indicated they had been stored in the lower floors of the rickhouse.  It was very complex with multiple flavor profiles noted throughout the pour.  I still have a few of the store select BP bourbons and ryes stashed away.  

While disappointed, I completely understand why they are halting the barrel select program.  I also understand why they have chosen to release their own distillate locally before expanding distribution.  I look forward to it showing up in Indy.

Montgomery County (I think the only ABC county in MD) has a 6 year single barrel listed on their website. Not sure if that's a county pick or just the regular single barrel, but it's certainly the youngest SAOS I've seen. If one of the MD guys happens to stop in and take a look at the bottle and can report back with some details, I'd appreciate the intelligence.

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

Montgomery County (I think the only ABC county in MD) has a 6 year single barrel listed on their website. Not sure if that's a county pick or just the regular single barrel, but it's certainly the youngest SAOS I've seen. If one of the MD guys happens to stop in and take a look at the bottle and can report back with some details, I'd appreciate the intelligence.

The Potomac Store (intersection of Falls Rd. & River Rd.) is relatively close and supposedly has multiple bottles of the 6YR.  But it is $59 per.  If I get up there this week (maybe Wed 25th or Thur 26th), I'll check out the 6YR  even if I don't buy.  I'm more likely to make the trek (although parking sucks) to the Kensington store for an American @ $35.  Whichever, I shall report.

10 hours ago, Charlutz said:

It's a typo. Those are the regular random single barrels. At this point, probably a 10 or 11 year

6 hours ago, OldScoutGuy said:

It's a typo. Those are the regular random single barrels. At this point, probably a 10 or 11 year

He is right.  It's actually an 11 year and low proof (<100).  I enjoyed the bottle I had and bunkered a couple more.  

I've been accumulating some over the years. Have a great 8 year 120 proofer open right now I bought a few years ago. Currently, all I see is the occasional 10 and 11 year old ones, usually just under 100 proof. I've bought several just off of my appreciation of the 7-8 year ones I have  had. hopefully, they get even better with age.

I was wondering the other day......SAOS seems to be the new Willett WFE....decently priced, sourced, excellent barrel proof bourbon/rye that's available with just a little bit of searching. Hopefully it stays that way. The bourbons have gone for $40 when I started buying them 3-ish years ago, to $60-70 now. It'll be interesting to see how the merger/buyout pans out. The current prices are pushing my limits. I bought two 11 year ones last month on sale for $58, and was happy to do so, but the regular $70 is pushing it. But, that's just me.

Edited by Whiskey Dick

22 hours ago, Louisiana said:

Here is the lowest one I've ever found mbroo. It was very good!

IMG_0499.JPG

Wow, 89.4 proof.  That is pretty interesting.  Did you buy it?  If so, have you tried it yet?

8 hours ago, meadeweber said:

He is right.  It's actually an 11 year and low proof (<100).  I enjoyed the bottle I had and bunkered a couple more.  

Oh, good.  Glad I checked SB for updates.  You and Old Scout saved me a side trip.

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Wow, 89.4 proof.  That is pretty interesting.  Did you buy it?  If so, have you tried it yet?

That's a picture from my bunker. I bought several of these & they are very good!

FWIW has anyone found a SAOS lower than that? It's one thing to have a good whiskey proofed down, but another to have one cask strength at that proof. I figure it had a low entry proof & was stored very low in the rickhouse.

Close but no cigar, ya got me by .5%.  It's damn good though!

P1090909.JPG

Just picked up the last 3 bottles of the SAOS single barrel cask strength at Packages & More in Elizabethtown, 11 yrs old, and 92.4% proof.  Have already opened one, and as someone already stated, very very good.

Various stores around me are still getting single barrels, even ones dumped in 2017, just not store picked barrels.  Is SA still going to deliver single barrels in 2017 and just suspend the private store selections?

50 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Various stores around me are still getting single barrels, even ones dumped in 2017, just not store picked barrels.  Is SA still going to deliver single barrels in 2017 and just suspend the private store selections?

Yes, but supposedly at slightly reduced volumes.

Prav Saraff picked one a 43.8%/87.6 proof. Barrel #1259. I believe he's said it was the lowest proof barrel they had ever pulled at the time.

The SAOS SiB appears to be almost universally recommended on straightbourbon. I have seen a bottle on a shelf here in town. I will buy it if it is still there the next time that I am at that liquor store.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On 1/23/2017 at 9:41 PM, Louisiana said:

That's a picture from my bunker. I bought several of these & they are very good!

Do you prefer the lower proof varieties to the 110+ proof varieties of the SiB SAOS?

I've not tasted a really high proof one that I liked, but a lot of people really love those. My sweet spot seems to be 8-9yr, 105-110 proof. My favorite that I've tried is the one called MIRO (Make it rain Owlz), which is an 8yr, 109 proof.

13 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Do you prefer the lower proof varieties to the 110+ proof varieties of the SiB SAOS?

Good Question. I've had some great high proof SAOS single barrels. It really does come down to the barrel though. The low proof cask strength single barrels do offer something unique though. They are usually very easy to drink & full of flavor. SAOS does a really great job of really giving you straight from the barrel whiskey. They basically make sure you don't get wood pieces or other sediment in your bottle. You get the full experience with Smooth Ambler.

Jeff

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.