Cocktail time 2017

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, Tennessee Dave said:

Cocktail time.....Boulevardier

IMG_4728.jpg  IMG_4731.jpg

Nice looking drink! And that little baby bottle of Carpano is just so darn cute! That is the single serving size right? :D

I bought 7 of these little bottles so I could drink it up before it went bad after opening.  Love the Carpano.  Don't know of anything else even close for cocktails.

Got my snout into a few WT101 Old Fashioneds last evening. I make mine with about 4 shakes of Angostura bitters and 2 shakes of Angostura orange bitters. I use about 1/2 tsp of simple syrup and then 3 oz of good 90-107 proof bourbon.I stir with ice and then strain into a glass with ice.  Last night it was the Turkey but I wouldn't turn my nose up at any solid bonded bourbons such as OGD100, JBBIB, EWBIB, JWDantBIB or HMBIB.  May try some Old Ezra 7 year 101 this eve if God is will in' and the creek don't rise. 

I do love a Boulevardier.

Whiskey sour for myself tonight.

IMG_20170123_195818044.jpg

Edited by Midwest101

• 2 weeks later...

It's Old Fashioned Friday here. One real Old Fashioned, 3 ozs. Rittenhouse Rye, 3 dashes of bitters, half a teaspoon sugar, hold the muddled fruit, please. That's the stuff right there.

20170203_162956.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Boulevardier and a Aurora 1495 Robusto on the patio after a long but fruitful week.  OGD 114 was my whiskey of choice, and it is such a great whiskey in cocktails.  It really stands up so well to anything you dump in with it.  Also, shook on a Gary Regan Sized (nod to Col. Cowdery :)) splattering of Angostura bitters.  Awesome!

image.jpg

Old Fashioned on the rooftop bar at my hotel in Ashville.  The OF is good, but the setting is really good.  I like Hilton Garden Inns in general, but this one is the top echelon for the brand.  

image.jpg

oops

this is from a few days ago; never hit submit

Blinker

2e4e3f2c-4380-4f15-bb53-4d7cb3d1044c_zps

got it down to almost 23 degrees

08033715-6bfb-4364-b3b4-25dcefae3af7_zps

mini for wife, regular for me

abef91bb-9d3c-4155-bdcf-d74d90f0630f_zps7e7b7c11-4ed9-46e3-9c4e-d5119d4a27a9_zps

Edited by bigtoys

Last of the Oaxacans
equal parts mezcal, green Chartreuse, Luxardo maraschino cherry liqueur, fresh lime juice and pineapple juice. I made mix of salt and chipotle chili to rim the glass

01d766f6-2a83-48b3-a841-5283a51d7ba3_zps

c4ba11cf-ec0b-4d76-a74d-e5bad33f0de3_zps

No pics, but I made a pretty good maple old fashioned a couple nights ago. Took a maple syrup bottle that had about 3/4 tsp left in it and added 2oz JBDO to it and put it back in the fridge overnight. The next day, poured it into a rocks glass with 3 dashes Fee Bros aromatic bitters and stirred it with a couple ice cubes. No fruit, but it was simple and delicious. Sometimes I find old fashioneds to be too sweet but this was perfect. I will revisit this again when the next maple syrup bottle gets low.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:54 PM, bigtoys said:

Last of the Oaxacans
equal parts mezcal, green Chartreuse, Luxardo maraschino cherry liqueur, fresh lime juice and pineapple juice. I made mix of salt and chipotle chili to rim the glass

01d766f6-2a83-48b3-a841-5283a51d7ba3_zps

c4ba11cf-ec0b-4d76-a74d-e5bad33f0de3_zps

The pineapple is an interesting addition to this Last Word variation. I don't usually see pineapple in the recipe. Do you like it? Have you tried it without the pineapple? I have to admit I am not a big pineapple fan in general despite my fondness for tiki-dom.

I have seen this using a pepper as the garnish in place of a cherry but chipotle salt is an interesting margarita like choice!

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The pineapple is an interesting addition to this Last Word variation. I don't usually see pineapple in the recipe. Do you like it? Have you tried it without the pineapple? I have to admit I am not a big pineapple fan in general despite my fondness for tiki-dom.

I have seen this using a pepper as the garnish in place of a cherry but chipotle salt is an interesting margarita like choice!

I've never had a Last Word, but plan on trying one soon, as I'm a big gin fan.

the Mezcal version with pineapple juice was an interesting smoky cocktail; not a lot of pineapple came through, but a lot of Chartreuse did.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Word Cocktail.  Equal parts: GIN, Maraschino Liqueur; Chartreuse; and Lime Juice.  I think this could be my new snappy lime go to.  Lime Candy.

FullSizeRender 32.jpg

11 hours ago, Steve L said:

Last Word Cocktail.  Equal parts: GIN, Maraschino Liqueur; Chartreuse; and Lime Juice.  I think this could be my new snappy lime go to.  Lime Candy.

The picture makes it look a bit yellow as versus the more typical lime green I think of with the Last Word! Maybe it is just the lighting.

Did you use green or yellow chartreuse? Yellow will certainly make it a lot sweeter than the original! I don't think of the original as sweet so much as herbal in character.

55 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The picture makes it look a bit yellow as versus the more typical lime green I think of with the Last Word! Maybe it is just the lighting.

Did you use green or yellow chartreuse? Yellow will certainly make it a lot sweeter than the original! I don't think of the original as sweet so much as herbal in character.

Hi Bruce, yeah I used the green...probably lighting playing tricks as we have rather low-wattage yellowish lighting in our humble little dining room.  I guess I was comparing the taste to a margarita... I think the combo of the herbal notes in the Chartreuse and that deeper nutty sweetness of the Maraschino combine to give it that Olde World Christmas Candy sort of flavor.  (Think Russel Stover's Satins and Chips, if you've ever seen those.)  I backed off on the lime juice just a tad on the second one (1 oz. for everything else | 3/4 for the lime juice) and I thought it tasted better that way -- less of a straight citrusy hit, more of the herbal notes coming through.

3 hours ago, Steve L said:

Hi Bruce, yeah I used the green...probably lighting playing tricks as we have rather low-wattage yellowish lighting in our humble little dining room.  I guess I was comparing the taste to a margarita... I think the combo of the herbal notes in the Chartreuse and that deeper nutty sweetness of the Maraschino combine to give it that Olde World Christmas Candy sort of flavor.  (Think Russel Stover's Satins and Chips, if you've ever seen those.)  I backed off on the lime juice just a tad on the second one (1 oz. for everything else | 3/4 for the lime juice) and I thought it tasted better that way -- less of a straight citrusy hit, more of the herbal notes coming through.

Sounds good! I once inadvertently put in yellow chartreuse which made it a bit of a sweet mess!

Tried my hand with a Left Hand.  This is a really wonderful confluence of flavors.  Made this with 2 oz. Elijah Craig (12YASOB for those keeping score at home!); 3/4 each of Campari and Dolin Red Vermouth;  and 2 dashes of Fee Brothers Aztec Chocolate Bitters.  Garnished w 2 homemade Maraschino Cherries.  The balance of sweetness, fruit, oaky depth from the bourbon, bitter and citrusy notes from the Campari, and the hint of chocolate and spice from the bitters...  I mean, if the 25 year old me knew about this, I might have been more excited about the idea of becoming the 55 year old me! :huh:

FullSizeRender 33.jpg

12 year age state old bottle?  It's sad that we know these things... but yes, they do matter, and we thank you for playing along.  :D

P. S. Nice looking cocktail!

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:06 PM, Steve L said:

Made this with 2 oz. Elijah Craig (12YASOB for those keeping score at home!);

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, Paddy said:

12 year age state old bottle? 

I am guessing it is 12 year age statement on back!

Yes that's the one. i've never SEEN the big red 12 in the wild, given my Newbness.  I must say tho, that there are times when the AYSOB bottle I have tastes perfect.  It has been one of the more variable bottles to my palate but the highs are the highest.  Sometimes I get more wood than I want, other times it's so sweet and round it knocks me for a loop.  I do think it's perfect for this cocktail...  But we'll see what happens when I try some others!   Great drink -- inspires experimentation.

• 2 weeks later...

The Doctor Cocktail. The recipe on the bottle says 1 oz each.  I went with 1.5 Smith & Cross; 1 Oz Punsch; 1 oz Lime Juice.  I'll do the 1:1:1 next... See if I have enough left in the tank to go for the 2:1:1 Bruce suggested.

FullSizeRender 37.jpg

Edited by Steve L

16 hours ago, Steve L said:

The Doctor Cocktail. The recipe on the bottle says 1 oz each.  I went with 1.5 Smith & Cross; 1 Oz Punsch; 1 oz Lime Juice.  I'll do the 1:1:1 next... See if I have enough left in the tank to go for the 2:1:1 Bruce suggested.

To me it is a simple, flavorful and a bit tiki-esque drink one can make relatively easily once you have the particular ingredients on hand. I find the Appleton rum (I tend to go to the 12yo although the Reserve Blend can work too) also works for the rum portion if you have people that prefer to have the proof dialed back a bit. One drawback is it can be a bit sweet which is why I typically go with more (and unsweetened) rum.

My original source was Ted "Dr. Cocktail" Haigh's cocktail book, Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails, (which was discussed in this amusing blog post from Cocktail Chronicles) and as a result I have never looked back when it comes to other variations that have been reported!

Edited by tanstaafl2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.