Cocktail time 2017

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Diki-Diki Cocktail...  1.5 ounces Calvados (I used Germain Robert); 3/4 Swedish Punsch;  3/4 grapefruit juice.   Very refreshing.  Still working this out and will need a second one to render a coherent judgment.  But it doesn't taste like anything else quite. Which works for me.

FullSizeRender 38.jpg

15 hours ago, Steve L said:

Diki-Diki Cocktail...  1.5 ounces Calvados (I used Germain Robert); 3/4 Swedish Punsch;  3/4 grapefruit juice.   Very refreshing.  Still working this out and will need a second one to render a coherent judgment.  But it doesn't taste like anything else quite. Which works for me.

A nice easy to make prohibiton era cocktail that again seems a bit tiki-esque but isn't really. Never tried the Germain-Robin apple brandy so not sure how it might compare to Calvados. I know they tend to be pricey so you rarely see them used in cocktails at a bar!

But this drink can also lend itself to playing around with variations. That may be because I am not typically a huge fan of grapefruit juice. But in this case (and indeed most all cases calling for grapefruit juice in cocktails) a decent white grapefruit juice is really called for here, not the sweeter Ruby Red or pink grapefruit. Oddly white grapefruit juice is one of the few, at least for me, where you can get away with a bottled unsweetened white grapefruit juice if necessary. Convenient since finding fresh white grapefruits isn't always easy!

Diki Diki Variation
1 1/2 oz Calvados
1/4 oz rum (Hamilton Black works if you have it, otherwise an older Appleton would serve. Something that is not already too sweet on its own)
3/4 oz Kronan Swedish punsch
1/2 oz white grapefruit juice
1/4 oz lemon juice
1/4 oz simple syrup (to taste)

A nice easy to make prohibiton era cocktail that again seems a bit tiki-esque but isn't really. Never tried the Germain-Robin apple brandy so not sure how it might compare to Calvados. I know they tend to be pricey so you rarely see them used in cocktails at a bar!

But this drink can also lend itself to playing around with variations. That may be because I am not typically a huge fan of grapefruit juice. But in this case (and indeed most all cases calling for grapefruit juice in cocktails) a decent white grapefruit juice is really called for here, not the sweeter Ruby Red or pink grapefruit. Oddly white grapefruit juice is one of the few, at least for me, where you can get away with a bottled unsweetened white grapefruit juice if necessary. Convenient since finding fresh white grapefruits isn't always easy!

Yeah, I thought I might be gilding the lily a little bit with the Germain Robin.

I like the adjustments in your easier recipe.

Best drink I had with the grapefruit flood I got going was an Italian Greyhound: Grapefruit juice and Sweet Vermouth (still working on my bottle of Dolin). I was ko'd at how fresh and quaffable that was. Can't wait to make a pitcher of those this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/26/2017 at 7:17 PM, Steve L said:

The Doctor Cocktail. The recipe on the bottle says 1 oz each.  I went with 1.5 Smith & Cross; 1 Oz Punsch; 1 oz Lime Juice.  I'll do the 1:1:1 next... See if I have enough left in the tank to go for the 2:1:1 Bruce suggested.

FullSizeRender 37.jpg

What is Punsch?

10 minutes ago, Tennessee Dave said:

What is Punsch?

It's Swedish poontang.

Just now, Tennessee Dave said:

What is Punsch?

Rum like, made from "arrack" -- and yeah, what Joe said.  Suhweeeet!

Originally Swedish Punsch was a winter holiday punch made using Batavia arrack (in itself an oddity that is a cane based spirit with a light funky smoky character as a result of using local red rice and yeast for fermentation and distilled on small local stills in Indonesia) and rum or brandy that is then sweetened and perhaps spiced with a variety of spices or spiced liqueurs like aquavit.

Kronan is the bottled brand likely most readily available in the US. It is more rum like with the Batavia Arrack (which can also be bought on its own and used to make your own "Swedish Punsch") giving it some "funk". And yes, it is indeed quite sweet on its own!

19 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It's Swedish poontang.

Swedish poontang is a bit more like Danish Fisk. But it can be interesting as well!

It does go well with Swedish Punsch....

Grill's heatin' up for my bone in ribeye, and getting final blessing on my boulevardier...:D

image.jpg

Really digging Bianco Vermouth, with about 1/2 oz of lemon juice, just topped off with 1 to 1.5 oz of soda in a tall glass with ice.  It's not sunny enough outside for this yet, but I figure if I keep going, the sun will show eventually.   ...Have tried it with both Martini Bianco and Dolin.  Excellent results with both, slight edge to the Dolin.

Bianco Spritz?

IMG_3179.JPG

What better way to start the weekend while laying to rest the last of a Baby Saz, than a Sazerac cocktail.

Sadly, I've never been to New Orleans, but hope to remedy that soon.  We'll see if theirs can stand up to mine!  :lol:

image.jpg

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

What better way to start the weekend while laying to rest the last of a Baby Saz, than a Sazerac cocktail.

Sadly, I've never been to New Orleans, but hope to remedy that soon.  We'll see if theirs can stand up to mine!  :lol:

Nice!  Might I ask, what's the baby bottle of Absinthe?   Love the Baby Saz too.  My favorite every day / but every day is special rye....

Pompelmo Cocktail:   

1 oz Pisco
1⁄2 oz Aperol
1 bsp Elderflower liqueur, (St. Germain)
2 oz Grapefruit juice
1 oz Seltzer water
2 ds Grapefruit bitters, (Fee Brothers Grapefruit)
1 twst Orange peel (garnish)

Lighter version of the Paloma.  Very refreshing and easy to drink.

pompelmo.jpg

On April 7, 2017 at 10:21 PM, Steve L said:

Nice!  Might I ask, what's the baby bottle of Absinthe?   Love the Baby Saz too.  My favorite every day / but every day is special rye....

That is Absente.  Packs a lot of flavor, and really worked well with the baby Saz in the Sazerac.   

Stunningly gorgeous day.  Masters on the tube, Braves on the radio, Sunshine all around, and it all calls out for a GnT, with Citadelle gin. 

image.jpg

Round Two:

The Beatriz

1 1/2 oz sotol

1 oz Cocchi Americano

1/4 oz elderflower liqueur

2 dashes orange bitters

Stir. Strain.  Or not.  I made it in the glass and left it on the rocks.

This is my first sotol cocktail.  Bought the bottle last year when I was working with a guy from Mexico who was a huge tequila fan.  He made it clear that he considered sotol a rougher spirit.  

To my palate, there is NOTHING like sotol.  It has the mezcal bandaid quality that I associate most strongly with Islay scotch and adds an aggressive element of terroir.  Earth.  Dirt.  Not unpleasant but absolutely its own thing.  Although clearly related to tequila it defiantly sets its own course.

I have a student heading to NYC from Juarez in the fall and I may ask her to mule me a bottle across the border for further study.

The Beatriz is a winner.  Now to create a Benito to keep her company.

-Mike

IMG_0627.JPG

Edited by scratchline

15 hours ago, scratchline said:

Round Two:

The Beatriz

1 1/2 oz sotol

1 oz Cocchi Americano

2 dashes orange bitters

This is my first sotol cocktail.  Bought the bottle last year when I was working with a guy from Mexico who was a huge tequila fan.  He made it clear that he considered sotol a rougher spirit.  

To my palate, there is NOTHING like sotol.  It has the mezcal bandaid quality that I associate most strongly with Islay scotch and adds an aggressive element of terroir.  Earth.  Dirt.  Not unpleasant but absolutely its own thing.  Although clearly related to tequila it defiantly sets its own course.

I have a student heading to NYC from Juarez in the fall and I may ask her to mule me a bottle across the border for further study.

-Mike

Found some Sotol at the local Binny's.  Might have to give this a try!

22 hours ago, scratchline said:

Round Two:

The Beatriz

1 1/2 oz sotol

1 oz Cocchi Americano

2 dashes orange bitters

-Mike

IMG_0627.JPG

Now there is a spirit you don't see in cocktail threads very often! About the only Sotol regularly available around Atlanta is Hacienda de Chihuahua. It is the state drink of the Mexican state of Chihuahua. Sotol is not agave based and supposedly a single bottle requires one entire plant to make it. Although roasted in a similar way to mezcal and a bit more on the smoky side than tequila I never found the HdC brand to be quite as mezcal like as yours sounds. I always found it to be more earthy and savory. Maybe even a bit briny with just a light to moderate smoky component. 

• 3 weeks later...

Very spicey & sweet and the apple is just enough to give it a great Xmas roast vibe.  A mince pie of a cocktail.

*Bengali Cider*

2 oz Rum, Old Monk
1 oz Apple cider
1⁄2 oz Lemon juice
1⁄4 oz Allspice Dram
1 bsp Cinnamon syrup
1 ds Bitters

FullSizeRender 57.jpg

I highly recommend the cocktail Tanstaafl2 (Bruce, BOTY!) made for me at the General Nelson Saturday afternoon. 

Trying to recall the correct name for it, I came up with Arbitrary Nature of Time, which may be (or may NOT be) close.    No chance I remember the ingredients, and amounts, though; but, I will say it was one of the best specialty cocktails I've ever tasted.    (Thanx, Bruce!)

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I highly recommend the cocktail Tanstaafl2 (Bruce, BOTY!) made for me at the General Nelson Saturday afternoon. 

Trying to recall the correct name for it, I came up with Arbitrary Nature of Time, which may be (or may NOT be) close.    No chance I remember the ingredients, and amounts, though; but, I will say it was one of the best specialty cocktails I've ever tasted.    (Thanx, Bruce!)

Lets have the deets Bruce!

1 hour ago, Steve L said:

Ahh, here we go:  http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/the-arbitrary-nature-of-time

1 1⁄4oz      Rye, Wild Turkey 101

1oz            Campari

3⁄4oz         Cherry Liqueur, Cherry Heering

1ds            Orange bitters, Regans' orange bitters

2ds            Bitters, Bittermens Xocolatl Mole

1twst         Orange peel (as garnish)

Indeed, that is it. A delightful drink, especially considering the full ounce of Campari, which is not always my favorite liqueur. The Xocolatl Mole bitters really comes out in this combination. If you like cocktails and have Angostura, orange and maybe Peychaud's bitters already then the Xocolatl bitters is the next step to consider for a bitters in my opinion. It appeared in three of the ten cocktails at the Sampler bar including the featured cocktail, the "Gazebo"!

Edited by tanstaafl2

Lost Lake

2 oz Jamaican rum
3⁄4 oz Passion fruit syrup
3⁄4 oz Lime juice
1⁄2 oz Pineapple juice
1⁄4 oz Maraschino Liqueur
1⁄4 oz Campari

Shake, rocks, garnish w Cherries and Deluxe Reverb.

FullSizeRender 59.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.