Cocktail time 2017

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 hours ago, Steve L said:

Lost Lake

2 oz Jamaican rum
3⁄4 oz Passion fruit syrup
3⁄4 oz Lime juice
1⁄2 oz Pineapple juice
1⁄4 oz Maraschino Liqueur
1⁄4 oz Campari

Shake, rocks, garnish w Cherries and Deluxe Reverb.

FullSizeRender 59.jpg

Might be a bit tricky for most of us to fit the Deluxe Reverb into the glass...

You might also enjoy the Reverb Crash!

Finally bought a bottle of Kummel.  It's definitely one of the stranger liquors I've ever had.  Reminds me of Indian food. Tried it with Genever and tonic and enjoyed it but then tried this:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/mar/24/cocktail-of-the-week-rue-bourbon-recipe-new-orleans

Rue Bourbon

50 ml (1.7 oz) bourbon  (calls for Woodford, I used Bowman Single Barrel "C")

10 ml (2 tsp) Cocchi Americano

10 ml (2 tsp) Pedro Jimenez sherry (subbed Byrhh)

1 tsp Kummel

3 dashes Angostura bitters (subbed Boker's bitters)

Stir on ice.  Strain over one big cube.  Garnish with lemon and orange peel.

This is a really good cocktail.  Complex but easy drinking and the Kummel still comes through.  I wonder how it would hold up to a barrel proof bourbon?

-Mike

Edited by scratchline

6 minutes ago, scratchline said:

Finally bought a bottle of Kummel.  It's definitely one of the stranger liquors I've ever had.  Reminds me of Indian food. Tried it with Genever and tonic and enjoyed it but then tried this:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/mar/24/cocktail-of-the-week-rue-bourbon-recipe-new-orleans

Rue Bourbon

50 ml (1.7 oz) bourbon  (calls for Woodford, I used Bowman Single Barrel "C")

10 ml (2 tsp) Cocchi Americano

10 ml (2 tsp) Pedro Jimenez sherry (subbed Byrhh)

1 tsp Kummel

3 dashes Angostura bitters (subbed Boker's bitters)

Stir on ice.  Strain over one big cube.  Garnish with lemon and orange peel.

This is a really good cocktail.  Complex but easy drinking and the Kummel still comes through.  I wonder how it would hold up to a barrel proof bourbon?

-Mike

Quite a contrast from PX sherry to Byrrh. Much more bitter edge from the Byrrh. I would think it would change the character of the drink a bit.

At least you know that Kummel will last you a while at a teaspoon a drink!

May be why I liked it so much.  I prefer things on the dry/bitter side.  My wife isn't here so my substitutes are probably not the best.  All I see in the bar is Manzanilla sherry and I didn't want to open a new bottle.  As I recall, the last bottle of PX I had sat in the refrigerator for years.  LOL.

-Mike

17 hours ago, scratchline said:

May be why I liked it so much.  I prefer things on the dry/bitter side.  My wife isn't here so my substitutes are probably not the best.  All I see in the bar is Manzanilla sherry and I didn't want to open a new bottle.  As I recall, the last bottle of PX I had sat in the refrigerator for years.  LOL.

-Mike

Understandable. On the plus side you can find PX sherry in 375 mls pretty easily now and they (as well as Oloroso and Amontillado. But not so much Manzanilla) are getting more common in cocktails.

"Choke Me Like You Love Me" is a particular favorite... :o

Choke Me Like You Love Me
by Rafa García Febles, NYC.

2 oz Rye
1/2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Pedro Ximénez Sherry
1 ds Absinthe

Stir, strain, up or old fashioned with no rock, optional grapefruit or lemon twist, expressed and discarded.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a pretty nice julep tonight with 2oz KCSB (local store pick), 1oz homemade mint simple syrup, about 10 leaves of mint (muddled), and crushed ice. I've been meaning to make a julep with this particular bourbon and it did not disappoint. I know the classic julep bourbon is WR, but I like something with a little more oomph since the crushed/pebbled ice tends to melt quickly

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted something a bit lighter tonight, so I mixed up and old fashioned with 1792 small batch.  Just what the doctor ordered.

I generally poopoo cocktail mixes but a guilty pleasure if mine is Bittermilk's smoked honey sour mix. It's great in and of itself and it also helps move some of my poorer buying decisions. It hit the spot while grilling dogs and burgers today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a "Brazilian Gentleman" last night. Was very good!  Rye (they used Knob Creek), passion fruit, chuncho bitters, tawny port, and honey.

Had a "Brazilian Gentleman" last night. Was very good!  Rye (they used Knob Creek), passion fruit, chuncho bitters, tawny port, and honey.

Tucano's?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

Tucano's?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Fogo De Chao

Whiskey smash:

2 oz sour mash

1/2 oz simple

8 or so fresh mint leaves

1/2 a lemon quartered

muddle mint lemons and simple. Add sour mash. Stir. Cracked ice to the top. Hard to beat in a south carolina summer. 

IMG_2217.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple Old Fashions with Rittenhouse. Been really enjoying these at my watering hole. 

At a friends house for a cookout today Buffalo Trace, Ale 8 & a splash of lemonade.  Don't know what it's called but it was refreshing.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:33 PM, CardsandBourbon said:

At a friends house for a cookout today Buffalo Trace, Ale 8 & a splash of lemonade.  Don't know what it's called but it was refreshing.

Sounds like a variation of a basic Kentucky Mule with lemonade playing the role of lime juice in this variation. Might be a bit sweet for my taste without the fresh squeezed lime juice to balance the ginger ale sweetness but all that matters is if you like it!

Ale 8, not ginger ale.  Ale 8 tastes like . . . well you just have to taste it to know what it tastes like.

10 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Ale 8, not ginger ale.  Ale 8 tastes like . . . well you just have to taste it to know what it tastes like.

Oh, I have had lots of Ale 8 over the years on trips to Kentucky. As I recall Beam typically has it in their little sandwich joint at the distillery. While it is not a typical ginger ale it still has a ginger base and is more like a citrus-y ginger beer with more ginger character than a run of the mill ginger ale, at least to me. And a nice strong ginger beer is my preferred ingredient for a mule cocktail of most any kind.

I tend to prefer a Blenheim pink cap if I am going all out on a mule cocktail and the gold cap if I am trying to keep from blowing out the sinuses! If I can't get Blenheim, which can sometimes be hard to find, I resort to Fever Tree Ginger Beer.  Personally my preferred mule cocktail is a Guadalajara Burro!

I've been working on a single serving version of the classic Jamaican Punch, tweaked the proportions a bit so it's not too sweet:

• 2 oz rum, I've used Barrell Rum Batch 01 and Brugal 1888 both were great, I've also made it with Pikesville Rye which was quite nice too
  • 3 oz pineapple juice
  • 1 oz key lime juice, regular lime juice would probably be fine too
  • 1 oz grenadine
  • 1/2 oz allspice drama aka pimento dram - you can skip this or go 1/4 and it's still good
  • Shake with about 6 ice cubes for 20 seconds, pour with ice into collins glass - the shaking gives it a nice foamy texture 

• 2 weeks later...

It's pretty hot while firing up the grill for strips tonight.

So white rum, fresh lime juice, and simple syrup in the plastic cup is going quite well.

19 minutes ago, BigRich said:

It's pretty hot while firing up the grill for strips tonight.

So white rum, fresh lime juice, and simple syrup in the plastic cup is going quite well.

Ha!  I thought same while firing up grill for bone in rib eyes.  Went with similar, but whiskey sour, instead.  

Cheers!

Ha!  I thought same while firing up grill for bone in rib eyes.  Went with similar, but whiskey sour, instead.  
Cheers!

Yeah, the two Cuban/Hemingway daiquiris and two glasses of Orin Swift Abstract with the strips and I'm feeling pretty damn good tonight. Not like last night but not too damn bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Odd MacIntosh - Jason "Booze Hound" Wilson used to write a spirits column for the Washington Post.  This one is from his column on May 30, 2007.

3/4 oz. Lillet Blanc

3/4 oz. Cointreau

3/4 oz. applejack (Laird's 100 proof in our house)

3/4 oz. fresh lemon juice

orange slice for garnish.

Stir ingredients (except for orange slice) with ice - don't shake or gets gets watery.

Strain into martini glass and add garnish.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.