Cocktail time 2017

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Odd MacIntosh - Jason "Booze Hound" Wilson used to write a spirits column for the Washington Post.  This one is from his column on May 30, 2007.

3/4 oz. Lillet Blanc

3/4 oz. Cointreau

3/4 oz. applejack (Laird's 100 proof in our house)

3/4 oz. fresh lemon juice

orange slice for garnish.

Stir ingredients (except for orange slice) with ice - don't shake or gets gets watery.

Strain into martini glass and add garnish.   

Thanks for the blast from the past. Sounds yummy.

3 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

Thanks for the blast from the past. Sounds yummy.

We had it last night - was looking for recipes that use Lillet Blanc, and this was in our collection.  It went well as a pre-dinner cocktail (grilled salmon steaks) on a really hot day.

Only another 2 inches of Lillet to go before I get a new bottle.;)

:-)

Sometimes I reflect that, as a die-hard bourbon and whisky fan, I often overlook the mixed drinks. And yet as a bourbon drinker nothing goes down easier on a hot day than a good mint julep made with decent bourbon. :)

Edited by BourbonDude

I rocked it this week, and now it's time to unwind with a Sazerac.  Happy Friday!

IMG_3760.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Stone Fence - saw this in the September emailing from the Va ABC.  (Happy National Bourbon Heritage Month, btw).

Bourbon, apple cider, angostura bitters and a lemon slice on the rocks.

• 4 weeks later...

Sazerac tonight while lounging with Mrssmokinjoe out on the back patio.

Old fashioned while out on the front swing enjoying a gorgeous Fall late afternoon.  

IMG_4172.JPG

• 1 month later...

Picked up my Littlesmokinjoe from the airport last night for a long Thanksgiving visit from school.  Spent a great day with her and now getting ready to settle into movie night with her and Mrssmokinjoe, with an Old Crotchety Fashioned.  Dang, I feel pretty good right now.

IMG_4320.JPG

On 5/1/2017 at 10:48 AM, Guest said:

Ahh, here we go:  http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/the-arbitrary-nature-of-time

1 1⁄4oz      Rye, Wild Turkey 101

1oz            Campari

3⁄4oz         Cherry Liqueur, Cherry Heering

1ds            Orange bitters, Regans' orange bitters

2ds            Bitters, Bittermens Xocolatl Mole

1twst         Orange peel (as garnish)

Okay, I've heard about Bruce's mixology mastery and we've all seen photographic evidence of the depth of his ingredients bench and of course he's the current Bourbonian of the Year so he knows his onions on American whiskey but...this cocktail still surprised me with its quality!

I made it with the pictured ingredients to the proportions listed.

IMG_1216.jpg

Thanks fir the idea!  I was looking to do a cocktail while I sit out by the fire.  This one is nice.  Reminds me of a Left Hand, though I like this one better as the Cherry Liqueur agrees with me better than the Sweet Vermouth.  

IMG_4325.JPG

In keeping with Fall cocktails, here are two we've had this week.

DRINK ONE -- The McClelland - Jason "Boozehound" Wilson used to write a cocktail column for the WashPost.  This is from 12SEP2012.

ice

1.75 oz. sloe gin (Plymouth, Blackfriars or similar, NOT an ersatz sloe gin)

3/4 oz. GOOD curacao or similar orange liqueur (Cointreau is OK for this but IMO a little rich; do not use orange vodka)

2 dashes orange bitters (I use Regan's)

Add ingredients to ice in a shaker and shake

Strain into chilled martini glass

DRINK TWO -- Crisp Autumn Serenade - Cooking Light NOV 2014 p. 123  SERVES 8!!!  To make one, divide everything by 8.

1/2 cup maple syrup

1/4 cup diced, peeled fresh ginger

1/4 cup boiling water

1 cup bourbon

1/2 cup pear brandy (like Pear William) OR pear-flavored vodka but NOT ersatz pear liqueur (Thanks, Boss - this is what we used the J. Pear in.  WONderful)

1/2 teaspoon Angostura bitters (and this is NOT too much)

2 cups chilled sparkling cider

apple and pear slices for garnish if desired (we did not and didn't miss them)

STEP 1 - BLEND the first three ingredients to a runny paste and strain then let the result cool awhile (like two minutes)

STEP 2 - Add 3 TBS of the blend to the bourbon, brandy, and bitters in a bowl or pitcher or jar or Boston shaker

STEP 3 - Add ice and stir for 30 seconds or so

STEP 4 - Pour/strain 1/4 cup into each chilled cocktail coupe and top each with 1/4 cup sparkling cider and garnish

NOTE - We ended up with more blended ginger stuff than we needed.

ANOTHER NOTE - This second drink sounds labor intensive; it is not.  It is messy, though, and uses a blender or Cuisinart or similar and some other utensils but I do the dishes so didn't care.

THIRD NOTE - We did divide everything by four to get to "serves 2" and noted NO fall-off in quality and also had a little ginger stuff left over.  While doing dishes, I added it to 2 oz. of bourbon in a double Old Fashioned (AKA rocks) glass (making sort of a fancy highball) and found it delightful even without the sparkling cider.

I made some Bloody Marys for breakfast this morning. I secretly added some Mellow Corn along with some vodka. The wife asked what I did to it? It smells like corn.:blink:

We use a local company's mix and the other things I added were some ground black pepper, some celery bitters, a dash of celery salt and a bit of hot sauce with a celery stalk and an olive for garnish.

I am not all that good at getting creative with cocktails, anything decent to make with Death's Door White? It's celebrating its 5th year on my shelf.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:14 AM, Kane said:

I am not all that good at getting creative with cocktails, anything decent to make with Death's Door White? It's celebrating its 5th year on my shelf.

I hear tell it makes an excellent window cleaner... B)

OK, I jest!

Mostly.

Something with a lot of flavor to help "balance" the whiskey might be called for. Ginger is good at balancing. A standard buck/mule (liquor, lime and ginger beer) with a strong ginger beer for example.  If you have it and want to try something a bit more cocktail-ish try something like this.

2 ounces of white dog
1 ounce of orange liqueur (like Cointreau)
1 ounce of ginger liqueur (like Domaine de Canton)
A dash or three of orange bitters

No guarantees! :o

On 11/27/2017 at 6:14 AM, Kane said:

White Manhattan variation - substitute white whiskey for bourbon or rye and white vermouth or blanc vermouth (slightly different IMPO) for the sweet vermouth.  You may have to play with the bitters as the angostura is overwhelming in this.  Maybe celery or plum bitters would work.  Whatever, I used a LOT of Peychaud's bitters when I made this once.

Back when Jason "Boozehound" Wilson was writing for the WashPost (and I swear I get NO compensation for mentioning him all the time and only met him once at a book signing), he wrote about white whiskey and what he hoped was its passing as a fancy.  The drink he offered up was a Silver Queen Daisy.  My wife decided we had to try it so we, too, have a partly used DDW on our shelf.  Here it is -

Cut a hefty strip of fresh corn kernels off an ear of corn (Silver Queen was big at the time, hence the name I guess; newer hybrids are more prevalent now).  For one drink --

Muddle about a tablespoon of the kernels in a shaker.

Add 2 oz. of whiskey.

Add 0.5 or so oz. of St. Germain Elderflower.

Add 1 oz. fresh lemon juice.

Add some drops of orange bitters.

Add ice.

Shake really well and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Garnish with some leftover kernels.

Decide to keep the recipe in case we decide to use up the white whiskey and can't figure out what else to use it for.

Um, seems to me that someplace in the back of my head I recall a Bloody Mary made with white whiskey which another SBer made really tasty by putting strips of bacon in it along with stalks of celery. 

Edited by Harry in WashDC

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Um, seems to me that someplace in the back of my head I recall a Bloody Mary made with white whiskey which another SBer made really tasty by putting strips of bacon in it along with stalks of celery. 

Thanks! And you might be onto something with the bloody mary. Recently tried one made with sake -- they didn't have a liquor license. It was awesome!

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I hear tell it makes an excellent window cleaner... B)

As a matter of fact, it doesn't :)

Tried to rinse parts of a plastic coffee maker with it, to get the plastic taste off. Fast forward many years, I swear the thing still stinks of whiskey AND plastic.

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 1

On 11/28/2017 at 4:38 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

White Manhattan variation - substitute white whiskey for bourbon or rye and white vermouth or blanc vermouth (slightly different IMPO) for the sweet vermouth.  You may have to play with the bitters as the angostura is overwhelming in this.  Maybe celery or plum bitters would work.  Whatever, I used a LOT of Peychaud's bitters when I made this once.

Back when Jason "Boozehound" Wilson was writing for the WashPost (and I swear I get NO compensation for mentioning him all the time and only met him once at a book signing), he wrote about white whiskey and what he hoped was its passing as a fancy.  The drink he offered up was a Silver Queen Daisy.  My wife decided we had to try it so we, too, have a partly used DDW on our shelf.  Here it is -

Cut a hefty strip of fresh corn kernels off an ear of corn (Silver Queen was big at the time, hence the name I guess; newer hybrids are more prevalent now).  For one drink --

Muddle about a tablespoon of the kernels in a shaker.

Add 2 oz. of whiskey.

Add 0.5 or so oz. of St. Germain Elderflower.

Add 1 oz. fresh lemon juice.

Add some drops of orange bitters.

Add ice.

Shake really well and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Garnish with some leftover kernels.

Decide to keep the recipe in case we decide to use up the white whiskey and can't figure out what else to use it for.

Yikes! I liked Jason Wilson’s book and column but using muddled corn kernels in a cocktail, any cocktail, sounds a bit out there.

17 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yikes! I liked Jason Wilson’s book and column but using muddled corn kernels in a cocktail, any cocktail, sounds a bit out there.

Agreed which is why we only made it once.  The tone of the column was, "Well, if I have to put a cocktail in the column, this will work as well as anything else.  Oh, I hope this white whiskey fad ends soon. Maybe this will help".  And, I think it was smokinjoe near Chicken Georgia who came up with the corn whiskey bloody mary with bacon IIRC.  Certainly better than this silver queen fine mess as just about anything is better with bacon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.