The Pappy Van Winkle Price Gauge

Tastethedram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just now, jvd99 said:

There are probably lots of people who wouldn't waste a drop of VW on their in-laws :)

I'm in this group B)

On 2/3/2017 at 0:54 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Well then, I guess it is a good thing that I have no social life! Cheaper anyway.

I resemble that remark, LOL

Furthermore, the few people I do "socialize" with, know better and wouldn't be too impressed if I pulled out a current bottle of any van winkle expression anyway ;-)

Purely on a $/pour cost I can get ORVW and VWSR12 or things like THH at a few local bars and stores for $12-$15 for about 1.5 oz. pour. One bar was doing $10 pours of ORVW that seemed heavier than 1.5oz.  Also had a bar last year do 1oz pours at "retail".  Whatever they paid for the bottle they divided by 25 and that's what you paid.  They did it for the whole Pappy line but you could only get 2 per person. My wife and I's total bill for 1oz pours of 1-ORVW, 2-VWSR12, 1-PVW15 was around $20.  They were out of 20 and 23 by the time we made it to the bar.

Even at $15 per 1.5oz, that is still cheaper than paying $300 on the secondary market for a bottle that will yield about 16 1.5 oz pours.  I lose out on the "immediate availability" of just walking to my cabinet to get some and I guess on the "social factor" as well but.....

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

Purely on a $/pour cost I can get ORVW and VWSR12 or things like THH at a few local bars and stores for $12-$15 for about 1.5 oz. pour. One bar was doing $10 pours of ORVW that seemed heavier than 1.5oz.  Also had a bar last year do 1oz pours at "retail".  Whatever they paid for the bottle they divided by 25 and that's what you paid.  They did it for the whole Pappy line but you could only get 2 per person. My wife and I's total bill for 1oz pours of 1-ORVW, 2-VWSR12, 1-PVW15 was around $20.  They were out of 20 and 23 by the time we made it to the bar.

Even at $15 per 1.5oz, that is still cheaper than paying $300 on the secondary market for a bottle that will yield about 16 1.5 oz pours.  I lose out on the "immediate availability" of just walking to my cabinet to get some and I guess on the "social factor" as well but.....

Damn, that sounds like the best bar ever!

9 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Damn, that sounds like the best bar ever!

They did it as an "event" with line tickets. I think they only had enough for 100 tickets with 2 tickets per person. They are also a restaurant so I'm sure they did pretty well on food sales that day.

They did it as an "event" with line tickets. I think they only had enough for 100 tickets with 2 tickets per person. They are also a restaurant so I'm sure they did pretty well on food sales that day.

An event like that would earn my loyalty for sure. I am glad that you and your bride got to partake in the festivities.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, FL bourbon said:

$500 10 yr in North Fort Myers, Florida.North Fort Myers, Florida.

I think I saw that when I was down there around new years. I think it will sit there a while. If I recall, they had something else way overpriced, like ETL or something.

3 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

I think I saw that when I was down there around new years. I think it will sit there a while. If I recall, they had something else way overpriced, like ETL or something.

Yes.  $80 ETL and $80 EHT Single Barrel, among others.  $400 for Thomas Handy. I was encouraged to let my friends know.

Edited by FL bourbon

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to a small liquor store owner today. His most recent bottle of PVW 20 sold for $750 and the buyer was from NJ. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.