SAOS Wheated Released

Hop
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

SAOS released their Wheated yesterday at the distillery and continues today - strong response from what I've seen and in talking to Rebecca at the distillery.  I'm heading up tomorrow to pick up some for myself and a few friends/family.  

I've been looking for a reason to go see their facility and it looks like I've found it... :) 

I'm not local either - 4 hour each way trip but I'll make it worth my while, also muling some back for others

8 hours ago, Three quarks said:

Hop,

Did Rebecca indicate if they have much available? I was going to wait and drive down later, but after seeing the pictures in your other post, I am having second thoughts. Thanks!!

It seemed like they do but you can call and reserve what you want (up to 4 bottles) by paying over the phone and then  pick it up later.  I'm doing that as I wouldn't want to risk the trip if there was a chance they wouldn't have it when I arrived.  Good on them for allowing it to be done this way as it's really helpful for the consumer

Made the trip up today and back home now after picking up.  Had the chance to taste a small sample while I was at the distillery and the nose is phenomenal!  I had just tasted a SB 10yr at 119.4 proof before tasting the Wheated but the flavor was still there, some sweetness on the front end but enough bite to keep it interesting.  I'll open a bottle and do a pour in a bit and post back some further notes.

Nice to see the place and meet Val - good people and a nice facility.  Didn't stay around long though due to the trip back and the threat of snow coming in.  

For those that may be pilots the distillery is within 500 yards or so of the airport so you could just fly in...

I'll have to do the tasting notes tomorrow. Went to do the first pour this evening and autopilot kicked in. I looked down and I was pouring Pikesville Rye 6yr 110.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the label is pretty slick.  Did you get specifics on age and mashbill?  And the big question....how much is it?

23 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

Well the label is pretty slick.  Did you get specifics on age and mashbill?  And the big question....how much is it?

The bottle tells you all you need to know.  It is bottled by "Sarah."  :D

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

The bottle tells you all you need to know.  It is bottled by "Sarah."  :D

You beat me to it!! Wonder if she reads this board!?

Val started telling me the mash bill but must have gotten confused with all the calls coming in. She said 80% corn, 20% wheat and 20% malted barley which of course doesn't add up. Based on the small taste I've had this far I'd say 60/30/10 but I'm no scientist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, OldScoutGuy said:

Based upon there Yearling, she probably meant 60/20/20

This is the same thing as the Yearling, just now all grown up, so 60/20/20 seems likely.

34 minutes ago, Three quarks said:

I am very impressed with the operation at SA. They definitely allow you to call, reserve and pick-up. I have dealt with other places where this was a nightmare. But not at SA. I saw many packages lined up, labeled, and ready to go. If you ordered it, it will be there for you. Very well organized, impressive!

I would gladly call, order, and pay..to be picked up later.  Just "later" may be MONTHS! Not sure they would be organized enough for that.  Wish I had a way to pick up from them.  Did we ever determine $ for these bottles?

9 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I would gladly call, order, and pay..to be picked up later.  Just "later" may be MONTHS! Not sure they would be organized enough for that.  

There are enough positive experiences reported here to at least try .  Call 'em up and see!

I understand this will be a Gift Shop only release for now.  Does anyone know plans for a broader release? This year?

Thanks for the insight!  A friend is heading over at the end of February for work.  I will have to keep an eye open closer to that time to see if it is more widely available in WV.  I would go with him if I wasn't traveling the week before.

14 hours ago, Three quarks said:

Gift shop and WV initially, I think. So, if you live near a border . . .

My understanding now is GS and WV only - no wider distribution but I will say this on the drive I had I stopped at 4 LS which is all I could find online from the VA border to Beckley then East on 64 to Lewiston and I feel for Bourbon enthusiasts in WV based on what I saw.  Very limited selections, prices were high based on what I see in NC, SC, TN, VA, and KY and I didn't see a single bottle of SAOS in any of those stores.  The stores are privately owned but can only buy from the WV ABC Warehouse so either the stores I saw were not big on bourbon or there isn't much available to them.  

Oh and the price was $61 out the door per bottle on the Wheated

10 hours ago, Hop said:

. . . Oh and the price was $61 out the door per bottle on the Wheated

Thanks, Hop, for info on availability and offered price.  I'll sit and wait and hope a few bottles of the wheated make it to WashDC.  The two 375s of Yearling I bought awhile back (about nine months apart) were good if obviously young.  Hence, even at about $60, I will buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

I got excited because I got an email from a liquor store that runs an internet sales/web presence stating that they had this in stock...until I saw the price.  $249!!  Should have known.

52 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I got excited because I got an email from a liquor store that runs an internet sales/web presence stating that they had this in stock...until I saw the price.  $249!!  Should have known.

Yep, got the same email, smh, when I saw the price.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Well that's a buzz kill. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.