Whiskey Barons Collection from Campari

meadeweber
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One of the consistent arguments presented on these boards for years has been that a way to improve availability of LEs like PVW, BTAC, 4R, would be to supply in 375ml in order to effectively double the number of bottles in the market for the growing demand.  It seems to me that it would be "fair" to supply at potential higher per ml pricing to offset production cost increases and even the "value" brought to market with additional availability.  I looked st the bottle size of Campari's WBC as just an attept at doing so, while keeping the overrall spend by a consumer at a lower and more agreeable price point.  Perhaps they gauge the market as being less acceptive on taking a chance on a $120 750ml of these, and more apt to buy a smaller sample to try at a lower entry cost of $60.  Interesting dilemma that I present to myself:  Is Smokinjoe more likely to positively consider such a whiskey like the WBC (on e could insert any bourbon here) at $60 for a 375, or at $120 for a 750?  Hmmmm.  I think I might like the smaller bottle option if the whiskey sucks...  [emoji3]  

I'm not the biggest Maker's fan and the 375 is what got me to pull the trigger on the MMCS when it first came out. Now I buy it in full size but the little bottle got me over the hump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:51 PM, The Black Tot said:

I suppose my point is that the price rarely IS right when they do this. I have yet to see the 375ml bourbon or rum release in the last 5 years that didn't cost $50 minimum.

This has been happening in the food world as well over the last decade. Businesses have started to improve their profits by selling smaller packages at the same price as the old, larger ones. I don't see what's to like about "pay the same, get less"

Where do you draw the line? Should we still be cool with it if they want to take it to the next level and release $50 200mL bottles?

I have bought 500mL bottles of cask strength rum in Europe when no other format was available for a release. But this was 25yr cask strength pure single rum for $80, not a youngish bourbon. AND I wish the bottles were 700ml + :)

Well if you see the Stolen Jamaican Overproof  375's for $19.99 (at least where I am) I suggest you pick one up to help incentivize producers to up there game, you have the added bonus that it is really an enjoyable pour.

$20 is a different ball game, and thanks for the tip. Looks like a good value rum. Although I'd still rather it were a $40 750ml for convenience. I'd rather a shelf full of spirits than a shelf full of glass.

I think the whole point is that a lot of these producers think we can't multiply by 2.

12 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

$20 is a different ball game, and thanks for the tip. Looks like a good value rum. Although I'd still rather it were a $40 750ml for convenience. I'd rather a shelf full of spirits than a shelf full of glass.

I think the whole point is that a lot of these producers think we can't multiply by 2.

I kind of feel the opposite, I like trying stuff and if your buying before trying I would rather take a shot at less volume for a lower cost if possible. I also wish most LE's came in 375's so the volume of each release could potentially get spread over more buyers. 

• I like it 1

Well, that's why I started the comment with "others here disagree..." :)

But still, let's say they halved the size of the BTAC (heaven forbid). Do you think they'd halve the retail?

I already know what I'm expecting from most LEs, since most of mine are annual releases and for the others, I get with friends and split a bottle for a taste. When it's time to buy, I want the volume.

I'd buy BTAC in handles if they made 'em!

Again, where do you draw the line? Should Pappy come in airplane bottles because everyone wants it? 20ml vials? Commemorative thimbles? :)

• 1 year later...
On 8/14/2017 at 10:26 AM, The Black Tot said:

Well, that's why I started the comment with "others here disagree..." :)

But still, let's say they halved the size of the BTAC (heaven forbid). Do you think they'd halve the retail?

I already know what I'm expecting from most LEs, since most of mine are annual releases and for the others, I get with friends and split a bottle for a taste. When it's time to buy, I want the volume.

I'd buy BTAC in handles if they made 'em!

Again, where do you draw the line? Should Pappy come in airplane bottles because everyone wants it? 20ml vials? Commemorative thimbles? :)

Honestly? I would buy BTAC at $80 for a 375ml (I paid $130 for a bottle of GTS from a local store and felt great about it). If it meant twice as many people got a shot at it, I think it would be worth it, especially for the releases with lower production. I think the state of Iowa got something like 3 bottles of Eagle Rare 17, and who knows if any of those actually made it to customers. At a certain point the rarity here is just ridiculous, so if more people got a chance to try and enjoy this stuff that would be great.

Obviously I would buy GTS by the gallon if it meant a better price per ml, but that isn't happening ?

Back on topic, I picked up a bottle of Old Rippy. The bottle was real cute, the whiskey wasn't anything special (and I like WT in general). I'm a sucker for these little bottles so I might pick up this new one just for fun though. As @kevinbrink mentioned it's nice to have the smaller bottles. I have cabinets filled with full size bottles that seem to multiply every month, it's hard to keep on top of actually drinking them, so if I can try things in smaller packages that's usually a plus.

Edited by EarthQuake

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.