Arran Amarone -- Where can I go from here?

raymoall
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've always been big on peat...the Ardbegs, Laphroaigs, all things Islay. But I've been looking to branch out a bit and after trying an Arran 10 on a whim, I bought another style from the distillery and really got into the Arran Amarone. I have a couple put away, but soon, I know, they will disappear. 

I need some help figuring out where to go from here in the $75 range. Seems like anything finished in Pedro Ximenez casks is popular, but Are these the sherry-bombs everyone talks about? Would I like them since I like the Amarone finish? 

Recommendations are appreciated! 

Arran has done some nice single barrel releases including sherry and the few I have tried were very good but sadly already way above your price range. But I don't think of Arran as typically being a "sherry bomb".

If you want to try something more like a "sherry bomb" I suppose Aberlour A'bunadh which is probably in that price range or close to it. But it is an NAS fully matured in Oloroso sherry, not PX.

PX tends to add a lot more sweetness than Oloroso sherry finishes. Something fully matured in a fresh PX cask would likely get to be pretty dominated by the PX I should think.

Since you like peat the Bowmore 15 "Darkest" might be worth a try in or around that price range (haven't bought one in a while). But again I believe it is Oloroso not PX sherry finished. Lagavulin Distillers Edition is aged in PX sherry but if you can find it then it will likely be more like $100+ I would guess these days.

A much softer Highland whisky but Glenmorangie Lasanta has both PX and Oloroso finishing for a couple of years at a pretty affordable price as I recall.

Thanks for the reply. I was really surprised I liked the Amarone finish. I've seen some other wine cask finished malts (Arran has a Sauternes that I'm a little hesitant to try based on some reviews), so this is a new area for me beyond the peat.  The Glenmorangie sounds interesting -- I'll see if any are around my area. Thanks again for adding a few to my list. 

Glenmoarangie Nectar D'Or is amazing if you can find it.  But that Arran Amarone is a unique whisky for sure.  The only pink whisky I've ever tasted.  Natural colour, too!

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy the Lasanta and Nectar D'Or as well.  Glenmorangie has a tasting pack of 100ml bottles that includes the Original, the Lasanta, the Nectar D'Or, and the Quinta Ruban for around $50, if I remember correctly.  Good way to try them all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.