How much will you pay for EC12?

Whiskeythink.com
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am still seeing EC12 on the shelf, mostly back age-stated. How much would you pay for a bottle? Does your limit differ for a front-stated versus a back-stated?

5 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

I am still seeing EC12 on the shelf, mostly back age-stated. How much would you pay for a bottle? Does your limit differ for a front-stated versus a back-stated?

It has always been a sub $30 bottle.  Its taste never changed much through all of the label iterations.  So, if you purchase, you are not getting anything but $30 quality.  It is the kind of bourbon that many taste once, and then either keep it in a rotation as a daily drinker or move on to something else. 

EC12 was the fourth bottle of bourbon I bought after getting into tasting a few years back and it blew me away.  I usually dont drink much bourbon in the warmer months so only consumer about 3 to 5 bottles a year. I have tried many other bourbons since EC 12 but still consider it my 2nd favorite behind rare breed but I have only had that one bottle and that was 3 years ago now. The timing of these EC threads is good because Im thinking of picking up a bottle but the price around me is way up around $34 a bottle for NAS ( I payed 25 3 years ago). Im thinking of buying 1.75 for $57 to get a better bang fo buck,  but not sure since my taste may have changed over the 3 years. I also find it hard to believe that the taste and full mouthfeel that EC12 had has remained unchanged despite the NAS.

I wouldn't pay more than what a normal bottle of ECSmB costs... which is around $30.  It's good stuff, but not THAT good.

I've been seeing mostly at small mom/pops, & its around $32-35. I was quite keen on EC12 at one time, & I have a couple bunkered, but keep wondering if I should get more before it's too late. But it's hard justifying it at that price.

MSRP - I don't buy anything obviously marked up by a retailer.  I'm not even sure why anyone would pay a premium as I don't think there's any consensus the age stated version is obviously better or tastes significantly better than the NAS.  Just like no one is paying a premium for age stated ER10 - the NAS stuff is just fine.  

1 minute ago, jvd99 said:

MSRP - I don't buy anything obviously marked up by a retailer.  I'm not even sure why anyone would pay a premium as I don't think there's any consensus the age stated version is obviously better or tastes significantly better than the NAS.  Just like no one is paying a premium for age stated ER10 - the NAS stuff is just fine.  

ER10 is still age stated last I checked. 

Just now, Charlutz said:

ER10 is still age stated last I checked. 

Indeed.  People keep confusing the age statement with the single barrel status.  It lost the latter, though for all intents and purposes it is still single barrel.  And, yes, it's still 10 years old.

ASOB is  a government ploy to get us to turn the bottles around to see the government mandated warning on the back...

What is it? Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm wrong? :D

Edited by JTaylor

I stand corrected - just looked at an ER I have open and does still have the age statement.  But the same argument can be made for any bourbon that used to have an age statement and has gone NAS.  Why would you pay a premium or secondary price if there's a negligible or undetectable difference between the two?  Doesn't make sense to me.  Just sayin...

I passed on a fair amount of age stated this week in East TN and VA because it was $33+ and because I have a fair amount bunkered but mainly because of the price - that's $7 each higher than I paid for what I have and with the 1.75's averaged in it was at least $10 more.

So far I have not paid over $30. I bought one asob yesterday for $28.99. There was more on the shelf, including 1.75 all asob. I have 3 or 4 of the 750s asob in the bunker. I have not purchased a NAS in old or new bottle yet. I'm hoping my first new bottle style purchase is an ECBP A117!

You guys are making me jealous. It's usually $35 here. I don't buy the NAS but I would gladly pay that again if I ever see that big red 12 on the front of the bottle. 

Would anyone actually pay more for the front age stated vs the back?  Aren't they the same exact whiskey a slight packaging change?

i completely understand why someone who likes the 12 year would pay a premium over the NAS version. 

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

Would anyone actually pay more for the front age stated vs the back?  Aren't they the same exact whiskey a slight packaging change?

I'm not saying I'd pay more for the red 12, but there is reason to believe the whiskey is different. By the time the age statement was on the back, HH was using less than desirable barrels just to hold onto the age statement. The supplies weren't as stretched when the red 12 was on front.

5 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I won't necessarily pay more for the big red 12, but that's the only variation I'm bunkering.  I like the prominence of that label  and still find them sporadically in my area for $30 or less.  Grabbed one last night at $27.99 which brings me up to 5 bottles.  I'll continue picking away at these small inventories until they're gone

Edited by Nm0369

8 hours ago, flahute said:

I'm not saying I'd pay more for the red 12, but there is reason to believe the whiskey is different. By the time the age statement was on the back, HH was using less than desirable barrels just to hold onto the age statement. The supplies weren't as stretched when the red 12 was on front.

That makes some sense then. Thanks for the info. 

I'd pay between $40 and $50. It has vanished around here.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Before it went NAS it sold for ~$30 in this area. I keep hoping to find an age stated on back bottle but no luck. I suppose I wouldn't pay more than $35-40 for an age stated version.

EC12 was always so woefully underpriced for such a quality bourbon with the pedigree and attributes it possessed.  What I (or anyone) might pay for one now and what price it is worthy of are two separate things, but I would say it is certainly worthy of a $50 price tag, minimally.  My opinion is completely without regard to secondary market influence or rarity.  It's only based on the whiskey itself.  

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

EC12 was always so woefully underpriced for such a quality bourbon with the pedigree and attributes it possessed.  What I (or anyone) might pay for one now and what price it is worthy of are two separate things, but I would say it is certainly worthy of a $50 price tag, minimally.  My opinion is completely without regard to secondary market influence or rarity.  It's only based on the whiskey itself.  

Compared to other bourbons out there at $50, EC12 is definitely worth it at $50. If you can find it, that is, but I just might not pay that at this time. I do have 2 bottles, and I happy with that.:) Have not yet tried the new bottle/label stuff yet.

I'd still walk past it if it were $10, and instead grab the HH6BIB next to it, for $11. I always thought EC was aged too much.

Once things are d/c'ed, or AS dropped, I only load up on them if I liked them to begin with. I didn't even consider buying any EC12. I did buy 4 KC9's though. Only 4 because I consider KC to be pushing 'too-aged' for me at 9 years, but sometimes I find it enjoyable. Also, only 4, because I think non-AS KC may get to be better once it gets in the 8 year range.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.