Bourbon Availability in Louisiana and Florida

fenderbender4
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I'm in MN and know that it doesn't rate too high on the bourbon allocation list.  I am headed to New Orleans in late March and have some family heading to Florida next week.

Is it worth asking them to maybe peek into a store or two in hopes of finding like Weller 12?  The BTAC is out of the running by now.

I was curious if some of the harder to find ones are any easier in other states, or if I shouldn't really make an attempt.

Don't even try to stop in KY for Weller 12.  I can't find it anywhere, and if I did I would buy it so there wouldn't be any left for you. LOL

Seriously WSR is kind of hard to find.  I've only seen 4 bottles in my hometown the past month and I have yet to see the first bottle of Weller 12 or OWA 107.  Most other things are fairly easy to find.

I don't know how your tastes run, but NoLa is plentiful in baby Saz at $21-25 in every grocery store you see. Also, it's been a year, but the Costco down there had pallets of CEHTSmB at $32. You might find something else. It could take some effort to thoroughly canvass the place. They sell liquor EVERYWHERE. Happy hunting. 

It's fairly easy to find WSR in Florida if you go to the right store, if you're interested in that (ABC is a good bet). To get OWA you need to be in the right place at the right time but it does show up periodically. W12 was available there a few months ago if you were very lucky or had a relationship with a store etc., but I'd say the allocation is long gone by now.

Yeah, kind of figured as much.  Was hoping but to no avail.  Lots of other stuff in NoLa to keep me entertained!

When I was in Florida recently I was surprised by how crappy the bourbon selection was. Firstly, many of the smaller stores are more rum oriented with very little in the way of bourbon selection.  The bigger stores with better selection had so many tourists crammed in the bourbon aisle that even if the store gets something special or hard to find it's long gone five minutes after it off loaded from the truck. I was in a tourist area so maybe my observations aren't accurate statewide but spare your family the agony. 

I haven't seen a Weller of any kind on a shelf in Central Florida in well over a year.  And I have been actively looking, now I don't follow trucks around or anything, so your mileage may vary.

ABC is the only place you can get Weller here in the Tampa area. WSR makes it to the shelf at times, OWA is rarely seen and if it does get here it and W12 never make it to the shelf.

None of the bourbons you have mentioned are available in LA. Their are some really good store picks across the state. That might be the best bourbons to seek out. 

Thanks, I appreciate the info.  Like I said, more of a pipe dream sort of thing.  Bourbon is a huge boon everywhere.  I'm all good on OWA, as I've got some stashed and quite frankly don't like OWSR.  I guess to someone who got into bourbon world in 2015, it's kind of slim pickings.

Thank you though for all the info.  In the case of store selections, I'll be pretty isolated to New Orleans, any specific suggestions in the are for store selections?  I had a restaurant (Icehouse in Minneapolis) that had some KC120 for a restaurant selection and I was really shocked.  I typically don't like the Beam profile, but this one really got me, so I'm very open to good selections.

Try Martins Wine Cellar. They usually have several store picks.

Even if it's  a brand that you don't really care for still give it a shot. These Single Barrels will stun you sometimes!

Good Luck!

On 2/16/2017 at 9:53 PM, Charlutz said:

I don't know how your tastes run, but NoLa is plentiful in baby Saz at $21-25 in every grocery store you see. Also, it's been a year, but the Costco down there had pallets of CEHTSmB at $32. You might find something else. It could take some effort to thoroughly canvass the place. They sell liquor EVERYWHERE. Happy hunting. 

Baby Saz everywhere for <$25?!?!  That's it. I'm moving.

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

Baby Saz everywhere for <$25?!?!  That's it. I'm moving.

Stupid question, but what is Baby Saz........?!

Sazerac Rye 6 Year. The "baby" to the BTAC Sazerac 18. It probably more closely related to THH as that's presumably just a barrel proof version of Baby Saz.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Clueby

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.