St Lucia Distillers 1931 - 5th edition

sailor22
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

St Lucia Distillers 5th edition 1931. 
Give the nose a bit of air time and it reveals honey, toasted nuts, jasmine,a bit of copper and something distinctly vegetal without any one note dominating. Complex and intriguing.
I find the the palate spicy with an understated sweetness progressing into a woody mildly astringent mouthful. An enjoyable ride.
The woody astringency lingers as a bit of coppery spicy character appears in the finish to keep your attention.
A mature confident complex blend of flavors and a well structured tasting experience. 
While not in the same league as barrel proof releases this is some fine damn fine juice that's atypical of the usual overly sweet featureless rum profile so prevalent on the rum isle.

1931-2.jpg

Great notes. I know I've passed on prior batches of this, perhaps next time I'll pick one up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice coating on your glass, Steve. Looks pretty viscous.  If I were reading your notes without knowing this were in the Rum section, I would have pegged this as Woodford Reserve.  The coppery, vegetal, and understated sweetness descriptions are dead ringers for that bourbon to my palate.  

Hey Bruce! Add this one to one of your crates that you bring to the next meet-up!  :lol:

Joe, I almost referenced Woodford in the notes. Both use some percentage of pot still product in the mix and use the coper note to advantage in the flavor set.

Every release is a completely different blend. Every blend is incredibly complex as St. Lucia has bot column and pot stills and uses molasses, cane juice and cane syrup at different times, combine all that with different creative barreling and aging techniuqes and there is a wide range of flavors to mingle. As an example here is the blend of the 4th edition;

1931 – Fourth Edition (Black Label) – 43% alc/vol; 86% proof
Molassas Base – 89%
Column Still – 46% 
6% - 11 year (Bourbon Cask) 
9% - 9 year (Bourbon Cask) 
9% - 7 year (Bourbon Cask) 
9% - 9 year (Bourbon Cask) 
7% - 7 year (Bourbon Cask) 
3% - 9 year (Port Cask) 
3% - 9 year (Port Cask) 
Pot Still/Column Blend – 11%
11% - 10 year John Dore 1/Column 50%/50% (Bourbon Cask)
Pot Still – 32%
13% - 15 year – John Dore 1 (Bourbon Cask)
5% - 9 year – John Dore 2 (Bourbon Cask)
7% - 10 year – Vendome (Bourbon Cask)
7% - 9 year – John Dore 1/Vendome 50%/50% (Bourbon Cask)
Sugar Cane First Press (Rum Agricole) – 11%
11% - 6 year – John Dore Pot (Bourbon Cask)

Maturation: 94% Bourbon; 6% Port Cask
Ages: 13% 15 year; 6% 11 year; 18% 10 year; 36% 9 year; 16% 7 year; 11% 6 year

Edited by sailor22

I don't have the pretty in pink label bottle that Steve described but I do have the previous two, including the black label (the 2014 83rd Anniversary version) broken down in rather awesome detail above!

I suppose I could bring that if it will do... :lol:

By now the 2016 6th bottling (the 85th Anniversary version) which I believe will be an eggnog colored label which is similar in color but slightly different from the very first release, should be out. I was in St Lucia this past November and it was due out soon but it had not yet been released.

• 2 months later...

I haven't heard anything about it since I was in St. Lucia last November. It had not been released at that time. Since I don't think it comes to the US I suppose it could have been released and just not reported here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.