Westland Garryana

El Vino
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ordered one of these today from Astor during their 15% off sale.  Being delivered Tuesday to my office.  Really excited to try this.  Anyone had an opportunity to taste this bottling?  Two more weeks and I will be done with this diet.  The queue is backing up...

Tried it at Whiskyfest in SF last fall and bought a bottle. I remember liking it but don't remember it well enough to describe any tasting notes on it. Oddly I don't think I have yet to open my bottle since then, probably because I had already tried it at Whiskyfest and put it aside to try other things.

I have an unopened private barrel of Westland from Astor.  May need to gather some friends for a SBS and explore them properly.

I tried the Garryana at SF Whiskyfest along with Bruce, and thought it was really nice. The ol' palate was a bit impaired by then, but I remember it being very balanced between the peat, the darker flavors that are presumably imparted by the Garryana oak, and the malty and chocolate notes that are so characteristic of Westland.

Which Westland cask did you pick up from Astor? Not sure how many they have had. I got cask 118 which I believe was aged full-term in Garryana, and which should be a pretty interesting comparison to the Garryana special release.

I have the 118 also.  Interesting, I thought the Garryana bottling was the first release with that barrel treatment.  Away for a week, but will read the information on the Astor bottle when I get home.

I couldn't help but look up the details. It's not longer on the Astor website, but Westland catalogues all their single-cask releases on their website. For cask 118, it looks like it was aged full-term (40 months) in Quercus Garryana. Thew staves were air dried for 36 months, too, which is pretty cool. Their tasting notes include "massive molasses, oak and pear notes on the palate" - sounds intense!

Really cool. Thanks for doing the legwork!  I did not know that information was available on their website. I really can't wait to try these SBS.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you open those two bottles. I'm planning to do a SBS when I finally open them as well - will be interesting to compare notes!

• 1 year later...

FYI - The 2018 Garryana will be released September 8th. There will only be 800 bottles at the distillery and another 800 bottles released nationwide. 

13 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

FYI - The 2018 Garryana will be released September 8th. There will only be 800 bottles at the distillery and another 800 bottles released nationwide. 

Thanks for the heads up. That's many fewer bottles than were released in each of the prior two editions, so it might be tough to get one this time around. According to the Westland website the 2016 release was 2500 bottles and 2017 was 2600.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Someone in NJ bought up all

of the remaining 2017 Garryana. I knew of multiple stores that had it and it was gone in one week. It was a fantastic whiskey. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.