Henry Duyore

hawkeye62
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone heard of Henry Duyore Rye? It is from Ransom distillery in Oregon. 77.8% rye and 22.2% barley, 92.2 proof. They say they can't go higher than 50% rye in their pot stills, so they use "Kentucky white dog" to get the higher rye content. The two are blended 35% Ransom and 65% Kentucky and then age it for 18 months. Available here in Utah for $32. It has a different flavor than any of my other ryes. I can't quite put a name on the taste. I will sample a few more times before I give a review.

Regards, Jim       

21 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

Anyone heard of Henry Duyore Rye? It is from Ransom distillery in Oregon. 77.8% rye and 22.2% barley, 92.2 proof. They say they can't go higher than 50% rye in their pot stills, so they use "Kentucky white dog" to get the higher rye content. The two are blended 35% Ransom and 65% Kentucky and then age it for 18 months. Available here in Utah for $32. It has a different flavor than any of my other ryes. I can't quite put a name on the taste. I will sample a few more times before I give a review.

Regards, Jim       

Not a Kentucky rye white dog. It is MGP 95% rye white dog that makes up 65% of this whiskey. Not many Kentucky rye mashbills much over 51% anyway so hard to increase a 51% rye white dog up to 77%! But easy to reduce a 95% rye down to 77% by adding your own low rye mashbill to the mix.

At 18 months old (and no idea what size barrels were used but I would guess less than a full size 53 gallon barrel) I don't feel the need to rush to the store for a bottle. Not that I would turn down a taste if offered!

Just a follow up. I sampled the Henry with Beam. The high barley content of the Henry overpowers the rye. About the only rye character is the pepper finish. The corn in the Beam seems to "play nice" with the rye. The Beam has very little pepper compared to the Henry.

Yeah, not Kentucky rye, very likely MGP.

I won't repeat the Henry.

Regards, Jim

10 minutes ago, hawkeye62 said:

Just a follow up. I sampled the Henry with Beam. The high barley content of the Henry overpowers the rye. About the only rye character is the pepper finish. The corn in the Beam seems to "play nice" with the rye. The Beam has very little pepper compared to the Henry.

Yeah, not Kentucky rye, very likely MGP.

I won't repeat the Henry.

Regards, Jim

Thanks for the tasting notes. I think I'll steer clear of this one for now even though I tend to enjoy malty American whiskeys (in the form of single malts).

I was wondering why their still wouldn't be able to accommodate a >50% rye mash, but this tech sheet from the distillery seems to answer that. Sounds like the mash got too gooey for them to handle. I think rye (and oats) are notoriously difficult to handle, but other distilleries seem to manage somehow.

That link explains why I thought the White Dog was from Kentucky. Ransom cleverly says the white dog is from Lawrenceburg, which I assumed was Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.

Regards, Jim

Northwesterner here. Avoid all craft products from this region outside Woodinville, Westland, and McCarthy's Single Malt.

11 hours ago, flahute said:

Northwesterner here. Avoid all craft products from this region outside Woodinville, Westland, and McCarthy's Single Malt.

How about Fremont Mischief? They have an 8 yr that looks interesting. I was thinking about their Dark Northern Reserve, but my experience with the Henry leads me to believe the 20% barley malt will overpower the rye. Also, Skip Rock Distillery in Snohomish has some interesting rye.

Regards, Jim 

Edited by hawkeye62

2 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

How about Fremont Mischief? They have an 8 yr that looks interesting. I was thinking about their Dark Northern Reserve, but my experience with the Henry leads me to believe the 20% barley malt will overpower the rye. Also, Skip Rock Distillery in Snohomish has some interesting rye.

Regards, Jim 

The 8yr old product is Canadian. Their self distilled product is all very young. I haven't tried Skip Rock yet as it also is very young. Distilling hasn't been legal here long enough for products to have a lot of age. Woodinville was one of the first to really ramp up and they now have 5yr old bourbon and rye that is aged in full size barrels. It's good, but still doesn't compete with Kentucky whiskey at lower price points and more age. The Woodinville product needs 2 more years in the barrel in my opinion.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:01 AM, flahute said:

I always thought the Westward Malt from House Spirits in Portland was pretty decent although obscenely expensive. No idea how old it is but I think they make it.

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I always thought the Westward Malt from House Spirits in Portland was pretty decent although obscenely expensive. No idea how old it is but I think they make it.

So a guy in Atlanta managed to find one in my back yard I'm not familiar with! We do have a lot of distilleries out here. I think we have more than Kentucky at this point - it's hard to keep up. You're right that it's pricey - $45 for a 375. They claim it's aged for "at least two years". Similar to some of Westland's product. For whatever reason, malt whiskey aged in new charred oak in our environment seems to work at a young age. Bourbons and ryes don't however.

58 minutes ago, flahute said:

So a guy in Atlanta managed to find one in my back yard I'm not familiar with! We do have a lot of distilleries out here. I think we have more than Kentucky at this point - it's hard to keep up. You're right that it's pricey - $45 for a 375. They claim it's aged for "at least two years". Similar to some of Westland's product. For whatever reason, malt whiskey aged in new charred oak in our environment seems to work at a young age. Bourbons and ryes don't however.

Shall I try again? :D

You might know this one! Devil's Bit, a limited release every St. Patrick's Day, has had some interesting and sometimes even pretty good whiskey over the years. Made by McMenamin's, usually at the Edgefield Distillery in Troutdale, OR. This year they are apparently doing two different releases, one at 4 years and one at 8 years because they now have a second distillery. I have made the effort to get some in past years but not sure I am going to bother this year. 

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Shall I try again? :D

You might know this one! Devil's Bit, a limited release every St. Patrick's Day, has had some interesting and sometimes even pretty good whiskey over the years. Made by McMenamin's, usually at the Edgefield Distillery in Troutdale, OR. This year they are apparently doing two different releases, one at 4 years and one at 8 years because they now have a second distillery. I have made the effort to get some in past years but not sure I am going to bother this year. 

Ha! I am familiar with those but they are so limited generally and therefore are not that available.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.