25-year Van Winkle Released in April

joboyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

And yet, considering regular annual releases of PVW23 go for about that on secondary, BT is almost certainly leaving quite a bit of money on the table at that MSRP.  They could probably approach the OFC auction prices and move them no problem.  

it's a stunning display, though.  Hope the bourbon matches the look for the sake of the people who buy it (and actually try it, though that number may be zero).

Wowza, only 710 bottles at 100 proof from 11 barrels? That is one hell of an angels share.

I bet it tastes like a tincture of oak barrel.

That's a lot of packaging.  They could have put that in a regular bottle with a paper label and sold it at the same MSRP. 

I also don't see any security measure on the seal.  If it's only shrink wrap, someone would have to be crazy to buy that bottle from a non-retailer, on the secondary, from a flipper etc.  I bet an empty of this could fetch hundreds online if it's easily counterfeited.  For all the effort put into the display and the catastrophic price, you'd think they'd offer some security measures. Maybe it's just not visible in the promotional product photos, though.  We shall see.

The barrels were distilled in the spring and fall of 1989

So this is Stitzel Weller right?  Interesting that they don't say so.

2 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

I think the the bottle says "From Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery" right above "100 Proof" toward the bottom

That's just a dba, though.  The ORVW "Distillery" doesn't actually distill anything (and to my knowledge never has).

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I will generously say this is a $200 bourbon with a $1000 bottle and $600 box.

^^^ I believe Kevin has astutely analyzed this release. 

I would LOVE to have a bottle or two; but this offering is waaaaay out of my price range for a bottle of Bourbon.

Hell, for a 6-bottle case of Bourbon it's still way out of my league. 

I'm sure, given it's limited nature, and the brand name, not to mention the wonderful presentation, it will sell out almost instantly.

I bet this will sell out. Crazy price, but people already drop that much for some bottles of Pappy. At 25 years, I bet it tastes really stout. The box looks sharp, but this one bottle likely costs about what I would spend for about six years worth of bourbon. I can survive without the fancy box.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

^^^ I believe Kevin has astutely analyzed this release. 

I would LOVE to have a bottle or two; but this offering is waaaaay out of my price range for a bottle of Bourbon.

Hell, for a 6-bottle case of Bourbon it's still way out of my league. 

I'm sure, given it's limited nature, and the brand name, not to mention the wonderful presentation, it will sell out almost instantly.

Truthfully I may have undervalued the box I had not noticed the cover was made of the staves from the barrels that held the bourbon and that the plaque was made of actual Metal, I'm not sure if it means the bottle or the whiskey should have been valued less, but I want to apologize the the SB community for the oversight.

1 hour ago, meadeweber said:

The barrels were distilled in the spring and fall of 1989

So this is Stitzel Weller right?  Interesting that they don't say so.

Don't think they can advertise it that way since Diageo owns that facility and name now. Especially after BT went on the warpath when Diageo used "Geo. T. Stagg distillery" in the marketing of Lost Prophet. Shoe is on the other foot now and so it's referred to as the "Van Winkle Family distillery in Shively" rather than Stitzel-Weller. 

^^^^ Men's Journal found out about this before SB.com?!?!?!

Come on guys, you're slippin on your pimpin!

1 hour ago, garbanzobean said:

I'm not really interested in the bourbon.  Let's talk more about the packaging.

So right! That is some classy bottle and box!

3 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

I'm not really interested in the bourbon.  Let's talk more about the packaging.

There is a good chance the packaging (ie the staves from the barrels which contained the whiskey) taste better than the whiskey itself ... since all the wood is already in the whiskey

Yeah i thought that " Van Winkle family distillery in Shively, Ky." was an interesting way around saying the name Stitzel-Weller.

With the two years it had 'in the tank', I wonder if any part of the 'plaque' is from the actual vessel the nectar slept in? :lol:

7 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I'm not sure why, but I really like that they are calling it ORVW25 and not Pappy. 

I had the exact same thought - for no particular reason, liked that they used Old Rip.  For my palate, 25 yrs is almost certainly too old.  But I'll have to experience it vicariously through whomever else buys one.  It is a very nice presentation (I like this a lot more than the JEF that HH sold).  

I'll admit I'd consider it if I could find a bottle at retail (unlikely).  But only if I read some reviews that said it was actually drinkable.  And even then I'd have to think long and hard.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.