25-year Van Winkle Released in April

joboyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, musekatcher said:

So how long before kickbacks produce 1st call, predictable "lottery" wins, etc?  Once you hit five figure street prices on non-essential items, its likely. 

Don't know about kickbacks, but being a good customer hasn't helped me. I have a stack of receipts about two inches thick from one store over the years. I've been to two lotteries there and have zero bottles to show for it.

Joe

On 6/26/2017 at 0:07 AM, 0895 said:

Actually, I was talking to one of the store employees about this bottle recently.

Apparently the person who bought it for $10K ended up getting a PVW 15 year with it.  I don't know if he had to pay for that separately, or if it was thrown in on the deal, but he made some kind of request or demand and got both bottles.  He claimed to be purchasing the ORVW25 for his retirement, and is apparently quite wealthy.

What's interesting about this whole thing is that this used to be a store who sold things @ very close to normal retail prices. 

In the past few months, a new spirits manager has taken over and the prices have started creeping upward with each new shipment.

Almost everything whiskey now is $5.00-$25.00 higher than most other stores in town.  The new direction of the store seems to be more about making money....which I suppose is the number one goal of a business.

They also used to have a wonderful whiskey tasting bar with probably over 100 bottles you could try by the pour.

Recently they eliminated almost all the whiskey and turned it into a wine flight bar, shortly after the owner returned from a vacation to CA - hmmm......

Still a good store, but things are definitely changing.

The fact that they HAD a PVW15 to sell or give him also leads me to have some misgivings about this store. I've noticed the pricing creeping up as well and also saw the bar changes. You could get some very good pours for very good prices. I think I paid $12 for a healthy 1.5oz+ pour of THH. They hold back almost everything even remotely limited to be sold thru their release parties that they make you buy a ticket to. I guess this needs to go in the "boom is not over" thread. 

• 2 months later...

Here you go guys. How much do you think it will go for being auctioned off for the Rebuild Texas fund?

20170920_114358.jpg

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

I think it will go for $6000 to $8000. JJ Watt already took everybody's money :lol:

The current bid is $4600 but there's still about 8 days left.

1 hour ago, Bourbinvestor said:

The current bid is $4600 but there's still about 8 days left.

Normal situation I agree with the 6-8 range, but being for this cause I would say 10-12k if they can reach a lot of people with their marketing campaign. Keep us posted.

1 hour ago, Gorzo said:

Normal situation I agree with the 6-8 range, but being for this cause I would say 10-12k if they can reach a lot of people with their marketing campaign. Keep us posted.

Will do!

20 hours ago, Bourbinvestor said:

Bidding up to $4800

20170920_114358.jpg

Big jump since yesterday. Bidding up to $8000!

On 9/20/2017 at 5:28 PM, Bourbinvestor said:

Here you go guys. How much do you think it will go for being auctioned off for the Rebuild Texas fund?

20170920_114358.jpg

Bidding up to $8500 with 5 days left.

Bidding up to $9,500 with 2 days left. (if anyone is still curious about how much this will end up selling for).

I've yet to buy a bottle on the secondary market but every bottle I've seen on there has sold for $10k. Probably about a half dozen bottles since it was released. This was a charity auction? Different motives. 

3 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I've yet to buy a bottle on the secondary market but every bottle I've seen on there has sold for $10k. Probably about a half dozen bottles since it was released. This was a charity auction? Different motives. 

Yes it was a charity auction by the liquor store. 

On 9/22/2017 at 8:00 PM, Richnimrod said:

My bid musta been lost in the mail..... I was hoping I'd win @ $66.50.    Oh, wellllllll....

You wouldn't have won.  My bid was $73.28.  So don't sweat it.:D

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

You wouldn't have won.  My bid was $73.28.  So don't sweat it.:D

I shoulda known!!!    Ah, well; good to have been considered... or was I?????

• 4 weeks later...

Ha ha, this stuff was featured on CNBC’s “Secret Lives of the Super Rich.”  Hilariously, they called it “Pappy” Old Rip Van Winkle most likely because not many people would recognize the name sans Pappiez.  Not surprisingly, some guy from     Westin Hotels in NYC Said it was the best bourbon on the planet and was charging $315 per ounce.  At the end, he actually called it Pappiez!! I almost lost it!  

• I like it 2

On 2/21/2017 at 2:54 PM, Old Dusty said:

Don't think they can advertise it that way since Diageo owns that facility and name now. Especially after BT went on the warpath when Diageo used "Geo. T. Stagg distillery" in the marketing of Lost Prophet. Shoe is on the other foot now and so it's referred to as the "Van Winkle Family distillery in Shively" rather than Stitzel-Weller. 

Boom!  That's why Distillers respect one another, but the Marketing teams despise one another...love it!  BTW, this bottle tastes like horse piss.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.