Looking for a nice Decanter

Cundiff5535
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Whats up peeps...  Apologies if this is not the correct sub forum for this, but I was not sure where to ask this.  I am currently looking for a decanter to start an infinity bottle...  I do not want to use a "Bottle", so I thought a decanter would be a good way to go.

I am not 100% sure I want to drop the cash on a Waterford decanter... and I am not 100% sure what the right size/shape should be...  Who knows, I guess that a personal preference.

Just looking for some thoughts on nice quality bourbon decanters to start my project... thoughts/advise?

I'd pick up a IW Harper 15.  You get the bourbon, which is solid but not great and then a perfect decanter with the empty.  Just remove the label and you're in business. 

I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but hey... I'm practical like that!  ;)

• I like it 1

Like Paddy, I fall on the practical end. I cringe at buying an empty decanter. My wife has bought some for relatives from Things Remembered. I told her that I know my initials and for her to buy me bourbon instead of a decanter.

The IW Harper 15 bottle is gorgeous, but I found the bourbon to taste very pedestrian.

I actually think the Elijah Craig bottles ( before the newest incarnation) make great decanters. I also like to use empty Four Roses Single Barrel bottles for decanters.

I bought a bottle of John J Bowman Single Barrel today and I will absolutely use that empty for a decanter. My buddy works through a bottle of J.R. Ewing bourbon and that bottle absolutely looks to be decanter worthy.

Cundiff, you are a man with an absolutely stunning collection of bourbon. An empty bottle of Wild Turkey Master's Keep (or even Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit) would make for great decanters.

As far as fancy decanters, I have thought about getting one off of Heritage Pewter for quite some time. They have several that get my juices flowing.

http://www.pewter.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=237_300

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Edited by OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel

6 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I'd pick up a IW Harper 15.  You get the bourbon, which is solid but not great and then a perfect decanter with the empty.  Just remove the label and you're in business. 

I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but hey... I'm practical like that!  ;)

Lol... before I even got to your last line, I was thinking "thats not the answer I am looking for".  I have considered it though

9 minutes ago, Cundiff5535 said:

Lol... before I even got to your last line, I was thinking "thats not the answer I am looking for".  I have considered it though

I'm only about six finger in...I get even more dangerous when...:blink:

Cut glass, yes.  Lead crystal, No.  Price alone should be the determinative factor.  My decanter limit? $80.  Someplace on SB, there's a thread where we went tong and fork at each other over whether alcohol helps leech (leach?) lead from the glass, leaving aside whether the relative damage done to us by drinking alcohol does more damage than any leached (leeched?) lead would do.  This fractious analysis also ignored the fact that some of us are old enough that our basement stairs will get us before some slow-acting poison like lead will.  ANYWAY --

In this connection (and being retired), I have spent HOURS and even TENS of HOURS browsing for decanters online.  FWIW, some of those companies that sell "corporate gifts" with brand names on them produce some really nice looking decanter/glass sets.  Problem is - you have to buy fifty sets.  Hence, when we travel someplace, I do some internet searches for second hand/antique stores that specialize in (or at least claim to) cocktail equipment.  Found some over the years that, after I disposed of the glasses, work just fine.

Finally, DO NOT discount old bottle use.  Woodford Reserve works well - the rectangle bottom fits in some really tight spaces on a Butler's Cart.  Just saying.

I am probably about 8 fingers in (all 100 proof), so my advice is probably best ignored at this point.

3 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Paddy!! How do you get six fingers in the neck of a IWH 15 bottle?  I can't get more than three in there.:unsure:

Paddy!! How do you get six fingers in the neck of a IWH 15 bottle?  I can't get more than three in there.:unsure:

LOL. Skinny fingers.

33 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I agree with this and have a bottle of the same for the exact stated purpose. Problem is, I'm not drinking the IW15 fast enough.

9 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Where there's a will, Harry...where there's a will.  :D

P. S.  Lexington bourbon is meh, sourced, NDP bourbon.  But, the empty bottle sure does make for a great decanter.  I was gifted a bottle a few years ago, and it sure has been a great conversation topic ever since! 

Jack Daniels Single Barrel bottles are very nice. They have a real elegant  "decanter " look. I almost hated to throw mine away after I drained it.

Only about 4,000 or so out on e-bay. Personally I would re-use an old bottle or buy me a really nice pre prohibition one. The early Old Fitz diamond ones are quite attractive as well, or even some of the old Kentucky taverns are pretty nice. Not sure why you wouldn't consider re-using an old bottle like I.W. harper, it's a fine decanter, or even a RHF. I posted a pic of a bunch of them that I had collected awhile back, I think under "my decanter collection."

Some great deals can be found . . . Macy's has nice stuff and does clearance and discounts on some higher end lines.  HomeGoods often has some nice decanters for cheap.  Cheers!

49 minutes ago, Swoboda said:

Some great deals can be found . . . Macy's has nice stuff and does clearance and discounts on some higher end lines.  HomeGoods often has some nice decanters for cheap.  Cheers!

I nabbed one from eBay... I found one I liked for $20 bucks.  Is it a Waterford? No... aI just couldn't justify $350 for something to use as an infinity bottle.

thanks all for the help!

Edited by Cundiff5535

Kj, that is a beautiful decanter and glasses set! I love the flowing lines of it -- looks like it was carved out of ice!

Makes mine look kinda boring, but I got this as a Christmas gift a year ago.

Dean

tino-decanter.jpg

Edited by Queball
Spelling

• 10 months later...

Thread Bump so old, related info gets a second chance.  Today, I spent about ten minutes scraping the paint off a Rock Hill Farms bottle as I like the squat, squarish shape.  Three sides have paint, one side has a plastic stick-on label.  The neckband is glued paper.

A basic razor blade worked fine to scrape off the paint and to peel the plastic.  A little Goo Gone cleaned up the plastic stickum residue.  Soaking the neck in warm water for about ten minutes allowed rubbing the paper and its glue off with a paper towel.

In sum, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be, and I now have a nice decanter for something.

• I like it 1

Thread Bump so old, related info gets a second chance.  Today, I spent about ten minutes scraping the paint off a Rock Hill Farms bottle as I like the squat, squarish shape.  Three sides have paint, one side has a plastic stick-on label.  The neckband is glued paper.

A basic razor blade worked fine to scrape off the paint and to peel the plastic.  A little Goo Gone cleaned up the plastic stickum residue.  Soaking the neck in warm water for about ten minutes allowed rubbing the paper and its glue off with a paper towel.

In sum, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be, and I now have a nice decanter for something.

I might have to give this a try the next time I empty a RHF bottle!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Thanks for posting this.  I never even thought to try and clean up RHF, it looks so elaborate.  But it's good to know it's not THAT difficult, and I agree, that bottle does make a great decanter.  (On the flipside, Blantons may be the easiest ever to "decantify"- those labels peel off with a little water in a matter of seconds.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.