Bottled In Bond, 100 proof goodness

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My appreciation for BIB's is second only to my fondness for wheaters. I pretty much like 'em all, although I have to admit that I do have my favorites. ;) Along with proof and taste, BIB's are usually easier to come by, and they're also a bit easier on the wallet too. Just a couple more things that make them somewhat appealing. At least to me anyway. 

I have a number of BIB's open right now, and I plan on doing a little taste comparison sometime in the (hopefully) near future. I'll be sure and post my tasting notes here when I do. For now though, what are y'alls thoughts on BIB's? :)

Cheers! Joe

I love Bottled in Bond bourbons. 3 of my favorite bourbons are Bottled in Bond bourbons: Old Fitzgerald BIB, HH BIB, and Henry McKenna 10 year BIB. I also think that all 3 are a bargain.

If an affordable bourbon has a BIB available, I will buy that over a non BIB every time.

I also love the history of BIB and how if was enacted to protect bourbon / whisky consumers against reconstituted bourbon. I also love knowing that the bourbon is from the same distillery in the same season.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Edited by OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel

I couldn't agree more with you, Joe. I'm an unabashed fan of BIB's and have been for some time. They're a great way to get acquainted with the distillery's house style in addition to the merits you mentioned above. The HH bonds have been pleasantly surprising to me. While one might think they're all the same, HH has done a great job of maintaining distinct flavor profiles for them. They definitely share the same genes, but they're not exactly alike. It's fun to compare the different brands.

Good bourbon at a great value!  My favorites are OGD, Old Fitz, HH6, VOB, Ritt rye and JB. 

I'm probably leaving something out, but that's my go to lineup (and there ain't a runt in the litter;)).

I agree whole heartedly. BIB's are quickly becoming a favorite item on my bourbon shopping trips.  Some of them represent a small challenge to find and with the near impossibility to find of many bourbons I am able to get my "high" when I find them. I must say, though, that many store employees seem totally perplexed when I get so excited by finding something like a VOB BIB with an age statement while thumbing my nose at some overpriced collectible. 

All of the BIB's I currently have are HH products: Henry Mckenna, EW BIB, and Ritt. All are definitely punching above their price point IMO.

the proof and usually the price are just right for BIB's. I keep HH gold and HH 6 year around for basic everyday bourbon's, and did rather enjoy a JBBIB a few weeks ago when taking it to a party. The $3 off coupon on the neck helped too. The 6 year HH can pretty easily be found around here for $9.50-12, and I doubt anyone on here can argue for a better taste/value bourbon than that.

Noob question here. Correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption but if BIBs are higher proof (always 100) and higher quality why are they so cheap?

22 minutes ago, HopVol said:

Noob question here. Correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption but if BIBs are higher proof (always 100) and higher quality why are they so cheap?

SHHHHHH!   That is a question nobody wants the distilleries to see asked!    Just accept that they (mostly) are great bargains.    As my dear departed Daddy always used to say; "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!"

Back to the point of the thread...

OGD BIB, HmcK BIB, HH 6-yr. BIB, JWDant BIB, even JTSBrown BIB, VOB BIB.... I could go on... and on; but I won't.    The one I will mention as not being a fave, nor any sort of bargain (at least around here) is Jim Beam BIB.

BIBs are easy to like while avoiding overindulgence.  From experience, I know where to stop pouring in order to get 1.5 oz. and 2 oz. in my glass - no measuring required.  BPs vary in proof even within brands unless I buy multiple bottles of a particular release which I usually do not do (well, no more than two at a time), and then I have to experiment a bit with each pour to get the right amount of water (I rarely drink BPs at full proof after that first sip) to open it up for that session.  Lower proofs used to satisfy, but for years now I've found them not quite as interesting except in cocktails.  Basic BT is the only under-BIB I drink regularly.

I keep a measuring "shot" glass that holds 4oz on my bar so I can easily dilute a BP down to 100 proof-ish (math to 100 proof is easy in the head, though probably not an exact pour most of the time, so I do also keep syringes of varying sizes in case I do want to be exact).  This is my way of enjoying a house profile, and usually with a more mature bourbon than a BIB to boot.  

1 hour ago, HopVol said:

It's not that they're necessarily higher quality but they do have minimum standards to meet. By definition they are 100 proof and at least 4 years. I think most of the bottom shelf BIBs are likely right at 4 years (except HH6 obviously) so the big distillers lower proof offerings probably have more age on them if they're priced as premiums. But the small distilleries regularly release more expensive stuff that has significantly less age on it (Baby bourbon comes to mind). 

Since we are on the topic, this may be a good time to ask something that's puzzled me.  For BiB designation, the whiskey must be at least 4 years old, but can br asl old as the producer desires.  However, it must be exactly 100 proof and no more.  Does anyone have any ideas or speculation why a higher proof bottling that met all other requirements could not be called BiB?  

Have access to a couple bottles of Old Fitz BIB but have not pulled the trigger -- read a review or two here on SB that suggested it was very similar to Larceny but not quite as good...???   But my curiosity is piqued by this thread.  Thinking it might be worth going and grabbing some, just to satisfy my curiosity.  ...And add another BIB to the collection.

Love me some JTS Brown BIB, just wish I could find it around here! I can find the regular but not the BIB, it's been over a year since I had one, and the last one I got was muled back from the motherland.

Agreed! Three of my favorites are EW BIB, OGD BIB, and Henry Mckenna BIB (thought that's a different animal since it's also a single barrel aged for 10 years). I have at least two of these open at all times. I think that 100 proof is the "sweet spot" for bourbon.

Edited by BDanner

2 hours ago, bourbon-n00b said:

Since we are on the topic, this may be a good time to ask something that's puzzled me.  For BiB designation, the whiskey must be at least 4 years old, but can br asl old as the producer desires.  However, it must be exactly 100 proof and no more.  Does anyone have any ideas or speculation why a higher proof bottling that met all other requirements could not be called BiB?  

Basically because the law states it must be 100 proof.  

Just now, VAGentleman said:

Basically because the law states it must be 100 proof.  

Yes, I understand that.  But why does the law allow for flexibility on age but none on proof?

For all intents and purposes, aren't any single barrel 100 proofers with 4+ years on them essentially bonded (though I realize not technically because of government regulation)?  Just thinking RHF and FRSiB off the top of my head...

10 minutes ago, dcbt said:

For all intents and purposes, aren't any single barrel 100 proofers with 4+ years on them essentially bonded (though I realize not technically because of government regulation)?  Just thinking RHF and FRSiB off the top of my head...

Technically it has to be aged those 4 years in a government licensed warehouse.

2 minutes ago, BDanner said:

Right, that's why I said 'for all intents and purposes' as well as 'though I realize not technically because of government regulation'.  

9 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Right, that's why I said 'for all intents and purposes' as well as 'though I realize not technically because of government regulation'.  

I didn't realize you meant government warehouse as 'government regulation', as the 4 years and 100 proof are also government regulated. I also should have paid attention to who you are and your number of posts and I would've known you knew that. A case of hitting the submit button without fully reading the post you're quoting.

I also think that distillers are choosing not to designate everything that would qualify as BIB for marketing purposes. If you have one "special" BIB in your line versus having several. I do find it curious that HH uses the BIB designation on the Henry McKenna. I would think 10 years and Single Barrel would be enough to distinguish it from other bourbons in that price point.

Edited by BDanner

LOVE the BiBs, EW, HMCk, HH6YR, OGD, VOB, I haven't made the full rounds of the others but I will. I have yet to meet a BiB I don't at least like and some I like a LOT (HH6 & OGD). BiBs have become the primary focus for me in terms of acquisition and new things to try and make up at least 50% of my bourbon consumption. 

BiBs are just good basic pours that always satisfy and as another poster said the 100 proof point is a real sweet spot for Bourbon. Once I got over the hump of LEs and trying all sorts of different expressions and "must haves" I settled into a groove of going to solid reliable and good tasting pours.  The BiBs suit this perfectly so while they may not get the press that more trendy expressions get, they certainly deliver the goods. I hope the category not only continues but flourishes. Looking forward to Castle and Key in a few years to name just one.

Think I will enjoy a BiB tonight in fact, cheers!! 

51 minutes ago, BDanner said:

Pretty sure all whiskey warehouses have to be bonded so that isn't really an issue

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.